Hobbit Discussion *SPOILERS* Thread

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Ajnos, White Rose, Swanwhite, kristi

Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Re: Hobbit Discussion *SPOILERS* Thread

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:32 pm

I think part of TH's being darker than LotR (films, obviously) is that standards are a little different ten years later. When LotR came out, they purposely pushed it that close to the R rating. (Heard that in some behind-the-scenes video, but don't remember which.) Standards seem to have lowered at least a little in the meantime.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
Lil
Site Admin

Post by Lil » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:16 am

Ariel.of.Narnia wrote:I think part of TH's being darker than LotR (films, obviously) is that standards are a little different ten years later. When LotR came out, they purposely pushed it that close to the R rating. (Heard that in some behind-the-scenes video, but don't remember which.) Standards seem to have lowered at least a little in the meantime.
So the first Hobbit was great the first time I saw it (though as I say I was surprised by it.) however for current rewatchings I might skip the dragon attack in the begining. It's very well done, but it's hard for me to watch all the fire and pillars burning down and people running around screaming (like even I think little kids? before his momma finds him) and it's a little more desolation than I prefer in my movies. Still as an adult, I find some parts of LotR still bother me too
Avvie by Siberian Christmas. Signature by Ariel of Narnia

"Maybe Redemption has stories to tell. Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell. Where can you run to escape from yourself? Where you gonna go? Salvation is here." - Dare You to Move (Switchfoot.)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:42 am

Desolation is always worse when there are kids involved.
I know what you mean. I've slowly become used to LotR's stuff, but the one bit that still will bother me is the heads over the walls of Minas Tirith. I mean, no wonder that tactic worked so well in dis-spiriting the people within! *shudders*
knight and scribe
Shield Maiden
Knight

Post by Shield Maiden » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:40 pm

The theatrical release of BotFA was PG13, but the EE is rated R. Apparently it's due to violence, which makes me a little wary. How can it be any more violent than it was in theatres?

I would much rather watch LotR than the Hobbit - because LotR is more intense. It was gritty and didn't rely on as many special effects as Hobbit did. The stakes were higher, and the plot moved much faster (well, somewhat faster). I can't tell if one is more violent than the other.

Coping with violence - in one of my drama classes, we learned how to stage fight scenes (both armed and unarmed), so I learned how to put together a swordfight for a performance. I also ended up learning how to do gore makeup (cuts, bruises, impalings, the like) - which is immensely fascinating, to be honest. So when I see a violent movie (like LotR), I tend to see the choreography and the skillmanship involved in putting together a fast-paced and complicated fight instead of the violent outcome. [Fun fact: for every minute of on-stage/screen fight, the actors have to rehearse an hour.] Same with gore - I focus more on /how/ the filmmakers created the gore instead "oh that person is seriously injured and it's super gross."
Team Cap. Sig made by Ariel.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:35 am

Ditto on preferring LotR to TH.
Fight scenes fascinate me too, so long as they don't get too icky. The choreography, the training, the timing, the camera's view, the fact that they're (usually) not actually hurting each other, /plus/ acting in the midst of it... wow. Even better when it's hand-to-hand combat. :P
Again, though, I suspect that BoFA: EE got bumped up for sheer volume. There's already a whack-load of fighting in the theatrical and the EE would only add more.
knight and scribe

Return to “Town Square Archives”