Site Admin

writers' log Nov 21, '15

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:48 am

Writer's Group opens ~

Ariel.of.Narnia: *strolls in*
Sir-Edward: *pokes head in*
Sir-Edward: 'ello?
Ariel.of.Narnia: Hi!
Ariel.of.Narnia: How are you this fine night?
Sir-Edward: Just spiffin'
Ariel.of.Narnia: Good.
Ariel.of.Narnia: Not sure if anyone else is coming. Last week was a no-show
Ariel.of.Narnia: Are you doing NaNo?
Sir-Edward: Nawha-?
Ariel.of.Narnia: National November Writing Month, I believe in the full name
Sir-Edward: Oh!
Sir-Edward: That!
Sir-Edward: The..writing...thing
Ariel.of.Narnia: Write 50,000 words or a whole book in a month, that fun stuff.
Sir-Edward: Nerp
Sir-Edward: I wish I could write that well
Ariel.of.Narnia: Haha
Ariel.of.Narnia: Wish I had time to attempt. :P
Sir-Edward: lol
Ariel.of.Narnia: Have anything to share tonight?
Sir-Edward: Sorry
Ariel.of.Narnia: Well, I do!
Ariel.of.Narnia: Finally...
Sir-Edward: *grabs popcorn*
Ariel.of.Narnia: It's a short, pre-Avengers one-shot titled "Widow's Bite". (And based very, very loosely on real events, dun dun duuuun)

Ariel.of.Narnia shares ~

Ariel.of.Narnia: It was one o’clock in the morning and Natasha was tired. “Exhausted” would have been too strong a word. So would “hungry” – “peckish” was more like it. Whatever degree of either feeling, a week of taking down a faction of the Maggia with only Clint for backup had got her looking forward to fulfilling both needs at home and on her own time. No more sketchy rendezvouses to make, no more pre-dawn recons to wake up for, and no more Maggia sting operation to deal with. At least, until she received another such assignment.
She noted that her neighbour’s girlfriend had parked in her spot again. Whatever. She pulled into another stall, ignoring the subconscious warnings about the chewing-out she’d be sure to receive from the night-shift security guard. She’d deal with it when it happened.
As she trundled her duffle bag out ahead of her, Natasha debated between eating a granola bar or a fruit. By the time she unlocked the door to the condo building, she had decided that she’d rather have that apple in her fridge before it went bad. She entered the elevator, jabbed at the button for the third floor, and readied the key to her condo.
A strange scent met her the moment she walked in. Oh no, she was not in the mood for this. Snack and bed were on her mind and she was not going to let anything interfere, so she dumped her duffel bag by the door and flicked on the kitchen light. Natasha yanked open the refrigerator door and withdrew the last apple. The scent – some nasty brand of body spray – grew stronger and was accompanied by soft footfalls. Surprise was key here. On her side of things, anyway, whatever the intruder’s intentions. She set the apple on the counter, then opened a lower cupboard and felt around for the cutting board, listening for the tell-tale breath.
It came a moment later and she swung the cutting board up and behind to meet her assailant’s strike. He exclaimed in surprise and a paperweight – the one from her nightstand – crashed to the floor. Natasha set down the cutting board and spun around, noting his all-black getup and ski mask. His eyes grew wide for a moment, then he turned to run for the door.
Natasha would have let him go, but then she espied his backpack, which she snagged and used to swing him about so he was back in the kitchen and she was again in front of the fridge. She wanted cheese anyway. He slipped from her grasp and wound up for a punch. She opened the fridge door into his fist while she produced a block of marble cheddar. He back-stepped and poised for a kick. Natasha whipped out a drawer to block him. His shin connected, rattling the contents of the drawer and eliciting a curse from him. She plucked out the paring knife before closing the drawer again. From the corner of her eye, she could see that the intruder’s eyes betrayed his fear, even – or perhaps especially – when Natasha halved the apple in a swift stroke.
His movements became desperate and wild, but she absently occupied him with a few kicks of her own while she cut the apple into eight sections. He tried to kick high, but she spun away and then used her own leg to pin his to the counter. She cut three slices of cheese before he broke free. Fine. She set down the knife and faced him. He advanced with a punch. In one fluid motion, she deflected it, kneed him in the stomach, and rammed his head against the counter. He dropped and she cut one more slice of cheese in peace.
Natasha dumped the backpack’s contents on the table and rifled through them while she munched. Tablet, multiple spare wallets, jewellery – all the obvious, unimportant stuff. Forgetting that her mouth was full, she pulled her phone from her pocket and dialled.
“Hello?” said the very sleepy voice on the other end.
“Quartermain. I’m calling in that favour.”
“Romanoff? I thought you were –”
“You’ll find a burglar passed out in my kitchen. Take him to the police station for me?”
“What the – right now? What time is it?”
“Door’s unlocked, spare key’s under the microwave, lock the door on your way out. Thanks. Oh, and you might want to bring a gas mask. Dude bathes in Axe body spray.”
Natasha hung up and turned off the phone. She didn’t bother to clean up or even switch off the kitchen light. She’d had her snack and she was heading to bed.

Ariel.of.Narnia: The end
Sir-Edward: *applause!!!*
Sir-Edward: And LOL
Ariel.of.Narnia: *grins*
Ariel.of.Narnia: *takes a bow*
Sir-Edward: Very well written!
Ariel.of.Narnia: Did you think so? I though some of the action could use some polishing up in places...
Sir-Edward: If you say so
Ariel.of.Narnia: Heehee, well thank you.
Ariel.of.Narnia: So then. We up for a prompt?
Sir-Edward: Right!
Sir-Edward: Hmmmm..
Sir-Edward: What kind of a prompt?
Ariel.of.Narnia: Haha, I don't know. you've come up with some good ones
Sir-Edward: Ok, well let me think..
elanorelle: *wanders in*
Ariel.of.Narnia: Ela!
Ariel.of.Narnia: We're just about to do a prompt
Ariel.of.Narnia: How are you?
elanorelle: Hey!
elanorelle: Came right in time then. ^.^
Ariel.of.Narnia: Yes, indeed!
Ariel.of.Narnia: If you have a prompt idea, speak it. Ed's thinking up some at present
elanorelle: Um, I have nothing. Sorry.
Sir-Edward: Here's a few prompts: "The phantom house", "While sunlight lasts", “Flight over finnern dale" "The secret of the ashen grove", "Final shuttle to trans-hub", "30 days till blackout"…
Ariel.of.Narnia: Ooh, I like "White Sunlight Lasts". Even though I'm, for some reason, putting a sinister note to it in my mind (why am I doing that?)
elanorelle: So, those are titles I'm guessing
Sir-Edward: Yup
Ariel.of.Narnia: Yes, sorry. To write stories off of, like the train one
Sir-Edward: "Last train to shadow lake"
Ariel.of.Narnia: Do these interest you, Ela?
Sir-Edward: I think she just fell asleep
Ariel.of.Narnia: Hehe
elanorelle: Might we be given a prompt with more to go off of?
Ariel.of.Narnia: Sure
Sir-Edward: Fine with me
Ariel.of.Narnia: You looking for a plot line or a character or what?
Sir-Edward: Or an event of some kind?
elanorelle: Either. It's just, after this past week, my creativity has been turned off, so I need something to really get my writerly creativity going.
Ariel.of.Narnia: Totally understandable
Ariel.of.Narnia: (are we building off the sunlight one or starting afresh?)
Ariel.of.Narnia: 'cause if we're going with the sunlight title... what if loss of the sunlight means something to the character? Like hope or a loved one's life or something?
Ariel.of.Narnia: And I'm envisioning a journey, but doesn't have to be either.
elanorelle: *shrugs* I don't know. I'm looking up prompts right now, unless you'd like to do the sunlight prompt.
Ariel.of.Narnia: Sure, why not? More ideas the better.
Ariel.of.Narnia: What say you, Ed?
Ariel.of.Narnia: Did he disappear?
elanorelle: He's not on the sidebar.
Ariel.of.Narnia: Yeah...
Ariel.of.Narnia: That's odd
Ariel.of.Narnia: Have you come up with anything?
Ariel.of.Narnia: Ela?
elanorelle: Here are some first line prompts:
It was up to her to investigate how the accident had really happened
He opened the door to find her standing there, crying.
The horse came back alone
Spider threads caught at her face, a sign that no one had been there yet
Ariel.of.Narnia: Hmm
Ariel.of.Narnia: The horse one just makes me think of PC.
Ariel.of.Narnia: Trying to think what I might do with the other three...
elanorelle: I had the same thought about that prompt.
Ariel.of.Narnia: Brb real quick
elanorelle: Ok
Ariel.of.Narnia: LIGHTBULB!!
Ariel.of.Narnia: I'm going with the accident.
Ariel.of.Narnia: Dunno if I can pull it off, but at least I have an idea.
elanorelle: Do we do the same prompt...?
Ariel.of.Narnia: If you want. You can always pick another and we'll have different stories to share.
Ariel.of.Narnia: Well, they'd be different anyway...
Ariel.of.Narnia: But you get my meaning?
Ariel.of.Narnia: Have you chosen one?
Sir-Edward: Ah! Back! Sorry, computer froze.
Ariel.of.Narnia: Ed! Hi!
Ariel.of.Narnia: We were wondering what happened to you.
Ariel.of.Narnia: Ela came up with these first-line prompts, if you want to use them. You're of course, free to choose from your own too, if you're so inclined.
Ariel.of.Narnia: It was up to her to investigate how the accident had really happened
elanorelle: Hey, Ed!
Sir-Edward: Hello!
elanorelle: I'm going with the spider thread one.
Ariel.of.Narnia: I’m going with the accident investigation one, since I have an idea for it.
Ariel.of.Narnia: How about you, Ed?
Sir-Edward: I have no ideas about anything so I'll go for the horse one.
Ariel.of.Narnia: Okay, sounds good.
Sir-Edward: *bangs head against wall in hopes of jarring ideas out*
Ariel.of.Narnia: Does 7:30 Pacific sound like a good time frame?
Sir-Edward: When is that?
Ariel.of.Narnia: In 38 minutes
Sir-Edward: Ok
elanorelle: Sure.
Sir-Edward: Might take that long to think of an idea
Ariel.of.Narnia: Cool. Ready, set, go!
Squirrel 6034575: *huffs and puffs*
Ariel.of.Narnia: (hopefully something with pop up!)
Ariel.of.Narnia: 'allo!
Ariel.of.Narnia: We're just starting a prompt. Care to join?
Lil: Um, I don't know?
Lil: What's the prompt?
Ariel.of.Narnia: You've got four to choose from, all first-liners:
It was up to her to investigate how the accident had really happened
Lil: Which one does the horse one go with?
Ariel.of.Narnia: That's a stand-alone
Ariel.of.Narnia: (unless you feel like combining. )
Lil: Hmm
Lil: Just might
Ariel.of.Narnia: We're shooting for a 7:30 Pacific deadline
Sir-Edward: I have no story by the way, I just wrote words that sounded like there should be a story since I couldn't think of anything to write.
Squirrel 6867640: *pantpantpant* Am I too late for writers?
Ariel.of.Narnia: Haha, that's fine. Excerpts are good practice too
Lil: No?
Squirrel 6867640: Okay, good.
Squirrel 6867640: *is Berry*
Ariel.of.Narnia: No, you're not. We're on the tail-end of a prompt stretch
Ariel.of.Narnia: Hi, Berry.
Squirrel 6867640: I just got ALL of my Christmas shopping done...and yet forgot to buy lights and Command hooks for my room -.-
Lil: *sudddenly hates her writing for listening to emotionally tugging music while reading prompts*
Ariel.of.Narnia: Haha, but hey, you got all that other stuff done!
Ariel.of.Narnia: @Lil: well I'm interested now.
Ariel.of.Narnia: Three minutes more
Squirrel 6867640: *has something to share*
Squirrel 6867640: *once ya'll are done writing and sharing*
Ariel.of.Narnia: Good. How's everyone doing? I'm almost done with mine, but I can multitask
Sir-Edward: I'm "done"
Sir-Edward: Not that I really started though...
Ariel.of.Narnia: Done with what you've got, then.
Ariel.of.Narnia: Ela?
Lil: *is all sorts of embarrassed*
Ariel.of.Narnia: Haha, why?
Ariel.of.Narnia: Ela? You back?
elanorelle: I'm here. Internet went out.
Ariel.of.Narnia: Okay. How is your prompt story? We ready for sharing?
Sir-Edward: Sure!
Ariel.of.Narnia: Okay, who wants to go first?
Sir-Edward: I'll share my "Story" if you want to
Ariel.of.Narnia: Go for it, Ed! *sits back with some hot cocoa*

Sir-Edward shares ~

Sir-Edward: The horse came back alone that night. The reigns hanging loosely over it's neck, the heavy stirrups swinging lazily at it's sides. this would be the fifth horse this week to come back without it's rider and I worried the stables at pilgrim's crossing would soon be too full to accommodate more. Ever since the darkness crept into Everdean forest to the south the land has grown silent. Fewer pilgrims now visit here and some go missing in the forest as the rumors travel of a nameless fear in that now dark and silent place. Some say that it is all just rumors and gossip but I have seen the riderless horses of those who enter the wood alone. Others say it is a great beast that lives in the wood and devours travelers that dare to enter the dark walls of the forest within, but then why would it not then also devour the horses as well? These thoughts and more tumbled through my head like hundreds of tiny puzzle pieces waiting to be put together. I thought how fortunate I was to live in pilgrim's crossing. It no matter how dark the world around you, the huge refuge for travelers, knights, questers, and of course, pilgrims, always felt like the warm, inviting place it always has been, and-I hope-always will be.
Ariel.of.Narnia: Ohh...
Ariel.of.Narnia: Wonder what's in the forest...
Ariel.of.Narnia: Good set-up, though!
Squirrel 6867640: O.O
Squirrel 6867640: I don't want to visit that forest O.O
Sir-Edward: smiley-lol
Lil: I'm so intrigued and excited!
elanorelle: Haha, same Berry! Nice job, Ed.
Sir-Edward: Any tips on the writing style?
Lil: I want to know more!
Ariel.of.Narnia: Apart from a couple little odd-word issues, no.
Squirrel 6867640: Just minor grammar issues. Other than that, it's fantastic
Ariel.of.Narnia: I get the impression that this is a simple guy who's concerned about what's out there, but not concerned enough to be high-tailing it far away from the forest. And the contrast between the threat and the safety of home was great
Sir-Edward: Thanks! I wanted the pilgrims’ inn to have a feeling of safety.
Sir-Edward: But anywho,
Ariel.of.Narnia: I think it's a bit of a false sense of safety, but that's just me.
Squirrel 6867640: *non-nearly-as-eloquently concurs with Ariel*
Sir-Edward: lol
Ariel.of.Narnia: @Berry: *cough*Mallory*cough*
Ariel.of.Narnia: Lil, you want to go next?
Lil: Uh.....
Lil: *is embarrassed she didn't write anything original*
Ariel.of.Narnia: No worries!
Ariel.of.Narnia: Mine's a fic.
Lil: I can if nobody wants too
Ariel.of.Narnia: I'm not quite ready yet.
Sir-Edward: *is SO surprised*
Ariel.of.Narnia: Oh, shush, Ed.
Sir-Edward: Hehee
Squirrel 6867640: I'll go, I suppose :P
Ariel.of.Narnia: Okay, Berry
Squirrel 6867640: I heavily edited the thing I wrote last time and completely changed the story
Squirrel 6867640: It's the prologue
Ariel.of.Narnia: Haha, okay

Squirrel 6867640 (Berry) shares ~

Squirrel 6867640: Prologue
Suzanne Montagne stood in front of the door, unsure of what to do. Could she really knock on this door? But it had the rune on the doorpost. Beggars were welcome to come and get assistance. She looked down at her muddy, torn dress, and felt her matted auburn hair. She looked bad enough that whoever was inside that small maple-wood cottage wouldn’t hesitate to give to her in abundance. But could she really stoop to begging?
*~*~*
A woman opened the door. She couldn’t have been older than thirty, but her ash brown hair was streaked with premature grey, and she had cobwebby crinkles around her hazel eyes.
“Good heavens, kitten, come in, come in!” She gently took Suzanne’s hand, pulled her inside, gave her a stool to sit on, and wrapped a blanket around her shoulders. “What do you need, mon chéri?” She was the most matronly woman Suzanne had ever met, even more so than her own maman. She wasn’t yet old enough to be Suzanne’s mother, but she spoke like a grandmother.
She took a nervous, shaky breath. “Ma’am, I don’t want bother you, but you see—”
“No, none of that, kitten. Tell me your troubles. I want to help and won’t let you feel like a burden, dear. In fact—” She walked over to a tiny stove and poured some tea from a kettle into a mug, handing it to Suzanne. “This will warm you up, dearest.”
She took a deep breath and prepared to tell the woman her troubles, exactly the way she’d practiced on the way there. “Thankin’ you kindly, Ma’am—“
“Loire.” Her crow’s feet multiplied tenfold.
“Of course. Anyway, Ma’am—Loire. Anyway, Loire, we’ve been having a boatload of trouble in the slums and my maman and papa have been havin’ it worse than anybody. See, I got a little sister with typhus and we don’t want anybody else to get sick—I got a baby brother—but we don’t want to ship her off, neither. We can’t afford medicine without starving. My papa has been outta work for a year and my maman only makes five mites a week washin’ clothes for the rich people. It’s gettin’ to be a cold winter and I don’t want my brother or sister dying on account of we don’t have any blankets. We need medicine and food and warm blankets and clothes. Can—can you help us?”
Loire wiped a tear from the corner of her eye. “Oh dear, kitten, what awful luck your family has. I’d be honored to help any way I could.” She picked up a big leather pack and started filling it. She put in loaves of bread and dried meat, some tea to aid Suzanne’s typhoid sister, several packs o fmatches, two wool blankets from her own bed, and a lovely red dress of rayon challis and lace. Lastly, she pulled a small chest from under her bed and opened it. She pulled out ten silver stone and placed it in the bag.
Suzanne’s mouth dropped open. “Where did you get that much money?”
“I was saving it up for a poor soul like you,” the woman said, smiling broadly.
“Th—thank you kindly, Loire.” She finished the last sip of tea and got up. Loire embraced her, kissed her on both cheeks, told her she hoped her sister would get better, and made her promise to come back if she ever needed anything.
Suzanne knew she was never coming back, not after what she’d done. She wasn’t feeling guilty, but she didn’t want Loire to know about it. As soon as she crested the hill in front of the cottage, she turned and waved. Once she was at the bottom of the hill, she ran as fast as she could for the town.

Ariel.of.Narnia: Tsktsktsk. bad girl
Squirrel 6867640: I have the first part of chapter one, once everyone is done reading.
Ariel.of.Narnia: Okay. Elanor, you ready?
Ariel.of.Narnia: Or does Lil have the floor?
elanorelle: Good start methinks. One thing, very small, mon chéri should be ma chérie.
Squirrel 6867640: Okay smiley
Ariel.of.Narnia: Who's going next? *looks at Lil and Ela*
Squirrel 6867640: *has more to share*
Ariel.of.Narnia: Let's wait for a response from them first.
Squirrel 6867640: ok :P
Sir-Edward: I'd love to stick around, but It's almost midnight and I'd like to get some sleep. See ya in the morning!
elanorelle: I probably won't share this prompt because of, well, how little there is. I could share that one from weeks ago that no one besides you, Ariel, have read.
Ariel.of.Narnia: Oh, sure, that'd be good!
Sir-Edward: Night! *poofs*
Squirrel 6867640: Bye, Ed!
Ariel.of.Narnia: Night, Ed!
elanorelle: Goodnight, Ed!
Ariel.of.Narnia: Pity. ‘Twas his prompt too.
Lil: Aww I missed Ed
elanorelle: Shall I go?
Ariel.of.Narnia: Yes.
elanorelle: Okay.

elanorelle shares ~

elanorelle: “Blasted rain,” a man beside me said. He was drenched from head to toe and his hat was doing nothing for him - the rain seeped onto his face. Despite his outburst, I don't believe he wanted to be noticed: when I looked his way he shot his eyes to the ground. It's too bad, I was going to offer him my umbrella.
We stood around, waiting. I looked down at my watch – 9:33. Two more minutes and I'd be off to Shadow Lake. From the corner of my eye I caught him staring at me. I brought my head up and he looked away – too fast for mere curiosity. Something, fear, wanted me to get father away from him so I walked a few paces, managing to make some distance between us.
He stayed put and I felt at ease. This was my commute. Every morning I would take the first train to Bright Edge and in the evening I would take the last train home. I knew the few people who made the same trip and they knew me. I had never, till those moments, seen that man, and his unwarranted attention made me wary like I hadn't been in years. I did everything in my power to live a normal life. It was a promise I made myself and I planned to keep it as long as I could.
I heard the sharp whistle of a train as it approached. 9:40. Late. The train was never late.
“Last train to Shadow Lake will arrive shortly,” a young worker called out as he walked amongst the people. From around the platform a small crowd, including myself, gathered to meet the train and take the long journey home. The train pulled up with steam filling the sky, creating a veil that covered what was left of the stars. I climbed up the first step and looked behind. The man stood, head down. He wasn't taking this train.
I entered the cabin and took my usual seat. The rain dripped off my trench-coat, pooling around my boots. Someone touched my shoulder from behind. I looked up.
“James!” I smiled wide as he came around. I took his hand. “Haven't seen you in weeks. How are you?”
“Doing fine.”
“And your wife – Maureen?”
“As lovely as ever. ”
“Good, good.” I motioned him to take the seat next to me. He did.
“I took that job at Cotterill's. Couldn't have made myself a better decision. Been promoted to overseer and I bring in more money a day than I did a week working under Harper.”
I shook my head at the realization of how things work in life. That job could very well be mine if I'd been in the right place or met the right people. “Life's been too good to you, James. Mind giving a share of your luck to me?” I partially joked.
“Things not going so great for you, then?”
“Could be better.” I looked at my watch. 9:45 and the train was not moving. Odd.
“How's Edith?”
“Oh, she's doing as well as anyone would assume. Married now, you know.”
“Congratulations! Why did you never tell me?”
“Embarrassment. Anger. Disappointment. Lots of things.” His expression changed once the words left my mouth.
“I don't believe it.”
“I didn't either, but that's the way things go. Married her sweetheart who's name was listed amongst the dead. Turns out he never died and she loves him more than she ever loved me. She wanted to marry a hero and that's what she did.” James went silent and by the look on his face I saw he was unsure of any words that could console me. I looked out the window, somewhat foggy, and was jarred back to the matter at present. The man was gone. Sick of the rain and went somewhere else, surely.
“Things will get better.” He patted my arm. “Things always get better for good people.”
There was nothing I could give besides a weak smile. He was earnest but he didn't know the extent of how bad things were with me. No one knew. I wanted it to stay that way.
The train jerked forward, finally taking me away from this place. I leaned back, trying to get comfortable on the old seats and I saw my friend do the same. It would be a long while before the streetlamps of Shadow Lake welcomed us home, so I closed my eyes and let my fatigue take hold. I fell asleep.
“Excuse me, sir.” Someone shook my arm. I frowned at the thought of being taken out of a nice sleep until I realized I was on the train. It was stopped.
“Shadow Lake?” I mumbled as I stood up. I looked down at the seat beside mine and saw James was gone. He wouldn't leave me here if we arrived, at least I thought he wouldn't. For a second I was angry but remembered he had a wife to get to and forgave him. It was a good thing another gentleman alerted me or I'd have spent the entire night on the train. The courteous stranger, a worker no doubt going by his uniform, had turned his back to me and was taking some forgotten luggage from the compartment above. I tapped his shoulder. “Are we at the Shadow Lake station?” I asked.
He turned around. “Not quite.” I fell back onto my seat – it was the man from the station.
My heart raced and in a panic I choked out, “Where? Where is everyone?”
“Shadow Lake.” A cruel smile spread across his face. “Everyone got off at Shadow Lake.”

elanorelle: The End.
Lil: O.O
Squirrel 6867640: NONONONONO
Ariel.of.Narnia: *cackles at Lil and Berry's reaction*
Squirrel 6867640: *is having a heart attack*
Lil: *legitemently shakes*
elanorelle: Oh dear.
Lil: What prompt was this?
elanorelle: A title prompt "Last Train to Shadow Lake."
Lil: Oh
Lil: Oh! it's yours?
Squirrel 6867640: Nopenopenope
elanorelle: The prompt was Ed's.
Lil: From last week, right?
Lil: Or some week?
elanorelle: Two or three weeks ago.
Squirrel 6867640: *pantpantpant*
elanorelle: I've been contemplating if I should continue it. What do you think?
Ariel.of.Narnia: Hmm
Squirrel 6867640: Continue it.
Ariel.of.Narnia: I like that dun-dun-dun feel at the end and that' it's left open... but I don't like unsolved mysteries.
elanorelle: I suppose I shall see where it takes me and if my main character will end up with a name. Poor fellow.
Ariel.of.Narnia: Heehee
Lil: He must live and survive
Lil: Otherwise that knot in my stomach may never relosove! *dramatic*
Ariel.of.Narnia: *patpats Lil*
elanorelle: Hmm, I'll take that into consideration. But honestly, I have no idea how things will go.
elanorelle: Any critiques?
Squirrel 6867640: Nope :P
Ariel.of.Narnia: I've already given mine to you.
elanorelle: @Ariel: Did you note the changes I made at the end. If so, what do you think?
Ariel.of.Narnia: I hadn't noticed. Oh, that bumps up the creepy. Also, makes it believable as to how all but one disembarked at Shadow Lake
Squirrel 6867640: *must go*
Squirrel 6867640: *hugs all and poofs*
Ariel.of.Narnia: Night, Berry!
Lil: Aww!
Lil: Well, I'm ready
elanorelle: Night Berry! *hugs*
Squirrel 6867640: Everyone's stories were fantastic!
elanorelle: @Ariel: That's what I was hoping for.
Lil: *offers a snug for the road*
Ariel.of.Narnia: Lil, you had something?
Lil: I wrote it while listening to "The Song" from The song of the sea
Lil: Tonight I took two prompts and made one
Lil: He opened the door to find her standing there, crying. The horse came back alone
Ariel.of.Narnia: *nods* okay

Lil shares ~

Lil: "He opened the door to find her standing there, crying.
The horse came back alone. His breath caught in his throat and he dashed out into the pouring rain, calling his name. A voice called after him “No! Come back! You’re still getting better.”
“No, I have to find him!” Jumping into the saddle, he starred out into the blinding rain and was just about to head out when he saw a small figure heading towards him holding his oilskin cloak. “Thank you.” He said, before setting the horse to a gallop.
Through meadows and pastures the horse led him, and up and down hills. Finally leading him to the edge of dark forbidding forest. Lightening cracked and thunder roared. His horse reared. “No, boy! Into the forest.” He rode through the Forrest on and on nothing but the blur of green below and the wind and driving rain and the will to find the rider who had not returned.
The landscape changed again and again, green and lakes and rivers and till even the recognition of the blue faded and still he kept on.
His horse began to stumble, he tried to steady her as best as possible. He looked up. The sun was rising over a very familiar structure. He urged his horse forward, nearly falling off as he reached the top. He sank to his knees as tears fell from his eyes or was it from the rain? Blinking past his tears, he noticed a familiar shape huddled against the stone. He must have dragged himself here. He thought. “Edmund, I’m here now.” He spoke aloud, draping his cloak over his brother. “I’m here now.” Glancing around, he noticed the clearing was ringed with woodland animals. “Thank you,” He rasped, “Thank you.”

Lil: The end
Ariel.of.Narnia: *definitely didn’t see Narnia coming*
Ariel.of.Narnia: The beginning was a tad confusing, but other than that, I was swung quite comfortably into the tension.
Ariel.of.Narnia: Ela? Any thoughts?
elanorelle: Sorry. Computer issues again. -.-
Ariel.of.Narnia: That song is almost haunting... but also calming... and a bit mournful... but equally hopeful.
Ariel.of.Narnia: Any comments, Ela, for Lil before I share?
elanorelle: @Lil: I too was slightly confused at the beginning but it kept on and now I'm wondering what happened beforehand to get Edmund at that point.
Lil: I don't recall it raining when I started writing this but it is now :P
Lil: (thought I had a story idea all set out, but then it kept evolving)
Ariel.of.Narnia: Haha, that happens
elanorelle: Yep. Happens almost all the time with me.
Lil: I had started out with an original idea
Lil: But then my music started playing
Ariel.of.Narnia: *grins*
Lil: I had actually decided to add in something like maybe he was bleeding, but it didn't really fit the music or the idea of the story
Ariel.of.Narnia: Eh, we got the idea, I think.
Ariel.of.Narnia: I was imagining as much, anyway
Lil: Keep it vague, I said to myself
Lil: Sorry... *cough* don't mean to go on a soap box
Ariel.of.Narnia: Heehee, that's fine
Ariel.of.Narnia: If you two are good to hang around a bit longer, I'll go. If not, I can wait till next week.
Lil: *just notices the time*
elanorelle: I'm good.
Ariel.of.Narnia: Yeah, it's pretty late for you, right, Lil?
Lil: Yep
Lil: But too late
Lil: So here I am :P
Ariel.of.Narnia: Oh, haha
Ariel.of.Narnia: Okay. This is a crossover fic between the MCU and Big Hero 6
Lil: ooooOOOOoooh
Ariel.of.Narnia: Please point out any discrepancies or things that don't make sense or suchlike :P

Ariel.of.Narnia shares ~

Ariel.of.Narnia: It was up to her to investigate how the accident had really happened. Why, she had no idea – actually, she did. Because she was working for Tony Stark now, that’s why. And Tony Stark could be a little random. So really, to be more correct, she had no idea why he wanted to have this investigated. Whatever Stark’s reasons, Maria Hill was here now, fresh off the plane, looking very sharp in her business suit, and staring down a sluggish cop behind his desk.
“I want to see all reports relating to the fire last night at the university.”
“I’ve already told you,” he answered in his nasally voice, “it’s against regulation.”
“And I’ve already told you that this” – she held her old SHIELD identification card in front of his face – “is enough to get everything I need at my fingertips.”
The cop still ignored her card, actually pushing her hand down so he could see her face. “No can do without the proper ID.”
Maria huffed and marched out. She wasn’t above not doing this the legal way, anyway. And she really doubted Stark would care. So she boarded a streetcar and watched the scenery go by until she eventually made it to the San Fransokyo Institute of Technology. It wasn’t a sprawling campus, but it still took Maria a full quarter of an hour to reach the site of the accident. During that time, she took in the simple beauties of the grounds, the mashup of traditional Japanese style and modern architecture, and – most notably – the quiet that seemed to blanket the place. The quiet of grief. Oh, sure, students still talked or basked in the sunshine or sped past her on the way to class. But there was still a solemnity to it all. The feeling increased further when she came across a little shrine of flowers and candles surrounding two photographs – she recognized them from her file as the professor and the student who had died last night. She paused to pay her respects, then moved on.
At the site itself – a large assembly hall –, she stepped over the warning tape and carefully picked her way around the debris into the building. What hadn’t been destroyed in last night’s fire was blackened and twisted. Maria pulled up the hall’s blueprint on her tablet and studied it, then studied the empty shell she stood in. After flipping through a few more images, she began to explore in earnest, making note of the odd soot pattern here, what looked like a blast pattern there, and something… off… toward the back. She almost fancied it to be a trail of a sort, but it wasn’t convincing enough to be so. She snapped a few pictures of it, though, just in case.
“Excuse me, miss?” Maria looked up to see a security guard outside the barrier. “You shouldn’t be in there. Come out, please.” Maria nodded. She was done here anyway. She hadn’t even made it back to the barrier yet before the security guard began to lecture her. “The tape’s here for a reason, miss. That building’s not cleared –”
Maria swung her leg over the barrier and stood before the security guard. He trailed off and watched her carefully, as if he expected her to do or say something. She stared him down for a moment before she said, “I’m sorry to have intruded. Thank you for your time.” Then she walked away, her heels clicking smartly against the cobblestones.
She made herself wait until she was back on the private jet before she called Stark.
“Maria. What’d you find?”
Maria scrolled through the pictures on her tablet to review them. “It wasn’t an accident. The fire was definitely intentional.”
“And the kid?”
“Nothing. The explosion left nothing of either body.”
“No, I meant if his death was an accident. Though now that you mention it….” Stark trailed off into incoherent mumbles and mutterings. “I’ve got those police files for you, uploading to your tablet now. Stay “Sure.”
“Great – hey!” He broke off to chide someone on his end. “That particular chip is very important – Pepper, give it!” Maria heard Pepper’s indistinct voice responding. “Know what, here, you can hold Friday, just give Tadashi back.”
Maria stopped fiddling with her tablet. “‘Tadashi’?”
Stark paused, seeming to have been suddenly reminded that she was on the line. “Yeah. I think he would have been proud of this one. It was his idea anyway.”
“What was?”
“New AI prototype. Uh, hey, I gotta go, Maria. Keep looking into it, alright?”
“The line went dead before she could reply. But at least she had something of an answer now. The university fire was important to Tony Stark because the student who had died, Tadashi Hamada, was important to Tony Stark.

Ariel.of.Narnia: The end
elanorelle: *grins*
Lil: Wheeeeeeee!
Lil: *says in Baymax voice*
elanorelle: That was downright great. Loved how you incorporated the chip.
Lil:The only thing I wanted more of was exploring
Ariel.of.Narnia: @Elanor: well, after Age of Ultron bored me out of my mind, I had to do something with that chip.
Ariel.of.Narnia: @Lil: yeah... I feel like that needs to be expanded too.
Lil: What if Maria follows a trail
Lil: Or brings Hiro a microbot she found
Lil: Or if she found it and it was brought to him
Lil: Or maybe she just followed
Lil: Sorry
Ariel.of.Narnia: *giggles*
Lil: *brain thinks it's morning....* >.<
Ariel.of.Narnia: If I happen to continue this one day (didn't have intentions to do so, but this leaves so much open!), it could go many places
Lil: It could
elanorelle: *nods*
Ariel.of.Narnia: Anyway, you need to get to bed!
Lil: Everyone has done nicely
Lil: So nicely on their writing
Lil: I hope to come again sometime
Ariel.of.Narnia: Yes, very good day today.
Ariel.of.Narnia: I hope so too
Lil: (I'm not adverse to reminders either)
Ariel.of.Narnia: @Lil: I'll try to remember that. I have a tough time remembering to remind people.
Lil: Hehe
Ariel.of.Narnia: Okay, well. Writers' dismissed.

Writer's Group dismissed ~

Click here to Reply or Forward
3.78 GB (25%) of 15 GB used
Manage
Terms - Privacy
Last account activity: 22 hours ago
Details

Narniac 101's profile photo
Narniac 101
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"

Return to “Writer's Official Logs”