Summer Challenge Sharing Thread 2017

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Lucy Took, Ajnos, Swanwhite

Lucy Took
Site Admin

Re: Summer Challenge Sharing Thread 2017

Post by Lucy Took » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:33 am

I took my book with me to work and discovered that my lunch break is just right for two chapters :)

So my first reflection is Innocence.

Starting a childhood favorite right away really brought me back to a time when life was simpler. Not just the memories of being 11 and reading Narnia for the first time (Though I admittedly listened to the radio theater of MN first...and SC was the first that I actually read. My ordering was weird.) but of being a child who wants to explore a big house on a rainy day. It's inspiring me to keep on following the encouragement of my boss to explore the old church that I work in on my breaks, maybe I'll find something as magical as a wardrobe (Like the music directors secret stash of books or something!)

And Lucy. Dear Lucy, her innocence in just following a random stranger home is the kind that would scare any modern day parent. But in this reading, I don't actually see her following Mr. Tumnus home as being as dangerously naive as climbing into a van claiming free candy. Instead it's almost like letting your imagination run wild. If there's a whole wood in the back of your wardrobe (Which you are sensible enough not to close), then why should the rules of everyday life matter? They don't. Then go ahead and follow that weird faun home. And I suppose in a way, it's a challenge to me as an adult. Now that I'm grown up, the rules about strangers are different, just like they are in Narnia. I'm not stupid enough to follow someone home, but maybe I should take a page out of Lucy's book and go out of my way to talk to some people.

Oh. And rereading some good Golden Age lit is the best for my current increased involvement in NarniaMUCK ;)
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:18 am

Okay, so first things first: The following reflection is a cheating two-fer. Namely, I wrote (most of) this as an example for the current writing contest, "Always Winter, Never Christmas" (http://www.thelionscall.com/2017/07/17/ ... ontest-90/); and I reeeeeeeally encourage entries to the contest if one of your reflections happens to fit or if you have an idea for the contest that also doubles as a reflection!

Chapter 1:
Something I noticed this time around are all the little details that may or may not mean anything at any given time. The maids' names, the first few rooms being nothing more than spare bedrooms, the dead fly on the windowsill. Also kind of thought it curious to to think about the things in these (at least seemingly) unused rooms, like the massive books (does the professor read them?), the suit of armour (personally, I'd want to see that thing every day!), and a wardrobe full of fur coats (why not have them stashed somewhere more accessible?). I imagine they're great furnishings during those tours and perhaps there are even little tidbits about how the suit of armour is historically related to the room it's in or such-like, but one has to wonder.... ;)
Anyway, to my main reflection. So the thing that sparked this (not particularly stellar example of writing) was the question: What is in Tumnus' packages and where did he get them from? And then it snowballed into something different, as my writing tends to do.

Mother was not doing well. Fifteen years of straight winter had taken its toll on her: she was near-bedridden most days and half-delirious more often than not. Tumnus worried for her. She was not gone, not yet, and he had to take care of her as best as he knew how. What recourse did he have? Even if Father — no. It was no good thinking about Father now. What was done was done. Mother could not live on hours of knitting and dozens of flute-songs. She needed these precious packages of food.
Tumnus shivered in the cold. Father was not here. Mother need not know. Mother may not even notice. Much as he wanted her to recover, this much worked in his favour: Mother would not suffer a broken heart over his broken promises.
At last, he reached home and thawed his fingers over the crackling fire. “It’s cold out there today, Mother,” he said with forced cheerfulness. She didn’t respond, but he hadn’t expected her to: she hadn’t spoken in such a long time. Keeping up a stream of chatter for the both of them, Tumnus prepared lunch: tea, bread and butter, a slice of ham, and, from the new provisions, a handful of dried cranberries. “Here we are, Mother,” he announced as he approached her bed with the tray.
Mother turned her eyes from the fire to smile at him. Her hands pushed something — a package — toward him. On top, in neat and careful letters, were written the words “Merry Christmas”. Tumnus’ heart froze. Ill as she was, Mother had remembered Christmas. And after what he had done — what was he to do? He fought the urge to check over his shoulder for the Secret Police as if he expected them to pounce on them right that instant. Instead, he set down the tray and unwrapped the paper. The scarf inside was long and bright red, redder than holly. “It’s lovely, Mother. Thank you.” He wrapped it around his neck. “And it’s warm too!”
Mother smiled again and they tucked into their lunch. Tumnus relaxed when Mother did not question the new fare. However, when they had finished and he began to clear the dishes, he noticed that she had not touched the cranberries. He bit his lip without meaning to. So she knew after all. She knew of his betrayal. She knew he had gone to the White Witch. Tears sprang to his eyes and shame filled his heart. Mother’s hand cupped his cheek and wiped at one of his tears. When he finally met her gaze, he saw unshed tears in her own eyes. But behind those tears, beyond the spark of rebellion in the face of endless winter, he saw the one truth he had always known: “I love you.”
Years after Mother had passed on, Tumnus still made his fortnightly excursions to collect his pay. He still felt a twinge of guilt every time he went, but he took comfort in that he had not actually performed any service. Surely that much warranted the reward of the little of Mother's loving embrace that lived on in the red muffler. He was still thinking of her when, all of a sudden, he jumped and dropped his packages. "Good gracious me!" he exclaimed, for there, standing before him, was what appeared to be the beginnings of his first assignment: a Human. Mother, Father, forgive me.

Chapter 2:
Okay, so the first things I took note of were the bits and pieces of Lucy and Tumnus' first conversation that were retained - sometimes even word-for-word - by the 2005 film. Just made me happy, you know?
Has anyone else wondered about this title on Tumnus' shelf: Men, Monks, and Gamekeepers; a Study in Popular Legends? Specifically, the bit about monks? Nowhere in the books are monks mentioned. Except perhaps the Hermit of the Southern March? He seems kinda monk-like. Maybe Silenus too? The illustration of him looks similar to a monk; and a cursory look at Wikipedia mentions that he was a tutor of Bacchus (and yet also a follower of the latter).
The thing that stuck out to me the most, though, was Tumnus' reaction to Lucy saying that she ought to go home. Maybe it has to do with the little ficlet thingy I wrote above, but I think I empathized with his meltdown more than I ever had. (My lesser empathy in times past being, I think, due to his rather exaggerated crying. I'm just saying, I've shed a good many tears in a single sitting before, but never enough to form a puddle on the floor with the tears wrung out of a hanky.) Tumnus is the very picture of remorse and despair. Even after admitting that he's doing something terrible ("You are the child."), he seems to have no hope but to do the Witch's bidding ("And if I don't, [insert laundry list of the tortures and possible death that await him]." Thankfully, his heart is soft enough to help Lucy get back home anyway, despite the consequences.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:45 am

Going on a more spiritual tack today. :D

Chapter 3:
I may have thought of this before, I'm not sure, but Lucy's excitement to share Narnia with her siblings and their giving her a hard time of it actually reminds me of sharing Christ with people. Admittedly, I have not tried to do so anywhere near as much as I should, but the comparison still cropped up in my mind.
- Lucy has discovered something new and amazing and wonderful and she's simply bursting to show the others. This is like the joy we find in Christ and what He has done for us. It should gush out of us and inspire us to get others into the wonder of it.
- Peter, Susan, and Edmund are convinced enough (or annoyed enough) to check out her story, but are road-blocked by the disappearance of the magic. This won't always be the case for the people we witness to, but I think it is more common to find that people don't see what the fuss is about right away. Maybe they're just processing. Maybe they're resisting. Maybe there's something in their hearts that gives them pause even though they want to believe.
- Lucy is ostracized for her "made-up story" that she simply will not let go of. Again, not always the case, but it definitely happens a lot. Sometimes, people don't mean to hurt us because of the difference, like Peter and Susan. Other times, people will go out of their way to cause pain, like Edmund. And yet, just like Lucy, we know the truth and we have to stick by it, no matter how miserable our relationships may become.

Chapter 4:
"The greatest enemy of hunger for God is not poison but apple pie. It is not the banquet of the wicked that dulls our appetite for heaven, but endless nibbling at the table of the world." ~ Dr John Piper
I have no idea if John Piper was thinking about Narnia at all when he said that, but it's Edmund's situation exactly (and it even sounds like the bit later on about how nothing ruins the taste of good ordinary food like the memory of bad magic food). But that's irrelevant, haha. The point is, temptation doesn't come in the form of a red-skinned, pitchfork-wielding monster beckoning us with long, black nails toward a fiery doom. Temptation comes in the form of a beautiful angel of light (II Cor 11:14) offering the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life (I John 2:16) -- that is, all the shiny, pretty things that distract and lure and trap us. And just like Edmund's Turkish Delight, if we allow ourselves to eat and consume and gorge upon these things, we'll kill ourselves doing it, one way or another.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
Lily of Archenland
ROotL

Post by Lily of Archenland » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:26 am

http://oi67.tinypic.com/au82kw.jpg
A little intro piece...
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:49 am

So these were kind of carelessly-done drawings; the first one I did at 1 in the morning last night. :lol: (They're a bit bigger on the computer than they were in my sketchbook.)
The idea was to pick a line that a character says in one of the two chapters for the day, and then draw the moment in which the line was being said. I don't know if I'll be keeping this idea up the whole time, but it worked for the first two days. :P

Day 1:

Day 2:
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
Swanwhite
Site Admin

Post by Swanwhite » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:31 pm

Splendid stuff guys!

@Tooky Yeah! I love the fairytale simplicity of it with the "Why not go to a stranger's place for tea?"

@Ariel Love the fic! The part where she gave him the red scarf hit me in the feels.

I was just thinking, you know what makes it kind of more understandable for Tumnus to be in the Witch's pay? The books on his shelves. He wasn't even certain that humans were real. He was on the payroll to potentially catch a mythical creature if he happened to find one. And he wouldn't have really realized that humans were "human" in our sense of the word. Humans were like an alien creature to him and he didn't expect one to be so personable.
Niffum
ROotL

Post by Niffum » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:11 pm

""The greatest enemy of hunger for God is not poison but apple pie. It is not the banquet of the wicked that dulls our appetite for heaven, but endless nibbling at the table of the world." ~ Dr John Piper" Ariel, I love this quote!

To begin with I love how Lewis further shows us the relationships between the siblings. Susan is the "(s)mothering" one who dismisses Lucy's story, Peter is the big brother who at first gently teases, but truly tries to listen and understand, and later to encourage her to admit she's just pretending, but is still supportive. I always wanted a big brother growing up, a protector and one who would at least try to understand me. Ed on the other hand was, as Lewis puts it, disagreeable! The only reason he went into the wardrobe room was to keep teasing and taunting Lucy. Of course /he/ shuts the door all the way. When he can't find his way through the wardrobe at first he becomes upset and flails about, unlike Lucy who simply enters Narnia.

Now comes the real start of Edmund's story. At first he is wary of the Witch, confused and unsure, but as soon as she offers him sweets and something to drink his wariness melts away. Sin and darkness are like that. Piper is right, if sin looked like sin nobody would want it, but wrapped up in a warm goblet of drink and a plate of enchanted candy, which, like sin leaves you always wanting more and never satisfied, Edmund is taken in. He is more interested in the Witch's castle and more candy than in hearing her demands, and not the least curious about why she wants them there, he wants to be the foucs and if they are there he can't be. When he meets up with Lucy again and hears her tell of her time with Tumnus and the White Witch, Ed, as Lewis says, is already more than half on the Witch's side. One small thing I noticed, or maybe I missed, is the fact that they came right out of the wardrobe, even though Edmund had locked it, how'd that happen? As for Ed, he is beginning his descent into seeing all that happens when you lsten to the lies. Soon he will reach the bottom, but redemption is in store. This is so true, it is not until we are truly desparate, at the end of ourselves that we can truly see our need for God and receive his gift of love and grace.
Ajnos
Site Admin

Post by Ajnos » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:53 pm

hobbit_of_narnia wrote:@Niffum (about the animals): I read the American version for years before I found out that it wasn't the original. In that one it's Susan who says "Foxes!", while Ed says "Snakes:
I have a funny story about this. I've always wanted to see the US editions because we only have the UK ones in SA. I'm using audiobooks for the Summer Challenge so I can listen to the day's chapters on my drive to uni each day (it's almost exactly the right length). For some reason I noticed how enthusiastically the reader has Lucy shout "rabbits!" I had also downloaded the ebook from Project Gutenberg Canada so I could check up quotes for my reflections (they have the Narnia books there because they are out of copyright in Canada and South Africa). And I noticed that in the ebook there were no rabbits. I thought it might be a typo, but wondered if maybe it was based on the US edition. So then I checked to see if it has Maugrim or Fenris and it has Fenris. I was wierdly excited about finally having a US edition even if only as an ebook.

I love your story, Ariel. Not directly relevant or important, but I was actually wondering yesterday whether Tumnus' mother would have been a naiad/dryad or if Lewis imagines female fauns. As far as I know, you only get male fauns in Greco-Roman mythology but I don't know what later medieval type portrayals were like and I can't remember whether Lewis makes mention of female fauns at all. Random, I know. An unfortunate side-effect of being a Classicist.

I also wondered about the Men, Monks and Gamekeepers. Monks and Gamekeepers are both things you expect from men in our world, but not Narnia. I suppose it's possible that Lewis hadn't yet conceived of men having lived in Narnia in the past and that it really does refer to myths about these mysterious beings from another (i.e. our) world? Though you are right that the Hermit could be seen as a kind of monk. And gamekeepers could refer to men who had tried to tame wild animals in Narnia's past. I think Silenus' dress is meant to be Greek rather thsn monk-like and he's a bit to pagan/pre-Christian to pass a monk.

Amazing pictures, as always, Hobbit. The way you capture Tumnus' motion and expression is great.
Thank you for the set Happy!!

Born a Daughter of Eve; Now a Daughter of the Second Adam
Swanwhite
Site Admin

Post by Swanwhite » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:17 pm

@ Hobbit I forgot to mention how much I like your drawings. Tumnus's reaction is perfect! And I like the detail of the snow falling of his umbrella. Also the way Edmund is sitting captures his attitude very well.

Ch 3. Edmund and the Wardrobe

Publisher: I like it, but I’m worried that children might shut themselves up in wardrobes by trying to get to this Narnia place.

Lewis: I can fix that.

Pg 7 “...leaving the door open of course because she knew that it was very foolish to shut oneself into any wardrobe.”

Pg 8-9 “She had, of course, left the door open, for she knew that it is a very silly thing to shut oneself into a wardrobe.”

Pg 27 “She did not shut it properly because she knew that it is very silly to shut oneself into a wardrobe even if it is not a magic one.”

Pg 28 “He jumped in and shut the door, forgetting what a very foolish thing this is to do.”

Pg 53 “Peter held the door closed, but did not shut it; for, of course, he remembered, as every sensible person does that you should never shut yourself up in a wardrobe.”
Ajnos
Site Admin

Post by Ajnos » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:49 pm

Apparently Ariel and I are on the same wave-length. We were both struck by the details yesterday and both thought similar thing's about Lucy and her siblings today. I promise I wrote the first bit before I read what Ariel wrote :p

Day 2

Chapter 3: Lucy's Witness
You can't help but feel sorry for Lucy. She's had the most amazing experience but when she tells her siblings, instead of being excited with her, they assume she's just playing or pulling a prank. It gets worse when she tries to prove to them the truth of her story, and the evidence makes it look like she really is lying. As sorry as you feel for Lucy, you can also understand why the siblings find it so hard to accept something they can't see for themselves. This is why Peter and Su hurt her without meaning it (though Edmund, we are told, is more intentionally cruel).

I was thinking that we sometimes go through the same thing when we want to share our faith with others. We have had an experience that was so real to us, but because it doesn't fit with people's understanding of the world (the same way finding a snowy wood in a wardrobe didn't fit with Peter, Susan and Edmund's understanding of the world) it's so very hard to convince them. In time, we might even start to doubt ourselves ("for by this time she was beginning to wonder herself whether Narnia and the Faun had not been a dream").

But we can learn from Lucy's perseverance and the way she stuck to repeating what she knew what to be true even when she was teased for it. ("She could have made it up with the others quite easily at any moment if she could have brought herself to say that the whole thing was only a story made up for fun. But Lucy was a truthful girl and he knew that she was really in the right".)

That's not to say that there aren't times when we do have to be quiet and keep our thoughts to ourselves for the sake of peace (we are not little children playing with our siblings and the real word relationships are more complex). But in the end we must realise that it is only when other people experience the truth for themselves that they will come to believe and accept our story. And even then there reaction might not be what we expect (as happens when Edmund does have an experience of his own).

In some ways this episode is repeated in Prince Caspian when Lucy see's Aslan and the others can't. It must have been somethinh Lewis felt quite strongly about.

Chapter 4 (and 2): Ed and Lu

(This is intended to be hypothetical musings, I wasn't trying to draw out any spiritual significance in this bit)

I was struck by the similarities and differennces between Lucy and Edmund’s first encounters of Narnia. They both meet a potentially dangerous stranger who does not have their best interests at heart. They both accept food from the stranger and are enchanted by magic (music in Lucy’s case, food in Edmund’s). In some ways Lucy is lucky that her would-be captor has a change of heart before he hands her over to the witch. And that made me wonder what would have happened if Edmund had met Tumnus and Lucy had met Jadis on their first trips. I don’t think their roles would have been straighfowardly reversed, however. And the clue to this comes in the difference between their characters.

Lucy is portrayed as innocent and perhaps overly trusting but her heart is pure and she is a “truthful girl”. I think that although she trusted Tumnus more than she should have, she would not have been so easily taken in by Jadis. I think she trusted Tumnus because she saw the potential for goodness in him even before he did. But she would have been sensitive to the Jadis’ true evil nature. The food Tumnus offered her was natural and wholesome, but I imagine she would have been more sceptical of the food Jadis created out of thin air. And even if she had accepted the food and drink I feel like it would not neccesarily have had so powerful an effect on her as it did on Ed. Even if she had eaten enchanted food, I don’t think that would be enough for her to follow Jadis’ instructions to bring her siblings back to Narnia without telling them about her whole encounter.

Conversely, Edmund has a bad nature (at this point of the story). He is “spiteful”, eager to tease Lucy and make her miserable. He’s also less excited by the idea of being in a strange new world than Lucy (“And though he did not like to admit that he had been wrong, he also did not much like being alone in this strange, cold, quiet place.) ”I think that if Edmund had met Tumnus first he would not have done as well as Lucy. For starters, I don’t think he would have been as friendly towards Tumnus as Lucy was. He is polite to Jadis when he learns she is a queen but I can imagine him making fun of Tumnus or being downright rude (think of how he draws on the stone lion in Jadis’ palace). But even if his interaction had been friendly and he had accepted Tumnus’ invitation, Tumnus might not have been as touched as he was by Lucy and might still have handed him over to Jadis. And if Tumnus had still repented and confessed his plans, I can’t imagine Edmund being as forgiving as Lucy was.

So although it seems that Lucy was lucky and Edmund unlucky in who they first met in Narnia, from what we know about their characters, we can’t blame what happens later purely on what happened or didn’t happen during their first visit. They both choose how to respond to their circumstances and that’s what makes the diffetence between them.
Thank you for the set Happy!!

Born a Daughter of Eve; Now a Daughter of the Second Adam

Return to “Summer Challenges”