Summer Challenge Sharing Thread

Read and discuss the Last Battle with us (July 14-21)

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Ajnos, Lil, Lily of Archenland, miniver

hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Re: Summer Challenge Sharing Thread

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:00 pm

Here's the song I wrote for LB. The lyrics are in the description.
http://www.godtube.com/watch/?v=0M9E9FNU
(Link approved by Ajnos.)
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:37 pm

Hobbit, That. Was. AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:38 pm

Oh...thank you! (It's the first song I've ever posted anywhere... :P )
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:40 pm

If you're written more, you should definitely post them! :D
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
Ajnos
Site Admin

Post by Ajnos » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:27 pm

You already know I love it, but I'll say it again publicly.

I'm extending the deadline for getting in your reflections till Friday. That gives those who have fallen behind a chance to catch up and anyone that couldn't take part last week might want to join in.

Further up and further in!!
Thank you for the set Happy!!

Born a Daughter of Eve; Now a Daughter of the Second Adam
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:32 pm

And here's my picture of scenes from LB (White Rose approved the link).
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-2WN3l_SK0Vc/U ... B+pics.JPG
1. But at last, when he was almost tired to death, and bruised all over and numb with cold, he succeeded in gripping the thing with his teeth.
2. The King's sword went up and the Unicorn's horn went down. They rushed forward together.
3. There was only one that did not look at all unhappy. It was a ginger cat--a great big Tom in the prime of life--who sat bolt upright with his tail curled round his toes, in the very front row of the Beasts.
4. At once the first Mouse climbed nimbly up till he was perched on the rope that bound Tirian's chest and was wrinkling his blunt nose in front of Tirian's face.
5. "Look you!" said Tirian as he drew out a long mail shirt of a curious pattern and flashed it before the children's eyes.
6. Before he knew well what was happening, the Calormene sentry found his right hand seized in a mighty grip. Next instant someone was kneeling on his legs and a dagger was pressed against his neck.
7. When everyone had eaten as much as he could, the three humans and the Dwarf came and sat on the doorstep, the four-footed ones lay down facing them, the Dwarf (with permission both from Tirian and from Jill) lit his pipe...
8. It was small, and looked black against the blue. "I dare swear," said the Unicorn, "from its flight, that it is a Talking bird."
9. "Kiss me, Jewel," he said. "For certainly this is our last night on earth. And if ever I offended you in any matter great or small, forgive me now."
10. Quickly and quietly she cut the last cord that bound the lion-skin to him.
11. "Go and drink your own medicine, Shift!" said Tirian and hurled the Ape through into the darkness.
12. But immediately, from behind Tash, strong and calm as the summer sea, a voice said: "Begone, Monster, and take your lawful prey to your own place: in the name of Aslan and of Aslan's great Father, the Emperor-over-Sea."
13. What was the fruit like? Unfortunately no one can describe a taste.
14. So now they saw showers of glittering people, all with long hair like burning silver and spears
like white-hot metal, rushing down to them out of the black air, swifter than falling stones.
15. He shook his mane and sprang forward into a great gallop--a Unicorn's gallop which, in our world, would have carried him out of sight in a few moments.
16. Then Aslan turned to them...
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:24 pm

@Hobbit: I'll have to listen to the song another time, but I like the lyrics! And your drawings are lovely!

Apologies for my lateness in posting. I hadn't had the time to do so. Links approved by Wrosie.

Days 7&8:
http://lionessgraphics.files.wordpress. ... =604&h=432
Chapter 13 - Marvel: Aside from the oddity that was a door "leading to nowhere" (complete with the crack Tirian looked through), the beauty and glory of what surrounded our heroes is a marvel to both us and them, especially after coming from the other side of the door.
Chapter 14 - End: The massive red sun rising, drawing the moon ever closer to him, dropping flaming coals into the floods that cover Narnia. I included the stars falling here even though they came down prior to the sun and moon's deaths both because I love stars and because I figured I might as well capture all the heavenly bodies together. Besides, the stars mark the beginning of the end and the sun the end of the end.
Chapter 15 - Home: A horrifically pitiful representation of the home they were made for as Farsight might have seen it. *cues Switchfoot's "This is Home"*

http://lionessgraphics.files.wordpress. ... =604&h=432
Chapter 16 - Come Further Up, Come Further In
This chapter warranted its own page, uncluttered by any other sketchings. This is the culmination of all that we love about Narnia and a promise to those of us who know something of what we'll find on the other side of our own stable door. While there were several different words or phrases I could have chosen, this one stood out the most. I just about cried on the inside with the beauty of Tumnus' words: that the further up and further in you go, the bigger it all grows. I've never had that reaction to that line before, but this time around, something in me went, "O-h-h-h-h-h-h-h...." Lewis couldn't do Heaven justice. He didn't try to. But, oh, in that moment, how did I look forward to the day that my limited mind is no more and I can understand that glorious truth! (I'm tearing up a little at this very moment, I'm that gripped by this!)
And thus begins the Great Adventure for which all that we know is but the cover and title page.
"I must keep alive in myself the desire for my true country, which I shall not find till after death; I must never let it get snowed under or turned aside; I must make it the main object of life to press on to that country and to help others to do the same." ~ C.S. Lewis
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
Benisse
Site Admin

Post by Benisse » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:32 am

Tash
silent stench
stealing through the trees
mercilessly
death and void in its wake
Tashlan?
Never! Image
Xin Yesu, Xiang Yesu - Believe Jesus, Be like Jesus
LWW art in my avvy and siggy by my daughter
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:06 pm

Wow, that's cool, Benisse!
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
Ajnos
Site Admin

Post by Ajnos » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:24 pm

That's really good Benisse. I'm sorry I didn't get a photo of the Tash-like clouds.

This is late, but here's a few more character profiles (I actually wrote them up some days ago)

Chapters 7 & 8

Poggin

Name: Poggin
Species: Dwarf
Physical Description: Not given
Role: The only dwarf loyal to the king, was able to inform them on Rishda and Ginger's schemes

Character/Personality - What we learn about the character:
Firstly, Poggin is loyal to the point that he refuses to bow to peer pressure. Unlike the other dwarfs, he believes Tirian's story and rallies to his side when the others reject him. Notice, he is hesitant at first (he does not go over to Tirian at once, but runs back after them after departing, but once he has made up his mind, his loyalty is unwavering. At first, Poggin's joining the King and his friends merely brings brief encouragement to the group ("Of course one single dwarf could not make a very great difference, but it was somehow very cheering to have even one. The whole party brightened up"). But Poggin also proves a vital asset to the group because he knows a great deal about what is going on behind the scenes. Not only can he tell them what Shift has been up to, but he also happened to stumble on a meeting between Rishda Tarkaan and Ginger the Cat, which reveals that the conspiracy lies deeper than everyone originally imagined. We could possibly compare Poggin to a recent convert. Not only do such people bring enthusiasm and encouragement, but as a result of their recent background, they might be able to share important information about how the enemy works and the kinds of lies he is using to keep people away from the truth. We should be grateful for Poggins, who keep us encouraged and in touch with what's going on outside our holy huddles!

Rishda

Name: Rishda Tarkaan
Species: Human (Calormene)
Physical Description: A calormene (i.e. dark) of Tarkaan rank. Wears a helmet instead of a turban
Role: Leader of the Calormene contingent. Originally thought to be working for Shift, but later revealed to be controlling the Ape and his plans

Evil, but in a different way to Shift. He was double-dealing with the Ape, pretending to merely be part of his schemes to sell Narnians into slavery, but actually part of a greater plot by the Calormenes to overrun Narnia. He pretends to agree with Shift's nonsense about "Tashlan", but in fact, not only disagrees with the two not being the same, but does not believe in the existence of either. He believes that "all who are enlightened know that". He is in for a terrible shock when he discovers that Tash is in fact very real and he has unwittingly called on a god he does not believe in. Rishda represents a villain more evil even than Shift because Shift is driven by selfishness. Shift wants apples and oranges and nuts and wants people to fulfil his whims. He likes bossing people around and calling them names. But Rishda's plans are more evil. They involve complete deceit, even of those working for him, and desire for conquest and enslavement of others under him. Shift is willing to sell people into slavery to get his own desires met. Rishda wishes to be a slave master. It is somewhat ironic here to discover that Shift is being abused in quite the same way he abuses Puzzle at the beginning.

Ginger

Name: Ginger
Species: Talking Cat
Physical Description: A ginger cat - a great big Tom in the prime of his life
Role: One of the chief antagonists

Ginger shares many characteristics with Rishda discussed above. There are two key differences, however. Firstly, he is Narnian and not Calormene which in some ways makes his treachery worse. Calormen has long had its sights on conquering Narnia, so one would not be surprised to find a man like Rishda with just that target in mind. But Ginger is a free Narnian who has chosen to throw in his lot with the enemy for whatever personal gain he hopes to get out of it. Secondly, Ginger is especially dangerous because he acts as a plant. He pretends to be part of the ignorant, curious Narnian crowd. In this way, he is able to add to the confusion of the Narnians by asking questions and making comments that they think are the concerns of a fellow Narnian, whereas he is really using his position to cement their uncertainty. "Does the Tarkaan agree that Tash is (especially) no more than Aslan" (i.e. that neither exist). He also pretends to be willing to put the stable to the test with the plan of luring other Narnians into it that they may be kidnapped or killed. Ginger represents the false insider that lures people into a false sense of security and into accepting lies of a false teacher. Poor Ginger probably suffers the worst fate of anyone in the story as a result of his treachery. Not only does he meet the Tash in whom he did not believe face to face, but he has his speech taken from him and ceases to be a talking cat.
Thank you for the set Happy!!

Born a Daughter of Eve; Now a Daughter of the Second Adam

Return to “Summer Challenge 2014”