Summer Challenge 2016 Sharing Thread

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, jesusgirl4ever, Ajnos

kristi
Site Admin

Re: Summer Challenge 2016 Sharing Thread

Post by kristi » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:07 pm

Haven't caught up, but interesting story from last night.

My oldest nephew had at least some of the Narnia stories read to him as a way of transitioning to chapter books around third grade. He may have carried on reading a few for a bit. So now he claims that he's read them, but he doesn't remember any of the details! In my book this doesn't count. (My mom's the same way. She can't remember the plot of a movie she's watched, but if she knows she's watched it at some point she'll refuse to watch it again.) So last night we had an evening together and he was playing with his new Zelda game Grandma just got him for his birthday, and we got to talking briefly about Narnia, with the same sort of disinterested "been there already" reaction.

Soooo...rather than sit on my computer and work on the new character builder while he played his game, I got sneaky. I told him I was behind on reading for the Summer Challenge and would he mind if I read chapters five and six aloud, since that was where I was supposed to be. He said he didn't mind.
I ended up going back a little way in chapter four to give him some context as to who Doctor Cornelius was, and pretty soon he'd set the game aside and was sitting on the sofa just listening. :)

I had high hopes that when he got home he might look up a copy at the library or get one from his mom and continue reading where we left off, but unfortunately my mom, sister and other nephew got back from their shopping trip much earlier than expected, so we weren't far into chapter five before I had to set the book down, coo over their shopping finds, and help with supper. So...I don't know if he's hooked or not. Here's hoping. :)
Ajnos
Site Admin

Post by Ajnos » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:45 pm

Hobbit: I love those drawings, your pictures always capture the characterisation so well

Swan: I noticed in today's chapters the bit about the air of Narnia helping them return their physical strength (and I guess also memories) from their time before. So I'm guessing Lucy would eventually be able to swim again? I also like your photos, though I couldn't work out what the second one is of. Is the teddy sucking his paw?

Hobbit: That's a really interesting comparison about Cornelius finding the horn and Uncle Andrew the contents of the Atlantean box. I think Cornelius was a lot wiser with his use of magic and more aware of its dangers than Uncle Andrew though. I also noticed the bit about the mention of humans being responsible for naming the animals (like in Genesis) and hadn't noticed that before. That's one of the cool things about the Summer Challenge. When you just read a book through from beginning to end, you miss a lot of the insignificant details, but when you are forced to focus on a couple chapters at a time, you are more likely to notice those little things.

Ariel: Interesting question about the stories. I've been wondering a lot what life was like for the Telmarines. Miraz seems to be very cruel but must also be very powerful because he managed to get away with murdering the king and most of his close followers. It seems perhaps there were a lot of things uttered in secret that would not be said aloud. And of course when it was, bad things would happen like to the Nurse. But people knew what was going on because Cornelius says "Everyone but your Majesty knows that Miraz is a usurper." I also wonder what things were like before Miraz. Were the previous kings similarly bad? The Old Narnians seem to have been in hiding for some generations, but was it like that from the beginning. Just because they were conquered doesn't mean stories of the old days were initially suppressed but it had been long enough for the woods to grow up, Cair Paravel to fall to ruins and the stories to become of mythical status. Hmmm...it's all rather interesting.

Kristi: I hope he gets to it. But don't despair. I was introduced to Narnia first at a very young age (and I remembered none of the actual stories like your nephew) and then later in school. But I didn't finally get into it until high school so, there's still hope. (I also smiled at you reading the day's chapters to him, because that's what happened with me and my sister listening to the chapters while queuing to vote (she was also thrown into it mid-story). I thought she'd gotten bored after a while when her earphone fell out but then she complained when I didn't give it back to her so apparently she was enjoying it, although she didn't ask to hear more later).

Day 3

Chapter 5 (and 3)
I really like Trumpkin's alliterative exclamations so I thought I'd make a list of them. (I'll add to it as more come up). I also looked up some of the words I didn't know.

Beards and bedsteds!
Horns and halibuts! (halibut = type of fish)
Bulbs and bolsters? (bolster = long round pillow or cushion)
Whistles and whirligigs! (whirligig = 1. a spinning toy like a top or windmill 2. a beetle that skims on the surface of water)

Chapter 6: The people who lived in hiding
I really love this chapter. I think it's the one place in all the stories where we really get insight into the lives of the "Old Narnians" i.e. the non-humans. Although Narnia known for being a world populated by talking animals, apart from the bits in LWW set in Tumnus' and the beavers' homes, the stories are chiefly about humans and the adventures of the Children. But here we get insight into the animal life of Narnia. I kinda feel a bit like Caspian in this part "Now began one of the happiest times that Caspian had ever known." It must have been so exciting for Caspian to see how all these animals were thriving despite their living in hiding.

I also found that Lewis' ability to describe the different animals is brilliant. He's so clever at giving them each the characteristics of their own creature despite being anthropomorphic. I feel like he actually does this better here than in LWW, where he might be accused of making the beavers a bit too human-like what with Mrs Beaver's sewing machine etc. From writing my Susan Fiction, and setting it in a world of only talking animals, I can appreciate how hard this is and Lewis did a much better job of it than me.

Here are a few quotes about the animals I liked:

Of the bulgy bears: "There was a noise like a small earthquake…" and "very wet, snuffly kisses they were"
Of Pattertwig: "Indeed the difficulty was to get him to stop talking, for like all squirrels, he was a chatterer." (interestingly, the same is said of Reep in VDT - Lewis accidentally used the same joke twice :P )
Of Glenstorm: "He was a prophet and a star-gazer and knew what they had come about"
Of Reep: "[his ears were] nearly as long (though broader) than a rabbit's" and "He wore a tiny little rapier at his side and twirled his long whiskers as if they were a moustache."

Also: yay for mention of Hogglestock the hedgehog, I so wish we'd learned more about him.

I also really liked the characterisation of the dwarfs as sceptics. The red dwarfs are loyal despite their scepticism, but the black dwarfs are a bit more self-serving and side with Caspian only because they feel he will aid their cause.
Thank you for the set Happy!!

Born a Daughter of Eve; Now a Daughter of the Second Adam
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:04 am

Day 3:

Day 4:
(The carvings are obviously influenced by Egyptian art, because I am more than a little obsessed with Egyptology...)
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:56 am

Chapter 6-8

Yeah, I'm lumping together again.

It's almost surprising to see how quickly a lot of these Old Narnians are swearing allegiance to Caspian. Yes, there are suspicions, but still.
On the flip side, Caspian is growing into his role as king. No sense of self-importance or a trumpeting of everyone's allegiance, just a sense of assertion and authority.
You know, I don''t remember any particular mention after chapter 7 of Cornelius and Reep's relationship, even though Reep declares that Cornelius shall have his friendship. That would be interesting to explore in a fic...
I knew it before, but it's really sticking out now: the mound was built over the Stone Table. This being after years of wind, rain, and snow. Even here, we have another case of Old Narnia being preserved for the future.
Also, Cornelius mentions the Stone Table as being the most ancient location in Narnia, even over the lamppost, which grew at the dawn of time. Now I'm wondering when the Stone Table came to be. Whatever the answer to that, though, I think it would still qualify as "most ancient" simply because it is part of the Deeper Magic since before the dawn of time, even if the Table itself came afterward.
Trumpkin continues to be skeptical about all things magical, and yet it doesn't seem to faze anyone. And what I mean by that is, that it's not shaking anyone else's faith. The rest of the council carries on as if he hadn't declared that the horn (in his opinion) wouldn't work. Even the Pevensies seem to brush off his skepticism and talk about Jinns and such. :)
"... we're awfully fond of children and all that..." Unless he's referring to Edmund and Lucy specifically, Trumpkin seems to forget that Caspian is a child too, not much younger than Peter himself. Perhaps their clothes and mannerisms made them seem a little younger as the Narnian air had not made them seem as kingly and queenly just yet?
Peter's plan to set up a duel with Trumpkin. Very clever and diplomatic way of saying, "We are a little more useful to Caspian than just mere children."

Aaaaand that's all I have for today.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
Tenethia
Site Admin

Post by Tenethia » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:07 am

Hobbit, what lovely pictures those are! You have such a knack for drawing ^.^
Ajjie, I love those animal quotes ^.^
Kristi, you're very very sneaky, aren't you?
*squees at Swan a little bit* I love the idea of a scavenger hunt! We should do one all together sometime :D
Ariel, I hadn't noticed the way Trumpkin looked down on the Pevs, and not on Caspian. That's very interesting to note. I think, like you suggested, that I would consider his reaction being because their looking so different and... young... in their English clothes.

I'm still behind. I finished chapter 4 tonight, though!

"No, Dear Prince. The great lords of the upper sky know the steps of their dance far too well for that."

I'm sure Cornelius told Caspian who taught Tarva and Alambil their dance steps. I wonder, when he wasn't sure what to do before the Pevensies arrived, if he thought about that. Perhaps he thought that Aslan would lead and teach him what he needed to do to defeat Miraz. Even in our world, God knows everything that's going to happen. He knows what steps should be taken, and what steps WILL be taken. And he's willing to teach us the steps he wants us to take -- just like the stars :)

*nearly falls asleep half through Chapter 5* This is what happens when you work, practice driving two hours, make dinner, do a days worth of school, write a speech, and try to read a book at 2 in the morning :P
Anyway -- I'll give my reflections so far! I'm seriously not impressed with the amount of magic Mr. Cornelius is using. Tsk tsk. A contrived sleep, spells to find the horn, like seriously. *stares at Lewis*

Also, this line reminds me of a Studio C episode.: "But when day came, with a sprinkle of rain, and he looked about him and saw on every side unknown woods, wild heaths and blue mountains, he thought how large and strange the world was and felt frightened and small." *grins impishly and wonders who will know which skit she is thinking of*

Meh. I'll stop there. I'm tired. :P
Lady Tenethia, Moderator and Contributor
This is my favorite scripture passage ^.^
narniac101
Contributor

Post by narniac101 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:26 pm

*is really enjoying everybody's reflections and artsy things!*

I haven't said much around here, (and I may be around three chapters behind :roll: ) buuut... while I was reading in chapter 7, though, I was thinking... Dr. Cornelius couldn't see Reepicheep when he first spoke, but for Cornelius, it wouldn't have been such a long way down to the mouse as a human. Kinda struck me as funny for a second.

Also, my mom gave me a few French copies of Narnia for my birthday. Prince Caspian happened to come first, soooo... It's pretty cool, and very, very confusing. :P
Thank you, Hobbit!
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:26 pm

Tenethia wrote:Also, this line reminds me of a Studio C episode.: "But when day came, with a sprinkle of rain, and he looked about him and saw on every side unknown woods, wild heaths and blue mountains, he thought how large and strange the world was and felt frightened and small." *grins impishly and wonders who will know which skit she is thinking of*
What I'm reminded of is Narrator Hater...? :?
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
Tenethia
Site Admin

Post by Tenethia » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:56 pm

YESSSSS!
Very good Hobbit. :P
Lady Tenethia, Moderator and Contributor
This is my favorite scripture passage ^.^
Ajnos
Site Admin

Post by Ajnos » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:01 pm

Hobbit: Your horse picture is amazing! I can't believe how well you captured the action and terror.
Tenny: I really like the illustration of the Lord guiding our steps as Aslan taught the starts their dance. About Cornelius and his use of magic, we had a really long thread in which we discussed just that question some years ago on the old forum (it was up to like 16 pages of discussion). I'm sorry we lost that because it had some interesting thoughts about the matter.
Narniac: How exciting to have a French copy. I've read some of the Narnian books in Afrikaans - it's kinda cool to see how they translate things. I think I read the PC one but I can't really remember it well. (Also someone was giving away a Danish copy of one of the books at the CSL society last year and I nearly took it. But I don't know any Danish, although my great parents came from Denmark :( )
Ariel: That is interesting about the table being implied to be older than the lamppost. I agree that the magic from before the dawn of time being linked with it could be an explanation but it's origin is curious. It's interesting that Lewis didn't mention it at all in MN although he used that to explain so many other origins like the lamppost, Jadis' presence in Narnia and the wood for the wardrobe.

I'm a bit behind on reflections though I'm just keeping up with the reading. (Then again I'm almost half a day ahead of you guys by time zone). This reflection is based mainly on Chapters 7-8, but takes some information from earlier and from chapter 9.

Day 4
Chapter 7-8 (and 5 and 9): Character Profile - Trumpkin
So I was thinking about Trumpkin's characterisation in the book and it struck me for the first time that to some degree it's actually his story. He's the first Narnian we meet and the one telling much of the early story. But more than that, he's the one that undergoes the greatest change. From a highly sceptical dwarf (sceptical about everything from the existence of magic and Aslan to the Children's abilities) he turns out to be one of the most likeable characters and ends up being Caspian's first choice for regent on two occasions.

Appearance: "Very stocky and deep-chested… about three feet high… an immense beard and whiskers of coarse red hair [which] left little of his face to be seen except a beak-like nose and twinkling black eyes."

Skills: Fishing, Sword-fighting, "A famous bowman among his own people"

Background: We aren't really told anything, but I'm rather curious how he came to be living with a black dwarf and a badger (rather than with the other red dwarfs). What did the three of them do when they weren't rescuing princes who had fallen off their horses?

Personality and characterisation:
(For this, I went through the various bits where he speaks or does something that reveals his character; each paragraph relates to a different bit of the story)

At first Trumpkin is introduced as a character who represents the middle-ground, in contrast to Trufflehunter and Nikabrik. When they are discussing what they should do with Caspian, Nikabrik wants to kill him, Trufflehunter wants to look after him but Trumpkin points out that if they wanted to kill him they should have done so and that by taking him in and bandaging him, he had become a guest. This sums up his practical and level-headed character. Trumpkin seems to have a soft spot for Caspian right from the start, "it isn't the creature's fault that it bashed its head against a tree outside our hole. And I don't think it looks like a traitor." Trumpkin is also very quick to put Nikabrik in his place "will you contain yourself, or must Trufflehunter and I sit on your head?"

Trumpkin's scepticism is shown from early on. He is shocked that Trufflehunter believes the old stories about High King Peter and the children from our world, and doesn't think many people "still believe in Aslan nowadays." Despite this, he does have a clear sense of good and evil and sides with Caspian and Trufflehunter in overruling the black dwarfs' desire to have a hag and ogre join their army. Like magic and the children and Aslan, Trumpkin is also hesitant to believe in the spirits of trees and woods which had fallen into a deep sleep during his lifetime, "What imaginations you animals have!", he says, "But why stop at Trees and Waters? Wouldn't it be nicer if the stones started throwing themselves at old Miraz?"

One of the things that reveals Trumpkin's good intentions despite his unwillingness to believe in the unseen is the way he responds to Doctor Cornelius. While Nikabrik sees him as a traitor (as Cornelius predicted a true dwarf would), Trumpkin stands up for him saying "the creature can't help his ancestry".

Trumpkin is extremely practical (in some ways he's a lot like Susan and perhaps shares some of her failings). He says, while plans are being made to hide out at Aslan's How "I wish our leaders would think less about old wives' tales and more about victuals and arms."

One of my favourite bits about Trumpkin is the speech he gives regarding how he feels about using Aslan's horn. He is clear that he does not believe it can be of any help: "Your Majesty knows I think the Horn - and these broken bits of stone over there - and your great King Peter - and your Lion Aslan - are all eggs in moonshine," but then he astounds them all by offering to be one of the messengers sent to look for the help if it should come. "But I thought you didn't believe in the Horn, Trumpkin," said Caspian. "No more I do, your majesty. But what's that got to do with it? … You are my King. I know the difference between giving advice and taking orders. You've had my advice, and now it's time for orders."

I was wondering a couple days ago how Trumpkin managed to get through his whole story without giving the children a chance to tell them who they were or figuring it out himself. But seeing just how much of a sceptic he was, it makes a bit more sense. He was so convinced that the children were not real and would not come, it hadn't occurred to him that these might be them. In a way, it reminds me a bit of when Jesus came to earth and many of the Jews who had been expecting a Messiah, didn't recognise him. He didn't meet their expectations so they couldn't see who he was and were blinded to the truth. That's where Trumpkin found himself when he was face to face with the famous kings and queens of old - despite having been sent to look for them. I think that serves as a lesson to us: we must be prepared to recognise when our expectations are wrong, or we might miss out on something important. (A similar message comes through later when Aslan suggests to Lucy that she ought to have followed him despite what the others thought and despite the fact that it looked like he was leading them the wrong way).

I agree with Ariel that Peter's plan to show Trumpkin that they were really the great Kings and Queens he was looking was a very clever plan, and also rather gracious. (As an aside, I hadn't remembered until now that the term "dear little friend(s)" was actually originally given by Trumpkin to the children and they applied it to him. I also thought, like Ariel, that it was odd that Trumpkin was so condescending of their youth despite Caspian being around the same age. Perhaps he had some sense of loyalty to the fact that because Caspian was the rightful king, his youthfulness was irrelevant.)

We see something of Trumpkin's sensitive side when he deals with the killing of the bear and encourages Susan who was concerned about it being a talking bear, and thus hesitating to kill it. His practical side is clear when he suggests their taking the bear meat for food. He's also the one to figure out that the landscape would have changed drastically since the children had been in Narnia.

Trumpkin's scepticism rises to the fore again when Lucy sights Aslan. While he's willing to accept that Lucy had seen a Lion, he suspects it might have been a wild lion and has no belief that if it was the talking one they knew as Aslan that he might have gone wild or aged. When it comes to the vote on whether to follow Lucy's lead or not, he takes what he thinks is the practical option.

I want to end with two comments (misconceptions) Trumpkin makes about Aslan which will be important later when he actually meets Aslan face to face:
When the black dwarfs want to bring in the hag and ogre, Trufflehunter says "We should not have Aslan for our friend if we brought in that rabble." Trumpkin replies, "Oh Aslan!" (he says cheerily but contemptuously) "What matters much more is that you wouldn't have me."

Then to Lucy he says: "Her Majesty may well have seen a lion…There are lions in these woods, I've been told. But it needn't have been friendly and talking lion any more than the bear was a friendly talking bear…He'd be a pretty elderly lion by now…if it's the one you knew when you were here before! And if it coul be the same one, what's to prevent him having gone wild and witless like so many others." Peter chastises him for this, but kindly "The D.L.F doesn't understand, how could he?...You mustn't talk like that again. It isn't lucky for one thing: and it's all nonsense for another…"

Ajnos
Site Admin

Post by Ajnos » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:26 pm

Apologies for the double post

Day 5
Chapter 10: The Return of the Lion

Lucy's conversation with Aslan is so beautiful with so many powerful messages. These are my favourites:

1) "Aslan," said Lucy, "you're bigger."
"That's because you are older, little one," answered he.
"Not because you are?"
"I am not. But every year you grow, you will find me bigger."

How wrong Trumpkin was about Aslan being "a pretty elderly lion by now." As Peter said, "The D.L.F doesn't understand, how could he?" And he didn't. Aslan doesn't age because he is outside of time. Logically, one would have expected the opposite of what Lucy saw - that Aslan would look smaller as she got older. That's what usually happens (I often notice how things I used to consider so big as a child now seem so much smaller). But Aslan doesn't fit the standard rules. As the physical incarnation of God, his apparent size to Lucy is dependant not on physical features but on spiritual. The more Lucy knows and understands who he is, the larger he appears. In the same way, the closer we are to God and the more we grow in our faith, the "bigger" he appears (in the sense that we have a better understanding of his greatness and power).

That we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting, but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head - Christ. (Eph 4:14-15)

2) "…I couldn't have left the others and come up to you alone…it wouldn't have been alone, I know, not if I was with you. But what would have been the good?"
Aslan said nothing.
"You mean," said Lucy rather faintly, "that it would have turned out all right - somehow? But how? Please, Aslan! Am I not to know?"
"To know what would have happened, child?" said Aslan, "No. Nobody is ever told that."
"Oh dear," said Lucy.
"But anyone can find out what will happen."

This is a strong message about trusting God's guidance even when those around us don't want to do so. And even when it seems that perhaps his guidance didn't look like the best path. We learn later that had they followed Aslan, they would have saved much time and made it to Caspian's sooner. Of course, we don't know quite what would have happened, especially if Lucy had been alone, but we can make some guesses based on what happens later. Nikabrik's bringing in of the hag and werewolf was because it appeared the children had not arrived. Had even Lucy alone arrived the day before, that whole episode would have been avoided and Nikabrik's life might have been spared. But we can't blame the children (or Lucy) for what happened; Nikabrik reaped the reward of his own evil heart. And the good news is that even though the children had messed up by not following Aslan at once, he is able to redeem the situation and still bring success (though through more suffering). Even after we have messed up we can still find out what "will happen" when we repent.

And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to his purpose. (Rom 8:28)

3) "Will the others see you too?" asked Lucy.
"Certainly not at first," said Aslan. "Later on, it depends."
"But they won't believe me!" said Lucy.
"It doesn't matter," said Aslan.

We are each called on to be responsible for our own faith and decisions. Just because those around us are "blind" to the truth doesn't mean that we shouldn't a) tell them the truth and risk not being believed and b) follow the Lord even when others refuse. Aslan seems to be saying to Lucy here: "It doesn't matter what the others think or say or do. I am asking you to follow me. How they respond is not your problem." This is both a challenge and an encouragement to us: A challenge to stand up for what we believe, but an encouragement to not feel guilty about how others respond. Lucy's obedience is rewarded. Her insistence results in the others agreeing to follow her despite not really believing her, and ultimately they are all brought around and come to see Aslan for themselves.

But even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, whose minds the god of this age has blinded, who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine on them. For we do not preach ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord…
While we do not look at the things which are seen but which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary but the things which are not seen are eternal. (2 Cor 4:3-5; 18)

4) "I thought you'd come roaring in and frighten all the enemies away - like last time. And now everything is going to be horrid."
"It is hard for you, little one," said Aslan. But things never happen the same way twice. It has been hard for us all in Narnia before now.

I said on the first day, it is interesting how in this story, Aslan leaves the children to fend for themselves far more than he did in the first book. Then they were young and clueless, but now they have matured and know things like how to take care of themselves in the wild. It's not that he doesn't provide for them along the way (and even protect them from enemy arrows despite going the wrong way), but it's like he's stepped back and is allowing them to figure out things for themselves. Why? Probably the same reason a parent gradually gives a child more and more freedom and independence so they can grow into a healthy adult. There is no reason Aslan could not have come bounding in to save the day. But there were many important lessons learned and they developed in their faith because he gave them more freedom to make mistakes and grow. The part where Aslan says "it has been hard for us all" I think is to point out that Lucy might think that what he asks of her is hard. But they have all had to undergo difficulties and, in fact, by comparison hers is very mild. Sure "it is a terrible thing to wake four people, all older than yourself, for the purpose of telling them something they probably wouldn't believe…" but others were fighting losing battles and putting their lives on the line. Some were even giving up their lives. The old Narnians had had to live in hiding for generations and even many of the Telmarines were ill-treated by their evil King. What he was asking Lucy to do would at the most hurt her pride. I think we're often like Lucy. Other people have to put their lives on the line for their faith ("it's hard for all of us"), but like her we complain and get scared when all we're asked to do is tell people the truth at the risk of being laughed at or disbelieved.

Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory. (2 Cor 4:16-17)

5) Lucy buried her head in his mane to hide from his face. But there must have been magic in his mane. She could feel lion-strength going into her. Quite suddenly she sat up.
"I'm sorry, Aslan," she said. "I'm ready now."
"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan.

Despite her doubts and failings, Lucy knew where to turn to for strength. And he gave it to her willingly.

Come to me, all you who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest (Matt 11: 28)
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my strength is made perfect in weakness." (2 Cor 12:9a)

Return to “Summer Challenge 2016!”