How to Train Your Dragon discussion thread **SPOILERS**

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Ajnos, White Rose, Swanwhite, kristi

Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

How to Train Your Dragon discussion thread **SPOILERS**

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:02 am

If you haven't seen the How to Train Your Dragon movies yet, you should be watching them instead of lurking about in here. :P Okay, not quite. But there are spoilers here for both movies. You've been warned.
(But seriously. Good stuff. :D )

So. I'm starting this off with something from HTTYD2. So if you don't want this bit spoiled before you see it, stop reading here.

Last chance....

Okay.

Stoick!!! I haven't even seen him die yet and I know I will hate it. And love it at the same time. (Why must characters die right after they do something epic? Why?!) Because he loves Hiccup enough to do that. And that makes him both a great chief and a great dad. And if the music is anything to go by (which, judging by the first movie, it definitely is), this scene and his burial (is sending a boat out to sea considered a burial?) are going to activate the feels. Possibly the waterworks, but that remains to be seen.
But I know that this is necessary for Hiccup's character development. And that, I'm hoping, will do his dad's epic heroism justice.

That's all I have to say for now. :D
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Re: How to Train Your Dragon discussion thread **SPOILERS**

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:20 pm

Ahhhhhhh! Stoick dies?? No!!!!!!!!! (I love spoilers, mwahahaha!)
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:36 pm

I love spoilers too! (I mean, I probably won't even see HTTYD2 for at least a while....)

Yeah. There's a piece onthe soundtrack titled "Stock Saves Hiccup", which gets an emotional sound to it, followed by an even more emotional "Stoick's Ship". PluggedIn revealed that he jumps in front of "someone" (Hiccup, obviously) and takes a dragon's fire-blast full-on. :cry:
knight and scribe
Eriathwen
ROotL

Post by Eriathwen » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:55 am

So I just got back from seeing it! IT'S AMAZING!! But I mean the feels...no seriously THE FEELS!!!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
So all I have to say is it is one of the best animated sequels out there!! No seriously it is soooo good.
Now I guess that since this is the spoiler thread I get to give spoilers :P
So I am going to start with the feels (which basically as Ariel states starts with Stoick's death) And basically lasts the rest of the movie :cry:
So yes Stoick does die jumping in front of Hiccup. But the saddest thing is, is that Toothless is the one who kills him :cry: (Although it isn't really his fault and he is being controlled by the Alpha) And then when Hiccup pushes Toothless away OOOOOOOOO! It's double split feels!! And then when Hiccup tries to bring Toothless out of the trance !!!!!!!!!! FEELS AGAIN. I mean seriously my face and shirt were so wet by the end of film. It's like Dreamworks plan was to fill the theatre with tears! O.O

THE ANIMATION WAS WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!! It's tremendously good!
There is also very much hilarity!! Toothless is as ADORABLE as ever ;) And the rest of the gang are great!! They are all grown up ^.^ I LOVED Cate Blanchett as his mother too!

It's really entirely difficult to sum up how AMAZING the movie really is!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
But if there is anything else anyone (*cough* Ariel) wants to know I'd be happy to spill the beans ;)
The Elf of Narnia
Love makes people so
elanorelle
Contributor

Post by elanorelle » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:24 am

Eria's right. There is so much to like about HTTYD2 it really couldn't be summed up. Not a single part of it was boring which surprised me because sequels are not normally so engaging.

I don't know where to start...
The animation was breathtaking and I loved the parts where Hiccup was flying on Toothless - so great to just sit and watch and enjoy.
TOOTHLESS!!! I think that's all I need to say...
Valka's character was a nice addition, I really enjoyed seeing the entire family together and it made it all the more sad when Stoick died***.
The plot was thought out very well and made a couple of twists and turns. Although Drago wasn't exactly "rounded" he made for a terribly good bad guy.
***Stoick's heroic death. I think Eria pretty much covered it... Toothless doing it just made it all the worse (not that he had a choice) and Hiccup turning him away... :( I didn't cry myself but I did tear up which is not something that normally happens when I watch sad movies.
But this wasn't too much of a sad movie (just the latter part :P ) there's a lot of fun to go around even towards the end (probably to help people recover).

Three syllable summary = Just too good.
Last edited by elanorelle on Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:03 am

**CRIES** No! Nononononono no no no! *cries again* I'll... I'll.. I'll bloody his (non-prosthetic) fist with his own face! *cries yet again* (Yes, I skimmed the other stuff both of you said to hone in on that part first.)

So. Now that that's over with... *sniffles*. I'm particularly curious about two things.
Valka. One reviewer I read wish they'd done more with her, especially since she basically "monologued about her decision to take care of dragons instead of her son". Please expand. I know that her reasoning was that she wouldn't be able to change Stoick's mind about dragons. But seriously. She abandoned her son. Coolness points go down.
Drago. The same reviewer had mentioned that he was flat and that they had tried to give him some layering by showing that he and Hiccup have something in common, that being bodily harm due to a dragon.

And of course, any and all other beans you wish to spill. :D
(*quietly weeps over Stoick again*)
knight and scribe
Eriathwen
ROotL

Post by Eriathwen » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:34 am

*patpats Ariel and gives encouraging hugs*

Oh okay, Valka, yes she was interesting. Well she didn't exactly "abandon" him, when he was very young Berk was being attacked by dragons and she wanted the fighting to stop. And then (skips over parts so Ariel can still see some of the movie without knowing everything) she is basically abducted by a dragon which then becomes hers later, Cloudjumper. It is true that Stoick and the others didn't agree with her about the dragons but it isn't why she left (because she didn't choose to go) it is partly the reason she didn't go back, because she cared for the dragons and knew that Berk wouldn't accept her for her views and she believed Hiccup would take after Stoick instead of her. She does ask Hiccup for forgiveness though :)

Well yes, Drago isn't a very rounded character, and yes Hiccup and he do both share a bodily injury. There is however some background information about Stoick and him from the past. (I won't tell you everything about so you can see it for yourself) And other then that there isn't really any backstory and his reasoning for building his dragon army is to ultimately take complete control of everyone and all the dragons.

:D :D Spilling beans is a very enjoyable task!
Well lets see...
Toothless shows more of his amazing Nightfury abilities and commits a large act of bravery
Ruffnut makes up a large part of the hilarity
Eret was a nice addition and though he didn't take up a very large portion of the movie he was important and by the end a rather likeable chap.
The Elf of Narnia
Love makes people so
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:34 pm

*playfully glares* The more spoilers, the merrier!
Mm... *still wonders why she wouldn't go back for her son* Everything in me is saying how wrong that is....

Ooh, I like backstory.

Speaking of, how are his uber-sharp turns now that he knows to use those extra fins?
Ruff or Tuff? (Heh, or both?)
Oh, good to know that Eret is neither show-stealing nor pointless. :)
knight and scribe
albero1
Knight
Location: SCREAMING because 21 Pilots just released a new song! *victory dance*

Post by albero1 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:23 pm

Ruff. :D
Lady Albero, Royal Vocalist and Scrivener of Fanfictions, Knight of TLC
Lyrics from House of Gold by Twenty One Pilots
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:33 pm

Yay, Berry! :D
I assume a fair portion of her contributions to humor have to do with Eret?
knight and scribe

Return to “Town Square Archives”