Nov 7, '15 Writers' Log

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, White Rose, Lil

Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Nov 7, '15 Writers' Log

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:41 am

(The "Squirrel" is albero1.)

Writer's Group opens ~

Ariel.of.Narnia: Have you got anything to share, Ed?
Sir-Edward: Still working on stuff :\
Ariel.of.Narnia: Same
Squirrel 686764 0: And I'm crying over Les Mis so I won't be any use.
Ariel.of.Narnia: So, Ed. do you want to keep working on what you're working on or do a prompt or what?
Sir-Edward: No idea
Squirrel 6867640: *cough*prompt*cough*
Ariel.of.Narnia: :P
Sir-Edward: I agree
Ariel.of.Narnia: You wanna do a prompt, Berry?
Squirrel 6867640: Yes!
Ariel.of.Narnia: Ed, do you want to come up with one or go with one of mine?
Sir-Edward: How are we going to do it? Book titles like last time or something different?
Ariel.of.Narnia: I'll let you and Berry hash that out, 'cause I wanna finish a draft of this tonight.
Ariel.of.Narnia: Unless you again come up with something I can't refuse
Squirrel 6867640: *quietly sobs in the corner* If only he could heal her wounds with words of love.
Squirrel 6867640: Okay I'm done fangirling, continue
Ariel.of.Narnia: If you have prompt ideas, Berry, fire ahead!
Squirrel 6867640: Okay, give me a second, I could have some really good ones
Squirrel 6867640: Is a dialogue prompt alright?
Ariel.of.Narnia: Ed?
Sir-Edward: Working on it
Squirrel 6867640: I'm confused
Ariel.of.Narnia: So am I
Sir-Edward: List of prompt titles: "flight over raven bluff", "the creature of hemlock canyon", "the last king of Braidanair", "plea of the wingless fae", "the jewel of caraaktor", "the crown of a hundred spires", "the boat to sanbrook isle".
Squirrel 6867640: *contemplatively interpretive dances*
Squirrel 6867640: They all sound interesting
Squirrel 6867640: I also had an idea, btw
Sir-Edward: Please speak it then!
Sir-Edward: Er..yes?
Squirrel 6867640: Okay, it's a dialogue prompt I saw somewhere: "You're still here...and you're making (insert food here.)"
Squirrel 6867640: I feel like it could have a great potential for hilarity
Ariel.of.Narnia: *snickers as she imagines any number of characters in that situations*
Sir-Edward: I wonder if you could combine my prompts with your prompt
Ariel.of.Narnia: It's likely
Squirrel 6867640: But of course
Sir-Edward: Any of my prompts jump out at you?
Ariel.of.Narnia: *could see that dialogue in relation to a couple of the titles with great potential. *
Sir-Edward: How about "flight from moorland dale", "draugeer's axe", "the rune on the door post", "the sign of the last pixie"??
Ariel.of.Narnia: Hi, cor! Ed and Berry are going over a couple prompt ideas, if you want to join in
Sir-Edward: I think Cor just fell asleep
Ariel.of.Narnia: Berry, you still with us?
Squirrel 6867640: Halfway
Squirrel 6867640: I'm also fangirling over Les Mis
Ariel.of.Narnia: Have you chosen a prompt title?
Sir-Edward: Me?
Squirrel 6867640: The rune on the doorpost
Ariel.of.Narnia: Either of you.
Ariel.of.Narnia: Oh boy, that sounds like an interesting combo
Sir-Edward: Sure, I'll go for the rune one
Ariel.of.Narnia: Excellent!
Ariel.of.Narnia: Shall we try for 20 minutes?
Lil: (Les Mis is awesome by the way)
Sir-Edward: "There is no rune on that door post, I had it painted a week ago!"
Squirrel 6867640: *hugs Lil* You are my new favorite person.
Ariel.of.Narnia: @Ed: I approve!
Sir-Edward: Are we going to add the second prompt to it?
Ariel.of.Narnia: Yes, you are.
Squirrel 6867640: What?
Ariel.of.Narnia: You're combining "The Rune on the Doorpost" with "You're still here...and you're making (insert food here.)"
Ariel.of.Narnia: In the same story
Squirrel 6867640: Oh okay
Ariel.of.Narnia: Are you both ready?
Sir-Edward: Yup
Ariel.of.Narnia: Okay... ready...
Ariel.of.Narnia: And...
Ariel.of.Narnia: Go!
Squirrel 6867640: Yes
Ariel.of.Narnia: How are the two of you doing?
Squirrel 6867640: Pretty well
Ariel.of.Narnia: Need more time?
Squirrel 6867640: Yes
Ariel.of.Narnia: Okay.
Ariel.of.Narnia: How you doing, Ed?
Sir-Edward: Almost there
Sir-Edward: I'm on a roll tonight!
Ariel.of.Narnia: Good!
Sir-Edward: *Types vigorously*
Squirrel 6867640: *is apparently unable to do an Irish accent*
Squirrel 6867640: I'm trying to write a character with one
Squirrel 6867640: It isn't working
Ariel.of.Narnia: Haha, oh dear
Ariel.of.Narnia: Almost done with mine
Ariel.of.Narnia: How are you guys doing?
Squirrel 6867640: Almost done
Squirrel 6867640: I just came up with a hilarious twist ending'
Ariel.of.Narnia: Ooh!
Sir-Edward: I'm done
Ariel.of.Narnia: Sweet!
Sir-Edward: It's not that long but I like the idea.
Ariel.of.Narnia: Well, I'm intrigued. We'll just wait for Berry to finish
Sir-Edward: Right
Squirrel 6867640: Give me three minutes
Ariel.of.Narnia: Sure thing!
Squirrel 6867640: Fire away!
Ariel.of.Narnia: Okay, so who wants to go first?
Sir-Edward: Pick me! Pick me!
Ariel.of.Narnia: Okay, go for it, Ed!

Sir-Edward shares ~

Sir-Edward: "You’re still here...and your making zwixindie?" the tall but rather wide bluish-green faeblin- Zac, I called him, though his name was really Zacolindoranin- turned around from the huge black cauldron he was mixing zwixindie in, and smiled toothily - and by toothily I mean incisors the size of steak knives kind of toothily, you might think this made him look scary, but it kind of fitted his personality. If you knew him, you'd know what I mean- the sound of Zac's wings-Did I mention he had wings?- cut through my thoughts as he flew over to the "Sneeze cupboard" as he called it, where we store all of are various seasonings. "Where's the xanka? he asked in his funny, nasal sort of voice, "top shelf" I answered, "but don't use to much, Xanka trees don't grow well back here in this world, so the harvest is kinda paltry." "You's is right" he said, his crazy, tufted blue ears waving about his head like flies circling a light bulb. I liked Zac there's really no other way to put it, we were the best of friends. I met him first on a adventure a had in another world-sounds crazy right? It was hard to believe myself, but after the fae, and the trolls and squeeblins, and Zac and...and the rune. the rune. that's how I got there in the first place mind you, a rune on my door post. Not just an ordinary rune - not to say that runes are normal - but this one was like no other I'd seen before, and glowing. Glowing a faint blue color - "Got any fzax?" Zac's words cut into my thoughts once again and I shook my head, "nope but there's some fresh ones on the porch if you want me to get 'um." he nodded and his ears flapped comically back and forth in long arcs over his head. I nodded back and walked through the long, rustic-looking halls of Eagleheather Manor. It was a huge - and perhaps a little bit magical - house that was situated on the top of a big hill overlooking the countryside. I lived in the manor, even if it was not strictly mine, it was a beautiful home to live in and experiment with various magic items I gathered from my last journey into that other world. I finally made it to the end of the winding hallways and passages and opened the door that led out of the house and onto the porch. Glancing around I saw the freshly cut fzax stalks and gathered them up in my hands. Then turning around, I was about to walk back inside when I stopped and gasped. The fzax fell from my hands - which were now shaking-and I didn't know whether to scream or laugh. A second chance was right in front of me. A second chance in the form of a faintly glowing blue rune on the doorpost of my house.
Ariel.of.Narnia: "Incisors the size of steak knives", ha! It felt kind of disjointed, but I did like the descriptions of Zac and, for some reason, the ending.
Squirrel 6867640:I concur
Sir-Edward: It's supposed to feel kinda disjointed, like a part of a story already told
Squirrel 6867640: Okay
Sir-Edward: lol
Sir-Edward: Anywho
Sir-Edward: Next up!
Squirrel 6867640: May I?
Ariel.of.Narnia: It has been used to good effect.
Sir-Edward: Indeed!
Ariel.of.Narnia: Sure, Berry!

Squirrel 6867640 (Albero/Berry) shares ~

Squirrel 6867640: “You’re still here…and you’re making…what is that?”
Phoebe looked up and grinned. “Oh, I was hungry and I thought I’d make some dinner. You didn’t have much, but I used what I could and made a pretty good roast lamb, if I do say so myself.” She could barely understand her own words, she was talking so fast, and she wondered if Marta could understand her at all with the added difficulty of an Irish accent on her own part.
After looking puzzled for a few seconds, Marta replied, “Yes…but why are you still here?”
“Well, this /is/ the only safe house for Syrennes in a long time. I thought…um, maybe you’d give me some supplies and things if I was nice and made food for you and cleaned your house and washed your horse—”
“You cleaned?”
“Well, yes.”
“And washed my horse?”
“Yes’m.”
“And cooked this delightful-looking meal?”
Phoebe felt herself blush. “Yes.”
“Heavens, love, why didn’t you just ask? Not to say I don’t appreciate the work, duck, but it was unnecessary.” She spoke like an old woman, but she wasn’t even old enough to be Phoebe’s mum. Strands of her ash-brown hair were turning grey, but it seemed quite premature.
Marta picked up a worn leather bag and filled it with food and clothes and torches and tinder and matches and a blanket. She picked up a thick cloak and fastened it around Phoebe’s neck with an iron brooch. She hugged the girl, kissed her on both cheeks, and sent her off with promises of help should she ever need it again.
As she walked out, Phoebe dropped a note in the doorway. Once she was out of sight of the cottage, she ran as fast as she could for the village.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Marta smiled to herself as she bustled inside, glad to have helped a poor soul. She stopped to pick up a piece of paper, folded in half, lying in the doorway. She unfolded the paper and read:
Marta,
So sorry for this. I am not a Syrenne. I didn’t clean your house. I didn’t wash your horse. I’m bringing these supplies to my village to sell. I will soon be a rich girl indeed!
Marta almost dropped the paper. “Not so much a duckling, that girl,” she muttered, shuffling inside, now with almost nothing. Out of the goodness of her heart, she gave, and a wretched girl used it all for herself
Squirrel 6867640: The end
Squirrel 6867640: I know I didn't directly say it, but the rune on the doorpost was how she knew it was a safe house
Ariel.of.Narnia: Was the rune mentioned? I must have missed that
Squirrel 6867640: No
Squirrel 6867640:like I said, I sort of forgot to even imply it
Ariel.of.Narnia: I did like that twist (bad girl!), though the note seemed odd.
Ariel.of.Narnia: Haha
Squirrel 6867640: Okay *nods*
Ariel.of.Narnia: One thought, take or leave, would be if Marta sees for herself that the house and horse haven't been cleaned up.
Squirrel 6867640: Hrmm...I sort of wanted to add the part that she did it to sell the things
Squirrel 6867640: Any thoughts, Ed?
Ariel.of.Narnia: But that aside, I liked that you gave both of them (but especially Marta) character in a short amount of time
Ariel.of.Narnia: Ah, point
Squirrel 6867640: Did you think I did okay hinting that Phoebe was a little nervous?
Ariel.of.Narnia: I got that vibe, yes.
Squirrel 6867640: Good
Squirrel 6867640: *needs to go in a moment*
Ariel.of.Narnia: I didn't get a feeling of why she felt nervous, but I did get that she was unusually high-strung
Squirrel 6867640: Honestly, I based her off of myself.
Ariel.of.Narnia: Hahaha!
Squirrel 6867640: I have social anxiety and am always high-strung. :P
Ariel.of.Narnia: I can relate to some extent.
Ariel.of.Narnia: Ed? You still with us?
Sir-Edward: Yup
Ariel.of.Narnia: Any thoughts for Berry?
Sir-Edward: Honestly it was all a little past my ability to judge, I'm not much of a writer, so when a story as well-worded as that rolls along I don't always have a lot of things to say for the simple reason that kind goes over my head.
Squirrel 6867640: Aw, thanks
Squirrel 6867640: Alright....I need to get to bed
Squirrel 6867640: This was fun!
Squirrel 6867640: Bye!
Ariel.of.Narnia: Okay. Night, Berry!
Sir-Edward: Goodnight!
Ariel.of.Narnia: Thanks for coming
Ariel.of.Narnia: Probably pretty late for you too, right, Ed?
Sir-Edward: It's almost midnight here, so I should probably get some sleep soon too, unless you have something to share, Ariel?
Ariel.of.Narnia: Meh, it can wait till next week.
Sir-Edward: Okay
Ariel.of.Narnia: Good night, Ed!

Writer's Group closed ~
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"

Return to “Writer's Official Logs”