Summer Challenge Sharing Thread

Join us as we read through a book of the Chronicles of Narnia together and share our thoughts chapter by chapter. Get your copy of the Voyage of the Dawn Treader ready! Or the library's, that's fine too.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Ajnos, White Rose, Swanwhite, kristi

hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Re: Summer Challenge Sharing Thread

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:33 am

That's so cool, Ajjie!

My drawing today is of Bern and the doorkeeper.
"'Uncover before Narnia, you dog,' thundered the Lord Bern, and dealt him a rap with his gauntleted hand which sent his hat flying from his head."
My imagination always sent the doorkeeper flying along with his hat after Bern's blow, so that's how I drew it. :P

I forgot to stop after chapter 4 today. I was halfway through chapter 5 before I realized I'd gone on.
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
Swanwhite
Site Admin

Post by Swanwhite » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:55 am

That is glorious, Ajnos :) Definitely Felimath.

*snerks* Love the drawing, Hobbit. That is such a funny moment.

Chapter 3. The Lone Islands

There's Land in sight!
to the right of our bow
( or to "starboard"
as I should be calling it now)

Land on the edge of infinity
The Lone Islands rise from a very dark sea
With the nearest the loneliest one of the three

On the Felimath grass
Shall we pass a good hour?
For the smell of the earth and a wilderness flower?

At first it may pitch
Up and down like the ship
But it'll settle down quick
And predict only peace for our stroll
Lucy Took
Site Admin

Post by Lucy Took » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:46 am

I have to say that you make a good point about the drinking and smoking thing not being uncommon in many of the more "traditional" churches, especially in a time where smoking wasn't known to be as harmful. I also think that it has a lot to do with culture as well, in America drinking is seen in a different light than it is in Europe making it being even more distinctive to be a teetotaler than it would be in America. (In Europe drinking tends to be a social thing where teens are taught moderation at a young age. In America it's totally forbidden legally until 21.) But I digress :P

Personally I don't see the description of the Scrubbs as them being particularly religious, only as incredibly interested in scientific fads. Some of which are still accepted as fact (Smoking will kill y'all :P )

Now onto my project. I wasn't sure how I was going to do this challenge seeing as this week is really busy for me with design work and getting ready to do design work. So I give you.....Seamless patterns based on the day's reading :P

(Note on seamless patterns. What I'm posting is the "block". If you were to want to use these in Photoshop you just have to select the block and then click "set pattern")

The first one I have is inspired by the Dawn Treader itself. The colors are meant to evoke the richness of the sail and hold and to also have a bit of the gilt. It does come with the caveat that I put it together quickly and it's one pixel off from being seamless. I'll be sure to fix that if I end up using it.
Dawn Treader

The second one is inspired by Narrowhaven. At first I was thinking of a narrow port surrounded by water, so I made the lines that narrow in the middle. The resulting pattern is a lovely argyle that is (intentionally) just a little off kilter as a reference to the city of Narrowhaven being off of it's intended course itself. I think I actually will use this pattern at some time because it really is a fun argyle and I love the colors.

Narrowhaven

Links approved by me
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
hansgeorg
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by hansgeorg » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:25 am

Lucy Took wrote:I have to say that you make a good point about the drinking and smoking thing not being uncommon in many of the more "traditional" churches, especially in a time where smoking wasn't known to be as harmful.
Smoking in moderation (like under five pipes a day and only keeping smoke in mouth) is still not known to be very harmful.

(Note on keeping smoke in mouth : with cigarettes you get little taste if doing so, pipes have a broader burning of tobacco and hence a stronger taste)
Lucy Took wrote:I also think that it has a lot to do with culture as well, in America drinking is seen in a different light than it is in Europe making it being even more distinctive to be a teetotaler than it would be in America. (In Europe drinking tends to be a social thing where teens are taught moderation at a young age. In America it's totally forbidden legally until 21.) But I digress :P
Both Europe and US that depends on which state.

Your description of "Europe" fits Austria, but Sweden would be your "America".

And I guess there are states over there where geographical "America" = cultural "Europe".

That said, US has had prohibition (and Sweden had a related but less rigourous system, in restaurants you were allowed to drink in proportion to what you ate, in wine and spirits shops - all owned by government back then - for each purchase of alcohol it was noted in a booklet you were granted, and which was withdrawn from diagnosed alcoholics, without booklet you couldn't buy), but Catholic states in Europe never had such a thing.
Lucy Took wrote:Personally I don't see the description of the Scrubbs as them being particularly religious, only as incredibly interested in scientific fads. Some of which are still accepted as fact (Smoking will kill y'all :P )
I said Puritan, not religious.

Remember, in my book (and some others among what you call "traditional Churches") piety is sth else than principles Puritanism.

The general observation being that irreligion reflects the religion it came from. Just as an Atheist who was raised as a Hindoo and was called Siddharta Gautama (though his atheism, like Epicurus' didn't stop him from believing in polytheistic "gods") came up with an Atheism that is different from Western one that came from mainly Protestantism, there are differences in Atheism coming from Puritan Protestantism and in Atheism coming from High Church Anglicanism also differ. EDIT : Though to a lesser degree.

EDIT : both Drinian and Pug placed Eustace on a ship where he didn't really care to be, what was the moral difference?
Ajnos
Site Admin

Post by Ajnos » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:31 pm

As I promised, here comes part 2 of Day 2:

The Calormenes
It occurred to me while reading, the VDT is actually the first time Lewis tells us anything in detail about the Calormenes. Since I've usually read the books in chronological order in the past, I usually thought of HHB as introducing them. I decided I'd highlight some of the things we learn about them:

Their currency is called the Crescent (and was worth about a third of a pound - however it is that you can work out cross-world exchange rates ;) ). This is possibly the first hint we get that culturally they might be inspired by some sort of Middle Eastern (I like to think Arabian) culture. This currency has international status as it is "the chief coin in those parts". It might raise questions why the Lone Islanders weren't using Narnian money but this probably had something to do with them being cut off from direct trade with Narnia under Miraz when sea travel was not encouraged.

Next we learn, when Caspian is asking the governor about what they do with the slaves, that Calormen is the chief market for slavers operating in the Lone Isles. Slavery must be a common practice there.

Related, we then learn that Lucy and Edmund had been sold to (apparently two different) Calormene slave traders. It's a little unnerving to think what might have happened had these men not stayed on for further bidding. The voyage of the Dawn Treader might have ended up being a rescue mission in Calormen rather than a trip to the Utter East. It's also interesting to think what Lucy and Ed were thinking as they remembered back to their encounters with Calormen during their golden age, and especially the incident with Susan and Rabadash (though of course Lucy didn't travel there on that occasion).

We also interestingly get a first description of the Calormen people themselves. They have "dark faces and long beards". They wear "flowing robes and orange-coloured turbans" and "they are a wise, wealthy, courteous and cruel and people". (More hints here of their inspiration from Arabian type culture). We also get a brief hint into their speaking style (which Lewis expresses beautifully in HHB) in the description: "They bowed most politely to Caspian and paid him long compliments, all about the fountains of prosperity irrigating the gardens of prudence and virtue." (I'd love to see someone attempt to write out that speech in the appropriate style).

Finally, the chapter ends with an interesting comment by Lord Bern regarding Calormen. He foresees that the closing of the slave market leading to war with Calormen." It's notable that Caspian brushes off this threat so lightly and that Edmund and Lucy say nothing, considering their experiences with the Southern country.
----------------------------------

I also thought I'd comment on the way Lewis characterises Governor Gumpas as an ineffective and selfish, greedy, bureaucratically-minded leader. Combined with what we've already observed about the Scrubbs, I'd almost say VDT is quite social and political commentary of an almost satirical kind.

"No interviews without 'pointments 'cept 'tween nine 'n ten p.m. second Saturday every month" [I'd never noticed before how late that is]

"Nothing about it in the correspondence...Happy to consider any applications--"

"That would be a question to raise at the Council next month. If anyone moves that a commission of inquiry be set up..."

"I have statistics, I have graphs, I have--" [Nothing has changed in politics in 60 years :P ]

And then my all-time favourite:
"Have you no idea of progress, of development?" followed by Caspian's response "I've seen both in an egg. We call it Going Bad in Narnia."
Thank you for the set Happy!!

Born a Daughter of Eve; Now a Daughter of the Second Adam
hansgeorg
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by hansgeorg » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:28 pm

Have you heard of Achaeans and Hittites?

Telmarines and Calormenes could be considered as CSL's little take on these peoples present in Mycenae and East of Troy during the Trojan War. With the Hittites of course no longer mentioned in Homer.

Bowra (not a very decent person, but a fairly good historian in the Oxford of that day) made a commentary on historic accuracy of Homer about Trojan War.
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:36 pm

Lucy and Edmund had already been in the HHB battle against Rabadash's Calormenes when this happened...I never even thought of that! :P
I'm also now remembering Bree's comment about better to be dead than be a human slave in his master's household. I wonder how many other Calormenes that could be applied to.
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
Swanwhite
Site Admin

Post by Swanwhite » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:52 pm

Chapter 4. What Caspian Did There

I love the contrast between Caspian and Gumpas here. Like you said, Ajnos, Gumpas is all bureaucracy and greed while Caspian is clarity and justice. Everything under Gumpas is shuffling and disheveled, and hidden in layers and then in marches the bold boy king to challenge it all. Of course there is a little dishonesty in Caspian's approach because his show of power is a pretense, but his authority is authentic. It's probably true that Caspian did not know as much about economics as Gumpas did, but seeing simply through the situation he grasped the plain truth that Gumpas had missed in his mountain of graphs and charts. Whatever the cost is, right is right and wrong is wrong.
Caspian sure does love playing this role of confident king :) Later on in the book that gets him in trouble of course, but here it's very useful.
Ajnos
Site Admin

Post by Ajnos » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:36 pm

I hadn't thought about the contrast with Caspian, Swan. Perhaps that's the difference between a King and a politician? ;)

Interesting thought about the Achaean and Hittites, Hans (I'm a Classical Greek major so I'm quite familiar with them). I guess I hadn't thought of associating Lewis' peoples with cultural groups so far back in time. I'm not sure we know enough (or perhaps I don't know enough) about Hittite culture to compare them to the Calormenes and the Trojans are too Greekified in Homer for us to know what they were really like. On the Narnian side, there's no major battle that we know of between the Telmarines and Calormens (unless I'm forgetting something). It might be worth looking at similarities between the Persians and Calormenes?

Nice patterns Tooky. Are those for using as repeated tiled backgrounds? (non-graphically knowledgeable Ajjie doesn't know the term "seamless pattern")

As usual, great drawing, Hobbit, and lovely poem, Swan.

And now for my Day 3 contribution:

Chapters 5-6
The Calm after the Storm (and internal storms on board)

Lewis uses an interesting technique in VDT by telling bits of the story from Eustace’s point-of-view in the words of his diary. I was trying to imagine how the account of the calm after the storm might have come across if it were told in ordinary narrative, so here’s my attempt (obviously Lewis would have done a much better job):

After twelve days of frightful weather, the storm finally passed and day broke clear and calm. All on board the ship, with the exception of Eustace, had worked tirelessly to keep the ship afloat. All Eustace had done was huff about the lack of a wireless or rockets on board to call for help. Edmund had tried in vain to explain to the Narnians what Eustace was going on about and to Eustace why things didn’t work like that in Narnia.

The ship had suffered terribly from the storm but the worst of it was that the main mast had broken off and the sail was all-but useless. Also their supplies of food and water had become desperately low.

After counting out what was left (the poultry had been lost; bringing an end to their planned supply of fresh eggs), they calculated that they had enough food for sixteen days, but with strict water rations since two casks of water had been damaged and the water lost. Eustace groaned like anything on this news and mumbled about “Narnian inefficiency”.

With such dire supplies, the crew gathered together and discussed what should be done next. A number (and especially Eustace) were for returning to the Lone Islands since they had no guarantee they would find land within the next sixteen days (if ever). But then Drinian pointed out that it had already been eighteen days since they left, and they wouldn’t have anything like as strong a wind as had driven them to this point (even if the mast weren’t broken). Someone asked whether they could get back quicker by rowing, but this was impossible on such short water rations. At this point Eustace (who was so keen to get back to the Lone Islands that he was even in favour of rowing – though he would have tried to opt out as soon as they had insisted he join in) attempted to argue that perspiration from the rowing would cool them down. Caspian ignored him, realising he had obviously no experience in hard physical labour.

From the time the storm had ceased, there was no wind at all, and the ship sat becalmed for the next few days. Since there wasn’t much to be done, everyone took it easy, trying not to over-exert themselves. But it was very hot and the scarce rations were doing little to assuage their thirst. After three days like this, things came to a head one night when Reepicheep caught Eustace trying to steal water. Reep had taken it upon himself to play sentry to the water supply since he couldn’t help much on deck. Eustace flatly denied he was attempting to steal any water, claiming he was heading to the deck for fresh air, but when Reep asked why he had a cup, he quickly changed his tune and moaned about having such a fever that any doctor would have prescribed as much fluid as possible. He also ranted about their lack of first-aid supplies and something called a thermometer that the Narnians had never heard of. He couldn’t believe that the rations limit should be extended to a sick man on board and had they no human decency to let a hostage suffer so? He said more things to this effect till people wondered if he really were ill judging by the way he was raving. Lucy calmed him down and took him to bed offering him part of her ration for the day.

The next day, the wind broke. It was gentle but they were able to create a temporary mast, lash it with the sail onto the mast stump and made a little progress. On the third day since the wind returned, great excitement arose as the man on lookout duty spotted what appeared to be land far in the distance (if it weren’t billowing cloud on the horizon). After some time, it was clear that it was land; in fact, an island with a rather high mountain. The next day, as they made haste in the direction of this land they encountered sea-gulls for the first time. The following day, they spotted fish and even caught some for dinner, they all hoped they’d make landfall by dark but the mountainous isle was further off than they thought. They weighed anchor in shallow water awaited sunrise with anticipation.
Thank you for the set Happy!!

Born a Daughter of Eve; Now a Daughter of the Second Adam
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:08 am

Return to “SUMMER CHALLENGE 2015”