A Battle in The Silver Chair?

Discussions on the upcoming film by CS Lewis Company and Mark Gordon Co.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, jesusgirl4ever, Ajnos

HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

A Battle in The Silver Chair?

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:27 pm

It occurred to me, that since all the recent Narnia movies have had feature battles that they might try to put a battle in The Silver Chair. After all, there are two possible armies that could attack Narnia: the Giants of Ettinsmoor and the Underland Gnomes.

Altered Version 1: The Giants of Ettinsmoor attack Narnia because they are angry about their Autumn Feast not being as elaborate as originally planned.

Altered Version 2: The Lady of the Green Kirtle gets further along in attacking Narnia than she should. She uses her enchanted gnomes to attack Narnia. Jill and Eustace barely stop her before she reaches the throne of Narnia.

Altered Version 3: The Gnomes attack Narnia, but stop when the witch is killed. They are so horrified that they were enchanted to fight for her, that they decide to attack the Giants of Ettinsmoor who are also attacking Narnia.

My question is: Why do we have to have a battle? Isn't the story itself interesting enough already?

I hope they do not have the gnomes attack Narnia, they are such friendly people and it would be very sad to see them fighting Narnia just because they were enchanted. We would probably also never find out about Bism, but the movie might cut that scene for time anyway. I also do not think gnomes would stick around to fight the Giants of Ettinsmoor since they are so afraid of being on the surface.

What are your thoughts?
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well." - John 14:6-7a
jesusgirl4ever

Re: A Battle in The Silver Chair?

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:32 pm

Why do we have to have a battle? Isn't the story itself interesting enough already?
Yes. For the fans. But I would guess that it isn't interesting enough for the filmmakers. If they have to add one, I like your version 2.
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
elanorelle
Contributor

Post by elanorelle » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:14 pm

I don't think I'd want to see a "battle" (as in armies against armies) for this film. Canon please! :P
Honestly I think the journey, chase scene, mystery of the Underland and it's inhabitants, and the destruction of the witch are all that is needed for this film. Fighting the LotGK should be a battle enough, yes?
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:37 pm

Huh, hadn't thought of that. I think a lot of us are hoping for canon, but... well, even if they want to bump up the action, they might not have to go with the gnomes (or giants) attacking Narnia (ie: army vs army). Just make the Underland fight bigger than it ought to be. LotGK could call for the two gnomes (or more) that are outside Rilian's chambers. Or her spell could wear off over time rather than dissipate immediately, thus forcing our heroes to fight at least part of the way out. Or is Bism is omitted and the gnomes are changed to be native to LotGK's realm... but then there's the difficulty of four (one of whom is injured and another of whom knows nothing of fighting) against myriads.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:10 pm

*hopes they can add a battle and yet at the same time wants them to keep it canon*
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
Lily of Archenland
ROotL

Post by Lily of Archenland » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:15 am

If they "needed" more action...
a) Extend the throwing-game scene with the Ettins from towards the beginning?
b) Honestly, the Underlanders' initial assumption that they'd need to prepare to defend themselves when the Witch was dead allows for some fairly impressive tension and mass-CGI movements, together with glimpses of Bism through the crack in the earth, if the main reason for a battle is to show of the filmmakers' chops. Or even a brief flashback to the initial capture of the Underlanders with more attempts at resisting the Lady than are strictly canon spliced into Golg's narration.
c) If the objective is heightened imminent-danger tension rather than letting the CGI department show their chops, perhaps glimpses of possible fates for those who do not return to the sunlit lands? Or one or more characters actually getting caught in the water and almost drowning before the others save them and full them to higher ground on the way out of Underland? Or pieces of the Lady's city collapsing around them during the exit?
Ajnos
Site Admin

Post by Ajnos » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:38 pm

Since Mark Gordon (who is the main producer for the movie) was the producer behind both The Day after Tomorrow and 2012, I like to think they'll focus their CGI skills on the destruction of Underland and Bism rather than a battle. Both these movies were apocalyptic-type stories with large scale destruction and I think they could put that to good effect. Having said that, I wouldn't like it overdone (like some of the scenes in the Hobbit - I'm thinking especially of the Goblin-caves scene :P )
Thank you for the set Happy!!

Born a Daughter of Eve; Now a Daughter of the Second Adam
Lily of Archenland
ROotL

Post by Lily of Archenland » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:27 pm

Amen on the Hobbit-syndrome-avoidance. :p Let the thing stand as a story, dressed to kill or not - don't cram in awkward action extensions which are obviously saying "Do you want to play this as a video game yet/ Do you?"
Lil
Site Admin

Post by Lil » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:28 am

Don't give anyone Ideas!!! :P
HermitoftheNorthernMarch wrote:It occurred to me, that since all the recent Narnia movies have had feature battles that they might try to put a battle in The Silver Chair. After all, there are two possible armies that could attack Narnia: the Giants of Ettinsmoor and the Underland Gnomes.

Altered Version 1: The Giants of Ettinsmoor attack Narnia because they are angry about their Autumn Feast not being as elaborate as originally planned.

Altered Version 2: The Lady of the Green Kirtle gets further along in attacking Narnia than she should. She uses her enchanted gnomes to attack Narnia. Jill and Eustace barely stop her before she reaches the throne of Narnia.

Altered Version 3: The Gnomes attack Narnia, but stop when the witch is killed. They are so horrified that they were enchanted to fight for her, that they decide to attack the Giants of Ettinsmoor who are also attacking Narnia.

My question is: Why do we have to have a battle? Isn't the story itself interesting enough already?

I hope they do not have the gnomes attack Narnia, they are such friendly people and it would be very sad to see them fighting Narnia just because they were enchanted. We would probably also never find out about Bism, but the movie might cut that scene for time anyway. I also do not think gnomes would stick around to fight the Giants of Ettinsmoor since they are so afraid of being on the surface.

What are your thoughts?

Canon, please.

But I think with Douglas Gresham (what seems according to the latest interview/statement we saw) more in control we can expect to see a cannon based movie as he himself seemed to identify himself as one who doesn't like any changes from the book.
Avvie by Siberian Christmas. Signature by Ariel of Narnia

"Maybe Redemption has stories to tell. Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell. Where can you run to escape from yourself? Where you gonna go? Salvation is here." - Dare You to Move (Switchfoot.)
Lily of Archenland
ROotL

Post by Lily of Archenland » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:04 am

*Canon? I'm pretty sure it's one N is you're talking about Authorized Versions of things, and two for the weapon - although it gets confusing because the weapon is used as a pun for the authorized version so frequently in fan-circles....

Return to “The Silver Chair”