Summer Challenge Sharing Thread 2017

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Lucy Took, Ajnos, Swanwhite

hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Re: Summer Challenge Sharing Thread 2017

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:50 am

@Ariel (about Digory's hair color): ............... :shock: You are completely right. I'd forgotten about that. What. On. Earth. Over a decade of me imagining him as brown-haired needs to be undone now. Come on, Difory. First Faramir, now you??
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
Ajnos
Site Admin

Post by Ajnos » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:18 am

Here's the list I found. I haven't checked or edited anything so there may be mistakes:

On the beard-colour thing. I know quite a few men with brown hair and red (or redder) beards. There seems to be something that makes the redness show through more in the beards. Never met a man with a golden beard and different coloured hair, though.

Digory: Golden (beard)/White, TLB Ch. 12; LWW Ch. 1
Uncle Andrew: Grey, MN Ch. 1
Lucy: Golden/Fair, LWW Ch. 17; TLB Ch. 4
Susan: Black, LWW Ch. 17 (Shown as light in some pics: eg HHB, pp. 83)
Tumnus: Curly hair, red skin, HHB Ch. 4
Shasta: Fair, HHB Ch. 14
Caspian: Golden, VDT Ch. 1
Trumpkin: Red like a fox, PC Ch. 5
Nikabrik: Black hair & beard, PC Ch. 5
Reep: very dark, almost black, VDT Ch. 1
R.Daughter: Yellow, VDT Ch. 13
Puddleglum: Greeny Grey, SC Ch. 5
Prunaprismia: Red, PC Ch. 4.
Dr. Cornelius Silvery beard, balding in pic PC Ch. 4
Rillian: Fair (my ref. For this is wrong – it says HHB! He must have been blond cause both his parents were and the blond gene is recessive)
Aravis: Dark implied (by “fair barbarians of the North”), HHB Ch. 1
Roonwit: Golden beard, chestnut flanks, TLB Ch. 2
Edmund: In HHB he is described as the “leader of the fair-haired men”, HHB Ch. 4
Thank you for the set Happy!!

Born a Daughter of Eve; Now a Daughter of the Second Adam
Swanwhite
Site Admin

Post by Swanwhite » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:21 pm

gasp.

Well I suppose I must concede.

Of course I imagined him as golden haired in that scene, but I suppose I subconsciously concluded that it was just something that happened to him when he went to Aslan's country. I might continue to hold that as a personal head canon.

It's so easy to disconnect young Digory from the professor. I haven't given much thought to his life in between. I wonder when he started growing a beard. I wonder why he didn't marry Polly.
Ajnos
Site Admin

Post by Ajnos » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:04 pm

I noticed that no one is brown haired in that list (except Roonwit's chestnut flanks). Either Lewis didn't like brown haired characters or thought their hair colour didn't need describing. Although I'm also curious as to whether "fair" always means "blond" as I imagined it or if it can mean light brown (terms liske these are always relative and I imagine can change over time and from place to place). I think I'm going to move the hair colour discussions over to their own thread, but feel free to keep discussing LWW stuff in this thread or sharing any late reflections.

@Swan. I'm more curious as to why Digory didn't marry at all. While it would be sweet if he had married Polly, life doesn't always work out like that so I'm kinda glad they didn't. (Like I didn't end up marrying the guy who drew me the Cair Paravel picture). We know from TLB they did keep contact so I guess that part makes it more curious, especially since there's no reference to her being married either, but I still like the realism of it.
Thank you for the set Happy!!

Born a Daughter of Eve; Now a Daughter of the Second Adam
Benisse
Site Admin

Post by Benisse » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:17 am

Today I was listening to the end of LWW on CD and noticed something I had missed all these years. In Aslan's restoring the stone statues to life, there was a kangaroo that was de-petrified! Somehow I had never thought about talking joeys in Narnia -- ! (It's in the part when everyone is scouring the Witch's castle for statues, before Tumnus is found.)
So here's a little rhyme I made to celebrate this discovery:
Xin Yesu, Xiang Yesu - Believe Jesus, Be like Jesus
LWW art in my avvy and siggy by my daughter
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:30 pm

That poem fits so well, Benisse!
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
narniac101
Contributor