Summer Challenge 2019 - MN Sharing thread

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Lucy Took, Ajnos, Swanwhite

cleander
Novice: Staying with the Beavers

Re: Summer Challenge 2019 - MN Sharing thread

Post by cleander » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:29 am

The wood between the worlds was probably one of my all-time favorite scenes in Narnia. Lewis has such a gift for capturing the vibe and essence of his environments, not just the appearance. It makes me think of the deep peace of God, presiding over all worlds. In a way the Wood is superior to all the worlds- it has no chaos, strife or worries. All that happens there is the growth of trees; nothing but oblivious development. It is, in a sense, a perfect world. That's kind of sad, when you think that it only seems that way compared to the other three worlds we visit, and that to seem perfect it has to be an almost empty world.
It's also nice to imagine that the other pools could possibly lead to any other existing fantasy universe, indirectly making them part of the Narnia universe! :shock:

Digory demonstrates in Chapter four what I was thinking about in chapter two. It's not just the high and mighty who have this problem of imagining themselves above reason or law. Even seemingly nice people aren't invulnerable to it.
Random note- I always wonder about the appearance of the monster-fountain in the courtyard. I keep imagining a sort of grotesque gryphon, but other than the wings, I have no reason to think this.
Again, Lewis shows how good he is at capturing atmosphere. You can really sense the coldness and desolation of Charn, yet at the same time, I always get a slight adrenaline rush of when the kids explore the palace (even though I practically have this book memorized :lol: )
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:20 am

I like those diary entries, Ajjie! I think my favourite bit was Uncle Andrew’s indignation over risking Polly’s life after all the risks he’d taken just to get here. :P And thanks for the fun bits of Afrikaans! I find the translations amusing.

Cleander, I hadn’t thought of the Wood as being a “perfect world” (after all, nothing’s there but trees and grass and water). Your remark about its perfection being because of its emptiness stood out, though: it’s because there’s no sin to disturb the perfect order (until Polly and Digory show up).

Chapters three and four continue with the sense of curiosity and the similarities between Digory and Uncle Andrew.

Polly, thankfully, displays caution. Even though she’s just as game (or at least nearly so) as Digory in exploring, she’s careful enough to set up as many safeguards as she can think of before wandering into uncharted territory (checking that they actually can return home, making sure they mark the pool, pointing out dangers posed by crumbling architecture, and for goodness’ sake don’t touch the bell!). And (though maybe I’m reading into it some because I’m this way) she’s got an appreciation for art: she’s a writer (and likely a reader) in chapter two, and now here in chapter four, she checks out the fashion of Charn’s royalty.
Digory is more than ready to gobble up new information, and I think he shows a more intellectual interest in exploring: he reasons out the probability of other worlds via the pools, he wants to discover Charn’s history, and he studies the faces (and by them, the personalities) of the royals.

As for Digory showing some of his inner Uncle Andrew... well, he doesn’t seem too keen on listening to arguments, for one. (Part of that could be chalked up to being eager to get on with exploring, but he interrupts Polly a few times and quarrels with her.)
Perhaps more significantly, though, is his (maybe?) attunement to magic. Sure, the kids have accepted the magic of the rings and the wood and Charn (probably). But I do wonder if Digory could really feel the magic. Besides Polly’s accusation (and Aslan’s later confirmation) that Digory was just putting on a show of being caught in the magic of the bell, Digory claims to have been able to feel the magic in this place ever since their arrival... but Lewis never mentioned it. Is that because the feeling of magic can be taken for granted, or was Digory just saying that to appear wiser on the matter? Maybe, like Uncle Andrew, he doesn’t get what it is he’s dealing with, but is pretending to. Or maybe he really does have some kind of spidey sense for magic, like the tingly feeling Uncle Andrew had when he first touched the Atlantean box. Either way... both of them are driven by their curiosity to know more and to claim to understand more than they really do. (And I wonder if Uncle Andrew saw something of himself in Digory, hence previous attempts to talk to him and then lsharing his whole backstory.)

Sometimes I wonder if Digory would have been driven mad over not ringing the bell. I mean, it’s a very different sort of place and situation from the ordinary. And with the way Digory’s mind seems to work, it wouldn’t surprise me if he’d have thought about it later in life. On the other hand... how is it much different from anything else in life? How many “what-ifs” do we think about and on how many levels of importance? All the pillar does is bring to the forefront of your mind, “But what if you wonder ‘what-if’?” Magic or not, I think Polly was on to something with ignoring that clause: it’ll only drive you mad if you dwell on it, and no poem can make you do so.

On a completely different note, I want to know about Charnian architecture. Lewis gives us “lots of windows” and “monster fountains” and “pillars and arches” and “occasional doors of gold and ebony”, but I’d really like more. (So... Netflix, get a move on making them movies! lol)
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
kristi
Site Admin

Post by kristi » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:19 am

Perch's reconstruction of Charn before and after Jadis spoke the Deplorable Word.

hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:00 pm

Hi guys! Sorry I'm late (I thought at first that I was woefully late, but then I realized my time zone is half a day ahead of most of the TLCers). I'm hoping to catch up within the next couple of days, but we'll see what happens.
I did read everyone's thoughts on the first two chapters but don't have much to comment other than that I too am always, always amazed at how new Narnia is every time you take a break. Last year was the first time since I was 7, I believe, that I didn't read through the entire Narnia series. It also happened to be a year during which I had a lot of difficult emotions, self-discovery, and a bit of a wake-up to the adult world. (These two things together, incidentally, are a good part of the reason I wasn't on TLC as much for a spell.) As a result, the effects of coming back to Narnia again are exponentially greater than they have ever been (barring, of course, the time I first read them), and it is such an experience.

Also a comment of my own (I had many but I only felt that one was really interesting enough to mention here): I never noticed it before, but there are such a wide range of protagonists in the Chronicles. (I originally saw it as I was thinking about the female protags, but then I realized it works for the boys too.) I mean, think about the differences between Polly, Lucy, Jill, Susan, and Aravis. You might know someone like each of these, or you'll relate to some of them but not to others, and probably for different reasons for each. I'm more like Lucy and Jill than the others; Susan and Polly are quite like my sister (especially Polly). These kids are so varied. C.S. Lewis's writing is definitely goals.

As usual, I bring drawings (these are for chapters 1 and 2).
It's....been so long since I posted art in the forums that I have rather forgotten the rules on image sizes; I hope these aren't too large.
Please don't count on the same style or level of shading detail for the rest of the challenge, by the way...today I had the whole afternoon free, which is why I could do these first two this way. I can't guarantee the rest will be like this, though who knows, maybe they will.
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
Swanwhite
Site Admin

Post by Swanwhite » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:53 pm

I'm so glad you've joined Hobbit! It's good to have your company, and I love your artwork :) I like the way Digory is trying to move U. Andrew's hand from his shoulder.

I'm enjoying everyone's reflections a lot.

Glad you picked up on the C. S. Lewis quote reference, Cleander :) And excellent points about the dangers of considering yourself an exception to the rules.

Curiousity is such a driving force here, Ariel :) It's almost a mystery story, and definitely an exploration story. Secret passage ways, new worlds.

I like your haikus Kristi :) It really would be neat to have a compilation of all the chronicles in haiku form.

And to Perch's comment, I really had never thought about how Uncle Andrew wanted the Guinea pig to talk! That is very funny in hindsight. Oh and Charn looks awesome! :)

I've gone back and edited in a sketch/quote of Digory to my Ch. 2 reflection.

Chapter 3.

When Kristi and I looked through the storyboards to that unmade Magician's Nephew film, we talked about the added character of the fish maybe going on its own adventures :) I've had a crack at writing that now.
If I swim straight ahead I hit glass, but a gentle curve and I can keep going forever. Now even if I stop swimming, I’ll keep going, drifting turning with the current I made. The life of a goldfish in a laboratory flask is not without its downsides.

The mad magician has been attempting some rather terrifying things. Not so much terrifying on his part, but certainly for his subjects. My friend Basil, the last of the guinea pigs, vanished a few nights ago. It’s down to me now, and perhaps the mouse that lives in the wall. He may yet live to tell our story.

My oh my, more humans! But rather smaller and pleasanter ones. Escape while you can! Dear oh dear… there goes the first one. But it sounds as if there may be some means of return. Perhaps Basil is free in this other place. It must be better than here. Take me with you small human! I wonder, I wonder... He’s gone now.

Here now I’m set on a stool beside the table with the red wooden tray. I charge the glass to edge myself closer to the edge of the tray. I can hear them ringing softly. The two small humans blur into view, but they’re gone again now. All of a sudden they’re back with a gigantic lady among them! The table is jostled. The rings shift. The pair of green and yellow, closest to the corner slip off the tray entirely, and into my waiting flask. The green one knocks my head and falls to the bottom of the flask without effect. The yellow one however…

The world transforms about me, as my laboratory flask and I tumble through dimensions. I am swimming among the stars. My flask and I bob to the surface in a place greener and gooder than I could ever imagine.

“Hullo, I fancy we’ve met,” a snuffly voice comments peacefully.

“Basil!”

Chapter 4.

You are a member of the royal line.
Your legacy will last in wax until
the sun is red and dead
and our pool in the wood is dry.

Your face will tell a story
to whoever may still see
so as you choose to live your life
what will that story be?
Ajnos
Site Admin

Post by Ajnos » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:29 pm

I got today's reading done but was behind in my lecture prep so haven't written the reflection yet. I have bible study tomorrow night so may not catch up till the weekend.

In the meantime, my responses to your reflections so far (back to day 1)

Cleander: It's really great to have you joining us. Most of us have been doing this for years so its really nice to have someone new. I really like your points about how people (and we are not immune) have a tendency to see themselves above the law for one reason or another. It's very prevalent among politicians in my country and I believe in many others too. But it is part of the human condition (in a fallen world) and I like how Lewis shows the danger of it, the hypocrisy it is to those looking from the outside and how it can happen to anyone (Digory as much as Andrew and Jadis).

Ariel: I like your thoughts on curiosity and especially how it can have both good and bad consequences. I think the answer to whether Digory would have been driven mad by not ringing the bell is "no". It certainly might have plagued him from time to time and sometimes it might have been worse than others. But it seems to me that he exaggerates to himself the power of what not knowing would have done to him. As you said, we all experience "what ifs" and sometimes they plague us more than other times, but generally we can move on and continue with life with just the odd time of wondering now and again. I think the promise in the Bible that we won't be tempted more than we can bear includes that we will be given peace when we resist temptation.

Kristi: I love your Haikus as usual. As someone who (as you can see) struggles to keep her thoughts short and concise I really marvel the way you can capture the essence of a chapter in so few words.
Thank you for the set Happy!!

Born a Daughter of Eve; Now a Daughter of the Second Adam
Swanwhite
Site Admin

Post by Swanwhite » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:35 pm

Chapter 5.

In Charn she could turn people into dust.
In Narnia she turned them to stone.
I wonder what she would have turned people into on earth if she’d stayed long enough to figure something out?

I'm also struck by how much of her characteristics and ideology she has in common with Uncle Andrew. Her backstory monologue has some similarities to his a few chapters back. These similarities make her a fitting punishment for Andrew in the next chapter.

Chapter 6.

The Beginning of Uncle Andrew’s troubles

Handy brandy,
dandy Andy,
some smug humbug
till she comes.

Broke and choking
So provoking!
“Regrettable violence-”
mum and numb.

Knave, slave,
fool, tool,
turfless serf
beneath her thumb.
cleander
Novice: Staying with the Beavers

Post by cleander » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:28 pm

I was trying, in keeping with the prevailing artistic spirit of this thread, to think of a bit of poetry for these chapters, but I find it difficult to do so because I haven't had a shower yet. (Really good creative thoughts apparently only come when I'm hot and wet.) But I shall have a go at it:

The land of Charn was great and strong,
The year before its dire fall.
Its heart was cruel, its arm was long,
Its pillars firm, its towers tall.

But Taranvar the emperor died,
And gasped his last upon a stair.
A hireling's dagger in his side,
Sent to him by his own heir.

His death began a civil war,
The like of which was never seen.
For both his daughters battled for
The throne and scepter of the Queen.

Before the sword of war was drawn,
The vows of battle both they took,
Beside the Altars of the Dawn,
Their magic powers both forsook.

Three hundred thousand warrior-souls,
The sisters threw into the fight.
The bells in every tower tolled,
Appealing to the gods by night.

The younger sister scorned her oaths,
With spells she gained the upper hand.
She led to her force to Acranoath,
Where her rival took her stand.

She reached the shrine of Gathrasteen,
Where on the steps her sister stood,
"My vict'ry can be clearly seen!
Your reign is over now- for good!"

So the victor hailed her foe,
But she in all her glowing pride,
Did not her sister's secret know:
Of power from the darker side.

Then Jadis, elder of the two,
Replied in calm and icy voice:
"The vict'ry's won, you've spoken true!
But it is I who shall rejoice!"

And as her sister's soldiers rushed,
She uttered but a single word;
At once the world of Charn was hushed,
And not another sound was heard.

At last the world was at her feet,
For all beneath her feet were dead:
In ancient halls she took her seat,
Where living foot would never tread.

But in these halls she wove a spell,
That she in darkness long would sleep,
Until some hand will strike the bell
Which hangs inside her mighty keep.

"Make your choice, adventurous stranger,
Strike the bell, and bide the danger,
Or wonder, 'till it drives you mad,
What would have followed, if you had..."

Ok, that took a while. Anyway this is my idea what might be written on other portions of the bell-stand in the hall; other verses leading up to the limerick Digory and Polly read. Which is why I had to make up some names and stuff. Though I'm not sure who could have written this besides Jadis herself.
And I seemed to be drained of any deep observations on these chapters right now, so I'm gonna leave it at that.
Swanwhite
Site Admin

Post by Swanwhite » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:25 am

I love the poem Cleander! It's a great expansion on the story!
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:06 am

@Swan: Loved your poems for chapters 4 and 6! (Though I think you mean "serf", not "surf"?) *snickers* Dandy Andy.... Oh, yeah, and the fish! We finally have fanfiction about the fish!

@Ajjie: Ah, yes. "Plagued" but not "mad". That's a necessary distinction.

@Kristi: Do tell Perch that his representation of Charn was cool!

@Cleander: Okay, whoa, that poem was good stuff! The names you made up feel like they fit too.

@Hobbit: :o :shock: ... Again, I'm flabbergasted by your talent. Especially with the one of Uncle Andrew and Digory. Their expressions! Andrew's wild hair and eyes! Andrew's dynamic pose! Digory's palpable cringe! Even the shading on Andrew's hand!

My reflection today is shorter 'cause curiosity is out the window and there's not much in the way of comparing Digory to Uncle Andrew. Nah, we've left curiosity far behind (even Digory is officially done with Charn and maybe wishing he didn't know as much as he did). We've taken a hard left into the territory of pride.

As mentioned already (sorry, don't remember who said it), Jadis' story bears some resemblance to Uncle Andrew's... just so much bigger. She's made sacrifices to get to where she is now. She doesn't care about who or what is affected, so long as she meets her own objectives. And, as was made explicitly obvious, they both believe they're above the rules for "common people" and that theirs is a "high and lonely destiny". They are both just so full of themselves. Ick.
Speaking of being full of themselves, they both think they're reached the apex of their respective societies and should be revered as such (though Jadis also has the advantage of being royalty), they both think they're mighty good-looking (in Jadis' defence, she really is).... (By the way, I find Uncle Andrew's dressing up amusing.)

I've wondered before, but I'm still wondering now: Just how reliable is Jadis' account of events? Hmmmmm....

Thanks to Cleander's comment about the perfection of the Wood Between the Worlds and my subsequent thought about it being sinless, I wonder if that's what eats at Jadis whenever she's there. She just withers in the Wood. Maybe because she is evil personified (as far as the Chronicles go), she is rendered completely helpless in a perfect and otherwise sinless environment.

I don't think I've really thought about this before, but I think each world has its own rules for magic. Jadis is obviously proficient in her own world, but can't do anything magical in ours (or rather, doesn't have the chance to learn our-world magic and adapt), and then in Narnia, she requires a wand.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"

Return to “Summer Challenges”