Les Miserable Discussion *SPOILERS AND HEARTBREAK*

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Ajnos, White Rose, Swanwhite, kristi

albero1
Knight
Location: SCREAMING because 21 Pilots just released a new song! *victory dance*

Les Miserable Discussion *SPOILERS AND HEARTBREAK*

Post by albero1 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:48 pm

FYI: Ariel said this thread would be fine on the stipulation that no one discussed in any great detail....some certain scenes. She said she doubted anyone at all would, anyway. Now I shall proceed:

I know some people here have seen Les Mis so I thought I'd start a thread so our hearts could break together.

I thought I cried during BoFA. Now, anytime I tell people to watch Les Mis, I tell them, "It'll rip your soul out but it'll be awesome."

So one thing my friend pointed out to me the other when we were watching it: During the scene where Valjean and Cosette are running from Javert, and they run into the man who Valjean rescued all those years ago in the convent-type place, the song the nuns are singing has the exact same tune as Empty Chairs at Empty Tables. I've been trying to decipher the symbolism or parallel or foreshadowing or some other literary device but so far I haven't really come up with anything. Anyone else have a guess?

Can I just say that I hate Marius? Like, he's a nice character and Eddie Redmayne is pretty fantastic but *incoherent wailing* EPONINE. She got So. Freaking. Friendzoned. It's kind of funny, because if you ever for some reason watched the movie with me, there'll be scenes between Marius and Eponine where (yes, I talk to the tv) I'll say "Just tell him, Eponine! He hasn't even met Cosette yet, you fool!"

So I've heard a lot of people say that they disliked Russel Crowe's performance, but I thought it was quite impressive. Amanda Seyfried, Eddie Redmayne, and Hugh Jackman were also quite impressive, but the ones who stood out to me the most, both for acting and singing, were Samantha Barks, Aaron Tveit, and Anne Hathaway. They were all just phenomenal.

Sorry for how long this is. I had a lot to say. :P
Lady Albero, Royal Vocalist and Scrivener of Fanfictions, Knight of TLC
Lyrics from House of Gold by Twenty One Pilots
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Re: Les Miserable Discussion *SPOILERS AND HEARTBREAK*

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:30 am

Regarding the recurring musical themes, I was told that that was for performers' ease in a huge production like this. There are other places in which tunes are repeated. Just can't think of which right now.

I dislike Marius but not because he friendzoned Eponine. For one thing I don't care about him. For another... Enjolras outshines him. For another... Cosette? Really?! There's nothing special about her (grown up, anyway). Also, Disney romance ("we shall be married in the morning!" anyone?).

I'm one of the folks who like Russell Crowe in there. And I prefer his voice to Hugh Jackman's.

My favourite characters are, hands-down, Valjean and Enjolras. My favourite songs are "Suddenly" (not part of the original musical, but I love it) and "One Day More".
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
hansgeorg
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by hansgeorg » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:12 am

1) It is on the index of forbidden books
2) the figure of Thénardier being a barman is based on Thénard who was not, but who was a chemist.

If you want to know what barmans are like, look at Butterbur in LotR (not on index), and Thénard was probably bad for a chemist even. As I recall he was in some ways for overworking employees. Bad for employees, and bad for more honest competitors and the survival of their business.
elanorelle
Contributor

Post by elanorelle » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:43 am

Les Misérables - have not seen the film nor the musical. I do have the book packed somewhere but I've never read it. I have heard some music thanks to a medley video by Nick Pitera which had me listening to some songs in full.
Lil
Site Admin

Post by Lil » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:19 am

My favorite movie/musical/book I love to cry about!

I am glad someone made this thread.

I have been around Les Miserables since I was little (although at that time I had little clue what was going on.)

So I have seen several versions of Les Miserables, starting with some anniversary version mom brought home from the library back when it was on two VHS cassettes. (I loved Cossette from the beginning, possibly because she was the only child I saw in the whole confusing thing that I could relate too.)

Later on mother gave me a movie version which even though I thought it was pretty well done I will call the no name brand movie. I do not recall it having any of the songs in it.

Later on I stumbled on Liam Neeson as Jean Valjean. <3 <3 <3 He and the cosset of that version I simply love. Again no songs and the ending is slightly different and shorter. but although I didn't like the actress they picked for Fantine in that version, but I recall thinking it was a fairly good version.

I must admit here I have not seen the newest version, only clips, but I already have several good things to say about it.

Interesting (or not as the case may be) Note on Marius:

if I recall correctly, I think I remember reading somewhere (even though I have never read the book through. >.< I know. shame.) that Marius in the book saves Valjean (I don't recall if he knows who he is.) from being robbed and killed by Thénardier and Patron-Minette. I recall once happening upon the section on him in the books where he finds out about his father (who was made out to be a horrible person by the grandfather) and finding out about he wasn't and about his fathers military exploits and that he had been made a baron and a colonel by Napoleon Bonaparte. These things added a little more to his character for me, and made me come to love him more or if not at least have great sympathy and understanding for him.
Avvie by Siberian Christmas. Signature by Ariel of Narnia

"Maybe Redemption has stories to tell. Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell. Where can you run to escape from yourself? Where you gonna go? Salvation is here." - Dare You to Move (Switchfoot.)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:58 am

Well, now that you've gone and brought up the Liam Neeson version... compare/contrast time: Neeson version vs Jackman version!

My biggest thing is how the story plays out in both. The Neeson one was very much mano y mano (ie: Valjean vs Javert) while the Jackman one was more idea vs idea (ie: grace (as embodied in Valjean) vs law (as embodied in Javert)). This is my number one reason for preferring the Jackman version.
Related to how both films did the story, the Neeson version was kinda like, "Oh, yeah, there's this revolution going on. Now that that commercial break is over, back to Valjean and Javert!" The Jackman version, since it focused on theme rather than Valjean and Javert, allowed for world-expansion without hurting the story - in fact, I think it strengthens the theme and Valjean-vs-Javert, such as when Valjean releases Javert at the barricade. (Though I imagine stuff like budgets and such also played a role in both films.)

I liked that Neeson's Valjean had certain elements missed in the Jackman version, such as the scenes in which he learns to read after having become mayor. But I do prefer Jackman's more dynamic performance. :)

Likewise, Geoffrey Rush and Russell Crowe had different takes on Javert. Now that I think of it, I think Rush's Javert was more of a policeman while Crowe's was more soldierly (even though he's still a policeman). I think I prefer the stronger drive to Crowe's Javert.... Plus, the Rush-Javert shackled himself... in front of Valjean... and fell backward into the river. #1: Why bother with the shackles? (Symbolism is my guess: shackled by the law?) #2: Um... Valjean? You just gonna let him drown?

Now Cosette is going to break the current trend. The Jackman version pretty much reduced her to a Disney Princess (seriously, she's pretty much Snow White... down to the creeper dude singing to her in the garden! lol). The Neeson version gave her more character, particularly in that they showed some everyday interaction between her and Valjean, some real father-daughter relationship. She did more than just pine away for her twue wuv.

Back to my trend with Marius. The Neeson version made him a little teenager who didn't come off as someone who'd actively lead a revolution. The Jackman version made him believable. I don't like him in either, but I do prefer the Jackman version.

The Neeson version gave Fantine more screentime and definitely more time with Valjean. On the one hand, that was nice insofar as seeing more of her character. On the other, I only cared so much. That version also made her decline an obviously slow and painful process, whereas the Jackman version rather looks like it all happened in one night. Pros and cons to both approaches, really.

Neeson version skipped Enjolras and Gavroche. Jackman version had me liking Enjolras especially within minutes.

Honestly don't remember anything about Eponine and the Thenadiers in the Neeson version, so I can't say anything there. The Ts are absolutely disgusting in the Jackman version, though.
knight and scribe
Lil
Site Admin

Post by Lil » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:17 pm

The T's are absolutely disgusting in any version aren't they? Although props to the actors in the newest Version. "Our Collette." "Cossette." :P
Avvie by Siberian Christmas. Signature by Ariel of Narnia

"Maybe Redemption has stories to tell. Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell. Where can you run to escape from yourself? Where you gonna go? Salvation is here." - Dare You to Move (Switchfoot.)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:07 pm

Well, yes, this is true. Though the Javkman version makes them so utterly revolting in every way. *shudders*
Haha, yes, I love that bit!
knight and scribe

Return to “Town Square Archives”