Summer Challenge Sharing Thread

Join us as we read through a book of the Chronicles of Narnia together and share our thoughts chapter by chapter. Get your copy of the Voyage of the Dawn Treader ready! Or the library's, that's fine too.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Ajnos, White Rose, Swanwhite, kristi

Swanwhite
Site Admin

Re: Summer Challenge Sharing Thread

Post by Swanwhite » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:11 pm

Wanted to share these pictures that remind of VDT.

This is the painting of a ship that hangs on my bedroom wall. :) My Dad painted it of his sailboat when he was in high school. In the bottom corner in small writing it says "Alone with God."
painting.jpg
painting.jpg (28.41 KiB) Viewed 13139 times
This is a broken compass I found on a canoeing trip just before the summer challenge. The whole trip reminded me of the voyage of the dawn treader in several ways. Traveling by water to different camp sites and Islands, exploring and what not... arriving on land and feeling like finding a comfortable rock to sleep on instead of helping to set up camp. We even tried sailing a little by holding up one of our tarps :)
eastward.jpg
eastward.jpg (53.97 KiB) Viewed 13139 times
hansgeorg
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by hansgeorg » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:47 pm

Ajnos wrote:I am eternally grateful that Douglas Gresham for fighting hard to get the "there I have another name" line in the movie, which they were apparently planning to leave out.
They planned to leave THAT out?

@Swan, the pictures are beautiful, thank you so much for sharing!
Ajnos
Site Admin

Post by Ajnos » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:33 pm

Thanks and congratulations to everyone that took part in the challenge. It was good fun even if our numbers were down. If there are enough people who didn't take part 'cause the week didn't suit them but wish they had, please feel free to set up your second round. We'll leave the threads open for some time.

Today I decided to watch the Fox/Walden VDT movie for comparison since the book was still fresh in my mind. I must say I haven't enjoyed the movie this much since I first saw it in the cinema (this was only my fourth time watching). Two things that especially struck me were 1) That is was really beautifully made: the Dawn Treader herself and the settings (the sea and islands) were well chosen and executed. It felt and looked like we were seeing the world in which the book is set. 2) Although they basically rewrote the storyline, there was a lot more faithfulness to the book than I tend to give it credit for. There were a good many little scenes and quotes that showed that the script writers were working with the book in front of them, even though they weren't following it directly. A lot of quotes popped up in the wrong place, but they were still there. I think it's easier to appreciate the movie if you think of it as a loose retelling or a story inspired by Lewis' book than as an actual adaptation of the book (I might add some more specific comments in the appropriate discussion threads where the discussion can continue in a more general sense).
Thank you for the set Happy!!

Born a Daughter of Eve; Now a Daughter of the Second Adam
hansgeorg
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by hansgeorg » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:30 pm

I never got an answer on the question in an edit earlier.

"EDIT :" both Drinian and Pug placed Eustace on a ship where he didn't really care to be, what was the moral difference?

In a previous existence on older site, I asked "who put Eustace on the Dawn Treader?"

I got answers:

1) Drinian, since he was drowning
2) he himself, since he had been foolish about the painting.

But whose decision was it that his folly with the painting should have such a consequence?

Aslan's - that is, acc. to his name in our world, Jesus Christ's, God's.

If Drinian had found him in his room and thought "he needs a lesson, I'll take him on a journey with men who don't like his style, Rynelf and a few more should be able to tell him what he's worth" - then Drinian would have been acting like Pug.

Reason I mentioned this, I think part of the blocking's I get against my projects, which result in my staying on street (unless I were to look for an employer, which I think would be ridiculous when I have over 3000 articles on my blogs and continue writing), might be from people thinking of themselves as such a "Drinian" (and not being the one of the book) and of their associates as "necessary lessons' Rynelf types". Not accusing anyone in particular, just venting frustration.

Return to “SUMMER CHALLENGE 2015”