Hobbit Discussion *SPOILERS* Thread

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Ajnos, White Rose, Swanwhite, kristi

elanorelle
Contributor

Re: Hobbit Discussion *SPOILERS* Thread

Post by elanorelle » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:48 am

Haha, true. Basically the entire battle wasn't in the book (or written about, anyway). :P
ShiofNarnia
Knight

Post by ShiofNarnia » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:33 am

Yeah and they didn't even make Fili and Kili die defending Thorin "shield and body." :( I need to read that book again ....
Love your set, btw, Ella.
Lady Shi, Royal Photographer and Otter Keeper
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:00 am

That was the part about their dying in the movie that ticked me off the most. I mean, sure if you want, kill Fili off horribly first if you want so we get the satisfaction of seeing Kili go berserk (though I'd personally prefer it the other way around, but anyway).... The revenge arc, Bolg, and Tauriel got in the way.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
elanorelle
Contributor

Post by elanorelle » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:26 am

Agreed, take out Bolg, Legolas and Tauriel, and it would be much better for me. I do love the exchange between Bilbo and Thorin and wouldn't like to see that changed because... feels.

A bit off topic here, I got two HUGE BoFA movie posters from our local cinema. One is with Bilbo pointing his sword outwards and the other is of him kneeling. You can imagine how excited I was to get them even if they are for Eria's party. :mrgreen:
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:33 am

:O I'd offer to buy them off you, but... I've a feeling they're not for sale. ;)
knight and scribe
elanorelle
Contributor

Post by elanorelle » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:27 pm

Anyone else know that the extended edition of BoFA is rated R? I'm not sure how I feel about that - Middle-earth films are violent enough as they are.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:23 pm

*raises brow* Wow. That's sorta surprising. Well, I guess my list of R movies watched will go up by one now.
knight and scribe
always narnian
Site Admin

Post by always narnian » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:21 am

I missed this discussion before, but Fili and Kili's deaths were a big disappointment to me. I literally CRIED at Fili dying, and I don't cry easily. It was mostly because how traumatizing it was—Middle Earth deaths usually give you time to pause, this was so unexpected and so....degrading!

I did see that BOTFA extended edition was rated R. I almost found that strange. I don't remember BOTFA really being as violent as I had expected in itself.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:26 am

It could be that the volume, rather than the intensity, of the violence is what's given the EE an upped rating.
knight and scribe
Lil
Site Admin

Post by Lil » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:29 pm

(sorry if I've given my thoughts before I don't remember.)

I liked Tauriel pretty much (I expected to hate her) even in the begining in of BotFA (except I do think she became a plot piece.) It's sad because Evangeline Lily didn't want to be part of another love triangle (I guess she was in the show she was part of before?) and that's what it ended up as. I didn't like legolas as much (he was good just not as great as LotR Legolas...) Fili should have still had commitment to his brother and Uncle over Tauriel. (Fili makes me so sad. He became my top favorite dwarf.) Still even though I didn't expect to enjoy BotFA because I found it enough parts that I enjoyed. It was still a moving movie for me, but I'm still sad that Fili and Kili didn't die defending their uncle "with Shield and body."

(I'm still surprised how much darker the Hobbit movies seemed than LotR which I had trouble with I first began LotR) I started reading the book again and it made it so much sadder when Kili and Fili and Thorin died.
Avvie by Siberian Christmas. Signature by Ariel of Narnia

"Maybe Redemption has stories to tell. Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell. Where can you run to escape from yourself? Where you gonna go? Salvation is here." - Dare You to Move (Switchfoot.)

Return to “Town Square Archives”