Summer Challenge 2019 - MN Sharing thread

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Lucy Took, Ajnos, Swanwhite

Ajnos
Site Admin

Summer Challenge 2019 - MN Sharing thread

Post by Ajnos » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:19 am

On Mon 15 July, we will open this thread so you can share your reflections on the reading for each day.

The readings for each day will be as follows:
Mon 15 July - Chapters 1-2
Tue 16 July - Chapters 3-4
Wed 17 July - Chapters 5-6
Thur 18 July - Chapters 7-8
Fri 19 July - Chapters 9-10
Sat 20 July - Chapters 11-12
Sun 21 July - Rest/catch up
Mon 22 July - Chapters 13-14
Tue 23 July - Chapters 15 (and round-up)
Thank you for the set Happy!!

Born a Daughter of Eve; Now a Daughter of the Second Adam
Swanwhite
Site Admin

Re: Summer Challenge 2019 - MN Sharing thread

Post by Swanwhite » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:36 pm

Chapter 1.

Digory Kirke makes mudpies and cries; neither understanding nor expecting the soon-to-come offer of a holiday in another world.

How lucky for that gang of desperate criminals that Polly and Digory went to Narnia instead!

Polly the brave,
founder of the smuggler’s cave
“I’m game if you are!”
“I’m game!” again.

Chapter 2.
The door is unlocked
but decency drives me to stay
I’m tired of talk
and the ring is the only right way.

cleander
Novice: Staying with the Beavers

Post by cleander » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:11 pm

^ Like the reference to the C.S. Lewis quote!

What stuck out to me in this chapter is that there are a lot of Uncle Andrews in the world. Some scientists and politicians think they are above truth or mercy; various groups, both political and religious, think that they're not accountable to the same standard as everyone else. I guess it's an easy trap to get caught in, thinking that what makes you unique, whether it be your affiliations, accomplishments or abilities, also puts you above the laws of morality. (I think that's something we all wrestle with, btw; I'm just saying some people take it further than others, to the point of believing and practicing it-on a very large scale.)
I like that Digory sees through the grand, dramatic wrappings of his uncle's statement and simplifies it so bluntly- "All it means is that he thinks he can anything he wants to get anything he likes." That sums it up nicely.
And who doesn't want to punch Uncle Andrew's head by the end of the second chapter? :lol:
Ajnos
Site Admin

Post by Ajnos » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:13 pm

Nice thoughts and poemlets, Swan. It is rather tantalsing not knowing what’s in the empty house. The gang of theives were rather lucky.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I'm reading the Afrikaans translation (Die Towenaar se Neef). It seems quite well done so far (has a nice natural tone to it as far as I can tell). I'll tell you about any interesting things I discover about the translation. Luckily the words for green and right are “groen” and “regte”, so Uncle A's GR mnemonic still works. That must be tricky in some languages. Also, the word they use for guinea-pig is literally “little-proof-animal”.

After we did the last MN summer challenge I had an idea to write a series of journal entries telling the story from Uncle A’s point of view. Going to try do that this time. I've done the entries for chapter 1+2 but our power went out while I was working on it (luckily my laptop was fully charged). I'll post them in the morning.

Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:58 am

Great insight, cleander!

As with every time I re-read any of the Narnia books, something that I’ve always known just seems to impress itself upon me as if it were brand-new information. This time, chapters one and two book down to a single word: curiosity.

The book starts with Polly so I don’t see why I shouldn’t do so as well. Having had plenty of alone-time as a child and being an avid reader, I have some connection to Polly (that I hadn’t much thought of before). In particular, she has a fascination with story. Besides writing one, she fancies interesting stories for Mr Ketterley and the empty house.
Digory, I think, is a little more hands-on. His curiosity is more of the active, exploring type (not that Polly doesn’t engage in that herself). Perhaps it helps that he grew up in the country and had whole swaths of nature to explore.
Both children have an innocent persecutive of the world and and interest in knowing more.

Enter Uncle Andrew. I don’t think I’ve ever considered him in light of the usually positive trait of curiosity. Perhaps because we have the benefit of knowing that he’s not exactly the most up-and-up kind of guy, whereas he has spent years justifying his curiosity. He has deceived himself into believing that he’s not so bad (“a high and lonely destiny”, the shock at Digory comparing him to a fairy tale baddie). He’s not so terribly unlike the kids: a forbidden something to explore, the tingle of excitement, the wonder of discovery, the journey to a grand solution. Digory could very well end up like him, given time. Andrew is a cautionary tale: curiosity of itself is not a bad thing, but what grabs your interest and what you do about it could lead you down a dark and dangerous path.

Speaking of Digory’s potential to become an “Uncle Andrew” himself... it struck me that Andrew would try to speak to him. Andrew is not, of course, fond of children (just look at the way he treats Polly and Digory!). He’s clearly pretty secretive about his work (gotta wonder how much or how little Aunt Letty knows...?). So why does he try to talk to Digory? Is he hoping to get Digory to make the trip solo? Or is he hoping to bring Digory into the big secrets of magic as an apprentice? Maybe be a sort of sorta-nurturing mentor in that field, like he never had with Lefay?

Also, has anyone else noticed how ready Digory and Andrew are to just spill their stories? Andrew makes sense, but maybe I’m forgetting my childhood... how many kids are cool with just spilling out their guts to a kid they’ve never met till two minutes ago? Maybe I simply don’t understand because I never had the same experiences.

Also also, I wonder what drove Digory to poke his head over the garden wall? Was Polly making noise? What kind? Or was he just looking for new scenery?

Also, also, ALSO... I really wanna know what’s up with that empty house. Maybe it’s because of a silly little fanfic I wrote once, but I’m entertaining the idea that Andrew is responsible for the vacancy....
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
kristi
Site Admin

Post by kristi » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:04 am

Fun. Like the poems Swan. Perch laughed at the "little proof animal."

I figure if I do enough Summer Challenges I will eventually get the whole of the Chronicles written out in haiku. Here's a start:

In between houses
Two children choose the wrong door.
Polly disappears.

A horrible trick.
Will Digory follow her?
He slips on a ring.

(I still want Swan to return to and expand on her story about Sherlock Holmes investigating the fight at the lamppost.)

Perch is trying to write some short paragraphs about chapters 1 & 2 while we read.
kristi
Site Admin

Post by kristi » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:49 am

Perch's Notes

Chapter 1
There was a boy named Digory. He met his neighbor Polly. Polly thought that he was blubbing.

They found the entry in Polly's attic and tried to get to the other houses.

Chapter 2

Uncle Andrew tricked Polly into touching a magic ring. Polly ended up disappearing in Chapter 1 so Digory ended up going after her.

Uncle Andrew's first try on his experiment was on a guinea pig. Then he wished guinea pigs talked.

:) :)
Ajnos
Site Admin

Post by Ajnos » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:53 am

@Perch: I thought it was interesting that Uncle Andrew wanted the guinea-pigs to talk (given what happens later in the book). I made a little joke about that in my reflection.

Chapters 1-2
(Confession: Much of Entry 2 was written in 2013 when I first came up with this idea.)

A Magician’s Journal
Being The Record of Achievements of the Most Estimable Andrew Ketterley [title yet to be conferred]
Entry 1
After years of toil and great expense to my resources and health, I am on the verge of the greatest breakthrough this world has seen! I say "this world" because I have almost incontrovertible proof that there are other worlds. And not only that – I have found the means of getting there.

I was bequeathed a most valuable gift by my late godmother, Mrs Lefay (God rest her soul). I knew the moment I held it, that it was from one of the most ancient civilisations. Through diligent research, and deliberations with some of the greatest experts in the field, I concluded that the box itself was a relic of the great civilisation of Atlantis. And that the dust contained therein was from another world.

The world from which this dust originates is not another planet in our universe – one a person could travel to if they had the right equipment – but a world beyond our universe. It is a world that can only be reached through the subtlest of magic arts. Using this other-worldly dust, I have devised a means by which a creature in our world can be transported to the very world from which the substance originates.

I am very close to proving the validity of my experiments. Early trials required slight modifications and, alas, I suffered losses. I had bought the guinea-pigs with my very own money and would have been most sorry for the waste had it not brought me closer to the final solution.

Today, I tested the final device – a small yellow ring – on my one remaining subject, and the creature vanished completely from my sight. There was no explosion, no residue, nothing to indicate that the guinea-pig had suffered any harm. It was simply there one instant and gone the next.

I can only conclude that it is no longer in our world. And, therefore, it must be in that Other World.

Now, if only I had a means of bringing the creature back and of it telling me what it saw there. I have already devised the means for return (a corresponding ring coloured green, so there should be no confusion). But I had no way of communicating to the guinea-pig what needed to be done. And even if it could come back, it has no means of communicating with me. (Not even by magic can animals communicate with men).

And so I must have a human subject. Finding a willing participant could be quite difficult. As is the lot with all great discoverers, most people would laugh my findings off as the work of a madman. But as luck would have it, I have just the candidate currently living under my own roof.

The fortunate timing of my dear sister’s retirement to my house due to ill health – just at the start of the summer holidays – could not have been better planned. For she has a son, a young boy. This boy will be the perfect subject. He may be curious and willing to go of his own accord, but if not, he will not disobey a man of my standing – and his own uncle.

All that stands now in the way of my progress is my other tiresome sister, Letitia. I have told Letitia very little of my discoveries – they are beyond the understanding of most women – but she suspects that I have been planning something big and will not let me get near the boy. Even when I try to speak to him, she cuts me off or sends him away. If only I could get him by himself, I could complete the experiment and have irrefutable evidence for all my hard work!

It looks as though we are in for some miserable weather. The boy will be forced to spend more time indoors. And then, when Letitia has let down her guard, I will get my opportunity!

Entry 2:
All the stars have aligned for my greatest good fortune. Today I acquired not one, but two human subjects with which to test my rings. It is clear that I will be known as the Greatest Magician of all time.

It happened like this: I was sitting in my study, pondering how I might corner the boy, when out of the blue, I heard muted voices and a rattle, as of a latch, followed by a creaking noise coming from the far side of the study where there was a small maintenance hatch. At first, I suspected burglars, and was considering what enchantment I could use to defend myself, when suddenly one of the intruders spoke.

It was the voice of a girl, followed shortly by the voice of a boy, a voice I knew well. None other, in fact, than the voice of my nephew. I heard he had made friends with the girl in the next house. What brought them into my office, I cannot say, but it seemed that they were not expecting to find me here. I acted quickly; not wanting to miss the opportunity chance had granted me.

I stood up; knowing surprise was my best advantage. The children were indeed surprised to see me there and I acted quickly and firmly so that they would not hesitate to cooperate with the experiment. I thought it best not to reveal my I plan, and in that my wisdom was rewarded. I also made sure to lock the study door, lest either child attempt to flee. Even then, I had to keep my wits about me, as the young girl insisted that she need to leave at once for dinner.

To be sure, this was a lie. I doubt her parents would even have missed her, but it put an idea into my mind. I allowed them to beg. They promised to return immediately after the meal. (Huh! Did they think to insult my intelligence?) I remained calm, however, and stuck with the plan. I pretended to give in and allowed that the girl could return home. I also made use of my fine-tuned gift of persuasion. I softened the girl by suggesting that children like them would find no entertainment in the company of an old man like me and hinted how lonely I become sitting all day in my office. The life of the wise is indeed one of loneliness.

And then I baited her. Pretending to let her leave, I offered her one of the rings as a parting gift. Thankfully, the young girl had not been spoiled by her parents and told not to accept gifts from strangers. Though I think the allure of the rings itself would have convinced her to accept the offer regardless. And I may have used a simple magic trick of the will to convince her that I only wished her well. The will of man, and especially of a child, is so easy to bend to your own when you know how; and the right words said in the right manner have much effect. There was little chance she would refuse.

I made sure she selected a yellow, and at last my wait was rewarded. There was a tense moment when she remarked that the she could hear the rings humming and the boy began to suspect, even shouting out to her to stop. But it was too late. She had simply to touch the ring and vanished completely from my office.

The most dangerous moment was when the boy shouted out, but I shut him up quickly by reminding him of his mother’s illness. I proceeded to explain to the boy the great project on which I had been working. It was too much for him to fully appreciate the significance, and he kept harping on about how I had put the girl at risk. (How dare he speak to me of risks? The things I have sacrificed to get this far!) But I played on his sense of chivalry to convince him that it was up to him to rescue the girl. I knew he would assent and, with a little coaxing, I succeeded. He agreed to take the green rings to rescue the girl.

That was but minutes ago. Now I wait for their return. Hopefully it will be soon.

Wait!?… What’s that… I see something now…

They are returning… They are still faint but becoming clearer as though into focus… No!… Wait! They are vanishing again. Something is wrong! The green rings are not strong enough to draw them back into this world. What is happening?...

Ajnos
Site Admin

Post by Ajnos » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:51 pm

Appologies for the double post.

Chapters 3-4

Uncle Andrew doesn’t feature in today’s reading and isn’t privy to what happens so I’ve put his journal on hold and will just make some general observations.

A fun thing about Afrikaans is that it uses “intensive forms” of adjectives (like blood-red, pitch-black and stone-cold) much more than English. I noticed quite a number in Chapter 3, so I’ll list a few. They sound fun/funny to us, but remember these are normal everyday idioms to Afrikaans readers, like the English examples I just gave.

– When Digory is in the pool, he sees a green light above and “choking-darkness” below.

– When Digory emerges from the pool, he finds his clothes are “cork-dry”

– When they first see the guinea-pig, he’s described as a “bacon-fat” guinea-pig (or “bacon-fat little-proof-animal”)

– They decide to leave the guinea-pig behind because he’s “dead-happy” there (“dead” is used as an intensive form for a bunch of adjectives so it’s not as odd as it sounds and really just means “extremely”)

– When Digory and Polly realise that they nearly left the pool to our world without marking it, they turn “dead-pale” (the English says “quite white”)

Something else I noticed reading these chapters is how much insight Lewis has into human emotions and behaviour. Even from the earlier chapters, he describes really well the children’s tension between desire for adventure and genuine fear of the unknown. It’s also interesting how they are continually trying to hide their fear from each other, especially when they say “I’m game if you're game” (an expression that unfortunately doesn’t work in Afrikaans where they just translate it “I’ll do it if you will”).

The tension between adventure and fear is different in the two children. Polly is the more practical (we’re told she’s quite brave about things like wasps - called “horse-bees” in the Afrikaans) but not about things that are unknown. Digory is the more foolhardy wanting “to know everything”, but we know that he does experience genuine fear at the thought of having to go rescue Polly in an unknown world he might not return from.

It’s also interesting that they are genuinely nervous (though nervously excited) about trying a new pool. They have a nasty row (which Lewis thinks is not necessary to spell out) before trying the new pool the first time and then stand there with “beating hearts and rather scared faces”. The second time – when they have switched to the right rings – it says that they are less afraid because they half think that it won’t work.

I kind of like the fact that the heroes of the story are shown to be normal children with curiosity but also fear. I think it’s something we see with most characters throughout the books but for some reason it particularly stuck out to me here. They really are just two children navigating there way through the circumstances life throws at them. (Maybe it’s more noticeable outside of the heroic setting of Narnia we have most of the rest of the time).

The difference between the two children’s attitudes to the tension between (adventurous) curiosity and (practical) fear reaches its climax at the end of Chapter 4 where Digory is unable to control his curiosity and can think of nothing else but taking the risk of ringing the bell. While Polly can think only of the potential danger. Her view is that it is better to be safe than suffer consequences of risk. Whereas Digory believes it is better to take the risk than live with the uncertainty of what could have been.

Digory’s horrible behaviour that scene also show’s Lewis’ understanding of human behaviour. He shows how (what till now has been depicted as) a brave, honest boy can do some really nasty things when he lets his own will and selfishness control his actions at the expense of others. He’s already shown us what harm nasty selfish boys can cause with LWW-Edmund and VDT-Eustace but they both start out bad and are redeemed. Digory starts out looking like a good guy which shows that everyone is capable of harm when they put their own selfish desires ahead of others. The way he is compared to Uncle Andrew in that scene is especially powerful because he was standing up to Andrew just a chapter before.

kristi
Site Admin

Post by kristi » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:15 am

Here's today's haikus. I'll have to read your reflections and comment later Ajjie.

A lazy wood. Grass grows.
Memory stirs just enough.
They try a new pool.

A red sun draws down.
They should go. He stops, entranced?
He strikes once, sharply.

Return to “Summer Challenges”