Summer Challenge 2020 - LWW Sharing thread

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Lucy Took, Ajnos, Swanwhite

Swanwhite
Site Admin

Re: Summer Challenge 2020 - LWW Sharing thread

Post by Swanwhite » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:56 pm

@Ajnos I love the reenactment of Witch's Sledge!

@Ariel Excellent observation! I think the hollowness of pleasure for pleasure's sake, or the false promises of sinful pleasure, is one of the key themes in the book.

@Ren All your drawings are great! I especially appreciate the silhouette of Aslan and Edmund.

@Cleander I'm glad you've joined in! That's so cool about the animal symbolism. I didn't know that and it adds another layer to the story. Love the poem too! My first foray into writing poetry was based on the prophecies the Beavers' talk about, but you've done a much better job of it here!

Another thought I had about the restoration of the statues was how good a picture it is of mission or evangelism. Everyone who is saved gets to take part in finding other statues, but it's Aslan who really does the saving. He doesn't need our help exactly, but he gives us a part to play.
Ajnos
Site Admin

Post by Ajnos » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:04 pm

Just finished reading the last chapter!! Hurrah!!

As others have said, I'd forgotten how beautiful the book is, in terms of language, description, character and message. Because it's the best known and the most often repeated, I tend to think of it as less interesting but that really does it a great disservice.

@Cleander. Great to have you join us for the home-straight. I love your long version of the prophesy. That is just the kind if way folk rhymes pass down till just snatches are remembered.

@Swan. I like the evangelism image with the statues helping to "find each other"

Hmm...looks like I forgot to his "submit" on the post I wrote yesterday (it was late and I was tired but waiting for my lecture videos to upload. It was kinda rambly but I'll have to see if I can remember what I said when I'm more awake.

A few thoughts on Ch 15 for now:
I'm always surprised at just how huge Rumblebuffin is. For a moment I was wondering why Susan was more afraid of him than the lion (She was the one who asked if Aslan was safe). But the scene with Lucy and the handkerchief and how Aslan has to stretch up to talk to him, I'm less suprised at her fear.

I also love the romp scene. The one in PC is more noticeable, but this is just as fun. And here we see that they really are still animals for all the odd anthropomorphic bits. I also noticed in the earlier romp with Susan and Lucy, Aslan had no qualms about rolling in the grass. And then you get high and mighty Bree who thinks it isn't proper for horses to do the same :D

Chapter 16:
"Shaking hands". I also find that hard to imagine. I mean, you can shake a cat or dog's paw, but it doesn't seem like the same thing as a congratulating handshake.

There's a lot that's great in this chapter but the sudden inclusion of the merfolk is one that struck me this time. Of course they couldn't be part of the battle, but I love how they're part of the celebration,

Last question (for now). Maybe I was distracted at the time and missed it, but I've been thinking about it since Chapter 2 and didn't notice it. Are we actually told anywhere in this book that the Winter lasted 100 years?
Thank you for the set Happy!!

Born a Daughter of Eve; Now a Daughter of the Second Adam
Swanwhite
Site Admin

Post by Swanwhite » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:06 am

Chapter 17

Some of the things I noticed was how foreboding their approach to the wardrobe feels and how Susan is still the cautious one. She's the most reluctant to enter Narnia and the most reluctant to leave. I think she struggles with change which I can relate to.
There's something jarring about the sudden return to England and childhood, but I think that after the first surprise it wasn't as jarring for the Pevensies as one might imagine. It seems that they instantly returned to the memories and identity (excepting some personal growth) that they had before entering the wardrobe. It's more like waking from a dream than actual adults being transformed back into children. Both worlds and experiences are real, but Lewis makes the transition convenient.

"And that is the very end of the adventures of the wardrobe. But if the Professor was right it was only the beginning of the adventures of Narnia."
White Stag.jpg
White Stag.jpg (174.46 KiB) Viewed 4734 times
renegadeoftheshire
Novice: Staying with the Beavers

Post by renegadeoftheshire » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:07 pm

Wow! @Swan, that stag is amazing!! :o
Sorry that I'm a day late. But here is my last drawing for this challenge :D
Attachments
IMG_2398.JPG
IMG_2398.JPG (74.29 KiB) Viewed 4728 times
art by an online friend!
cleander

Post by cleander » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:58 am

@renegade: Love all the movie-inspired art!
Swanwhite, I agree with you, Susan seems to get quite settled into each reality she lives in- to the point she's reluctant to leave or accept another. Ironic that later in life she would be skeptical about the same world she was so skeptical about leaving.
Another note regarding animal symbolism: the White Stag is from ancient Indo-European mythology and is thought to be a manifestation of Otherworld (quite appropriately for a Narnia story) and adventure. Finnish myths portray it as a minion of the Queen of the Underworld ( :o ) which would lead its hunters to their deaths. [Btw, since albinos are a thing, a real life White Stag almost definitely exists out there!]

Seems my internal poetry machine isn't running just yet. We'll see what I can come up with later.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:44 am

@Swan: I like that evangelism angle to the statues!
Seems like everyone has a different idea of what it was like for the kids to return from Narnia. I like the "waking from a dream" thought: it perfectly describes how they seamlessly fit right back into this world.
Love your stag!

@Ajjie: Your observation on Aslan and Bree rolling... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Uh.... We must have been told a hundred years at some point, yes? I can't for the life remember where that might be?

@Ren: I particularly like the way you did Susan on that one.

Starting off with sets for day 8. (And yes, I'm fully aware that I did the poem backward.)
ImageImage
ImageImage

Chapter 17
The little exchange between Aslan and Lucy regarding the wounded... that's a hard lesson. I totally get that Lucy wants to stay to ensure that the cordial does its work on Edmund, so I understand when she tells Aslan to wait. But Aslan reminds her that others need help, and may even be on the brink of death themselves. Would she sacrifice them for Edmund? But not only is this a practical lesson, to be applied down the road, but a lesson in trust: she has done what she can, and must continue to do so, whether or not she witnesses the miracle herself.
Like Ajjie, something about the merfolk struck me. Not their sudden appearance, but the fact that they're Narnian citizens. They've got a great, wide ocean and the chance to be their own people, but here they are, citizens of a land nation. I suddenly want to know how that came about. Was it like this since creation? Did these merfolk make that decision to join Narnia? Did a Narnian king save them from some terrible thing? or beat them in battle?
It seriously puzzles me that they would have forgotten the lamppost. Even if we take Lucy's telling of the wardrobe in HHB as an inconsistency against the whole forgetting-this-world thing, you'd think the lamppost would be a notable landmark. Tumnus lives not far from it, and surely they'd gone through those woods in hunting the Witch's following. Unless the same magic that caused them to forget this world caused them to forget the lamppost? It is, after all, the catalyst to their returning memories.

ImageImageImageImageImage
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
cleander

Post by cleander » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:36 am

@Ariel: I've often wondered about the lamppost myself. Here's a link to where I brought it up on the Narniaweb forum a while ago:https://community.narniaweb.com/index.p ... #post-4291
Some have suggested that the White Stag somehow had a confusing effect on his pursuers and thus caused them to forget the lamppost at least temporarily, or that the lamppost reminded the children of the home they had left, so they shut out that memory from their minds until they forgot it.
Benisse
Site Admin

Post by Benisse » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:56 am

Swanwhite wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:06 am
Chapter 17

Some of the things I noticed was how foreboding their approach to the wardrobe feels and how Susan is still the cautious one. She's the most reluctant to enter Narnia and the most reluctant to leave. I think she struggles with change which I can relate to.
I Love this insight into Susan, Swan,
and your observation of the return,
and your glorious stag!

I guess I just love your whole post!
B/L

renegadeoftheshire wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:07 pm
Wow! @Swan, that stag is amazing!! :o
Sorry that I'm a day late. But here is my last drawing for this challenge :D
Love your Pevensies!

Swanwhite wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:51 pm

@Benisse I like the photo-haiku format! They complement each other well. Kudos to Eden playing Lucy!
I'm impressed you could figure out that was Eden's hand in the photo!

I loved reading the posts in this thread -- sorry I got distracted in the world of Spare Oom so did n't get very far in this challenge. But my family is actually starting to read through all seven Chronicles (we are currently in Magician's Nephew). So when we start LWW maybe I can start adding to this thread even though this reading schedule is past.
Xin Yesu, Xiang Yesu - Believe Jesus, Be like Jesus
LWW art in my avvy and siggy by my daughter
renegadeoftheshire

Post by renegadeoftheshire » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:55 pm

Thank you, everyone, for the compliments for my drawings! Really appreciate it!
And thank you all for having me! It was a lot of fun!
Great work everyone! I love seeing all the graphics and art, etc. :D
art by an online friend!
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:11 pm

I am very late but this is...my single contribution, made in a great hurry.
I know I'm breaking my tradition of doing a series of pencil drawings, but I didn't have a scanner while I was in the States so I had to do a digital piece. Because of the vertical layout it can technically be used as a phone wallpaper...
It might be a bit big....I'll scale it down later if y'all think it kinda messes with the forum view.
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)

Return to “Summer Challenges”