Summer Challenge 2020 - LWW Sharing thread

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Lucy Took, Ajnos, Swanwhite

Ajnos
Site Admin

Re: Summer Challenge 2020 - LWW Sharing thread

Post by Ajnos » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:02 pm

Chapters 9-10
@Ren: Awsome pics again. I just love the way you characterise them and am impressed how you're keeping up with getting one done each day

@Swan: Hello there, glasses and mustache. Are they removable?

Ariel wrote:The lengths Edmund goes to justify Jadis seems to be another aspect of sin in a nutshell

I was quite struck by that passage too. Also how you can convince yourself that someone or something "isn't really that bad". (His comment that probably half the things people say about her aren't true, and "she was jolly nice to me", are pretty powerful lies we tell ourselves sometimes).

Another quote that struck me is "He would never have found his way if the moon hadn't come out by the time he got to the other river". Pretty sure that was Aslan's doing, and there was Aslan keeping him safe even while he was betraying him!!

Kristi wrote:Hmm, the stone lion is said to be enormous. I know he's not Aslan size, but are all Narnian lions a bit larger than ours?

My first thought was "it depends how old you are" (you know they get bigger as you get older), but I think that's just Aslan. I guess he seemed pretty enormous to Edmund who a) was still fairly young, b) might not have seen one before (depending on his family's zoo and circus-visiting habits those days) c) certainly hadn't been that close to one and d) was cold, tired, hungry, knew he was doing the wrong thing, was terrified of Aslan and well...I just guess it looked pretty enormous in the moonlight.

Ariel wrote:What came to mind specifically was "Joy to the world/ The Lord is come/ Let Earth receive her King". Aslan is on the move, joy to the world. Just a thought.

That's beautiful. Hadn't thought of FC as the herald!

Mr and Mrs Beaver: What are you wearing on your feet!? Did the kids get snow shoes too?
Thank you for the set Happy!!

Born a Daughter of Eve; Now a Daughter of the Second Adam
Ajnos
Site Admin

Post by Ajnos » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:39 pm

Chapters 11-12
@Swan: What a happy ending for the "reinless reindeer". :D

I was quite struck by the description of the melting snow as Ed sees it. It reminds me a lot of the first creation of the world in The Magician's Nephew - the bursting to life of flowers and trees, running water and birds singing.

Again I just want to comment on Lewis' beautiful descriptions - especially some of the little incidental details (even something like explaining that "to the right" means "to the south").

Also @Kristi: The first bird they see is a kingfisher!!

Kristi wrote:*imagines Mr. Pricklepants auditioning for Ajnos' arrangement and being disappointed.*

Your wish, is my command:
WWSleigh.jpg
WWSleigh.jpg (34.73 KiB) Viewed 3811 times
I had to do this one because I *actually* have a reindeer toy - all the way from Finland too :D
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:12 am

@Swan: I agree with Aj about the reinless reindeer!

@Aj: Cute setup! I love that you made a paper crown for the doll!

Chapter 11
"... this gluttony, this waste, this self-indulgence?" Funny you should use those words, Jadis, considering that those same words described how you sucked Edmund into your scheme. It reminds me of the topic of pleasure in The Screwtape Letters: "Never forget that when we are dealing with any pleasure in its healthy and normal and satisfying form, we are, in a sense, on the Enemy's ground. I know we have won many a soul through pleasure. All the same, it is His invention, not ours. He made the pleasures: all our research so far has not enabled us to produce one. All we can do is to encourage the humans to take the pleasures which our Enemy has produced, at times, or in ways, or in degrees, which He has forbidden. Hence we always try to work away from the natural condition of any pleasure to that in which it is least natural, least redolent of its Maker, and least pleasurable." Pleasure is a God-given gift when we find it the right way, as these creatures did with their Christmas feast. When pleasure is perverted, then it's a problem, as with Edmund gorging himself on enchanted TD.
Interesting that the snow has melted in Narnia before, at least to some extent, since the Dwarf takes far too long to clue into the idea of Spring. Exactly how much control does Jadis have over the weather (obviously a great deal, but there have been even occasional thaws...)? The beginning of the next chapter suggests that the Beavers didn't clue in at first either (@Aj, maybe Mr Beaver did his building during these thaws!).

Chapter 12
I don't remember a Pelican in Aslan's army. Huh.
I wonder what Aslan's crown looks like. I can't really imagine his ever wearing it (he's not a tame lion, after all, and lions are mighty majestic without them), but I do wonder what it looks like. And whether it was Dwarf-fashioned or something otherworldly (as in "over-the-Sea").
Gotta admire Peter for admitting his role in Edmund's choice. It's not easy to admit your wrongs, especially when they're as huge as driving your brother to such extremes.
You know, despite the anthropomorphic Beavers and Fox, I have never managed to imagine Aslan as anthropomorphic. Clapping his paws isn't really too much of stretch, but that still feels a little odd to me. And Baynes' later illustration of him standing with his forepaws clasped behind his back does nothing for me *shudders*.
I wonder why Peter keeps his sword unsheathed when he walks with Aslan. Perhaps as a symbol of readiness, of service?
"... like a great star resting on the seashore." What a cool description!
The terror of this attack.... I think I've tended to agree with Peter in wondering why Susan didn't climb higher, but thinking about it, even if I wasn't about to faint, I'd probably be so terrified that I'd tremble like an autumn leaf and not have the strength to do more (unless I had a major adrenaline boost, never know). Peter really isn't in much better condition (except that he wasn't on the verge of fainting).
Hold up, do I spot an inconsistency? "... then he wiped [the sword] dry on his coat?" What coat? They'd left their coats behind, and unlike the movie, Peter hasn't had a chance to get a change of clothes.

Too late to do a graphic. Maybe tomorrow....
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
renegadeoftheshire
Novice: Staying with the Beavers

Post by renegadeoftheshire » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:40 pm

Great work everybody! I love seeing everybody's amazing talents. :D

I missed Saturday's reading because I was busy. So today, I will give you two more drawings. (Both are from today's reading. Hope that's ok.)
Attachments
IMG_2378.JPG
IMG_2378.JPG (63.7 KiB) Viewed 3798 times
IMG_2377.JPG
IMG_2377.JPG (99.52 KiB) Viewed 3798 times
art by an online friend!
Swanwhite
Site Admin

Post by Swanwhite » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:17 am

Chapters 13-14
Deep magic
Deep mercy
The curse is reversing
This king does not sacrifice pawns.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:30 am

@Ren: I like that silhouette one! And the detail in getting those little loose bits of hair on both of them!

Chapter 13
I'm sure it's been brought up before, but what are the criteria for doing "it" properly on the Stone Table? If the blood of all traitors belong to her, why haven't the traitors among her troops (assuming they aren't all traitors) been executed? Or is it that not all who join her necessarily count as "traitors"? Where is Tumnus on that scale, does he count? (Which reminds me, I have a fic idea still bouncing around my noggin that needs to happen someday....)
We never see Jadis do this illusion magic anywhere else. Interesting.
I want to know more about Aslan's leopards. They seem to be pretty high up in his court, holding his crown and standard, acting on his behalf to see conditions are met, etc. Why them? What set them apart? Was there anything especial about the fact that they were Great Cats too?
I love that Edmund just keeps looking at Aslan. Nothing Jadis says matters. He just keeps looking. He's trusting.

Chapter 14
I just realized that we have here another instance of a child needing to pay close attention to Aslan's instructions. We all know about Jill reciting the signs, and I'd noticed that Digory had his own signs to look for; now we have Peter getting a crash-course in battle strategy. Aslan never leaves anyone unprepared, so long as they listen.
Interesting that it's only Peter who gets the battle-prep talk. Obviously, he's the eldest, the leader, and the future high king, but wouldn't it have been good to get Edmund in on it too?
Whoa, Apes other than Shift! Forgot about them completely.
"... the shorn face of Aslan looked to her braver, and more beautiful, and more patient than ever." Reminds me of Hebrews 12:2, "... looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God." The end reward was greater than the pain and shame. That is grace, that is love.

And despite efforts it is too late yet again for graphics. I have some catching up to do. :)
knight and scribe
Swanwhite
Site Admin

Post by Swanwhite » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:03 pm

Chapters 15-16

You know what? This is a really good book. I forget how good it is sometimes, and how well it reflects the gospel.

The resurrection of Aslan and the following resurrection of the statues is one of the most glorious events in all literature.

I will be back to respond more to the other reflections, but I wanted to make sure I got this up before I go out for the evening.
IMG_20200811_154941~2[1].jpg
IMG_20200811_154941~2[1].jpg (156.41 KiB) Viewed 3788 times
renegadeoftheshire

Post by renegadeoftheshire » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:00 pm

@Ariel: Thank you!
@Swan: That looks really cool! :o and honestly, I feel the same way about this book. I keep forgetting how great this book is.

Here's today's drawing! Hope you like it :D
Attachments
IMG_2381.JPG
IMG_2381.JPG (155.93 KiB) Viewed 3786 times
art by an online friend!
cleander

Post by cleander » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:07 am

@Swanwhite: Love the vandalized lion statue! That poor dude usually never gets his own fanart.
@renegadeoftheshire: Your art in general is awesome, but I especially love the silhouette of Aslan and Edmund. Very cool effect.

I'm mainly relying on my last reading of the book for this, but I have a few thoughts: It strikes me that Lewis was also making a point about pleasure (as mentioned by Ariel) with Lucy's experience with Tumnus. Tumnus in a way could be seen as representing pleasure itself, which alone is a good thing, but can be used by the enemy (as Tumnus is by Jadis) to entrap people (as Tumnus does with Lucy.) It is made clear that Satan cares nothing for pleasure itself (as evidenced at the Christmas party scene Ariel pointed out) but only seeks to use it.
Also, to Ariel: If you're wondering why there's a pelican in Aslan's retinue, I believe Lewis was paying homage to medieval symbolism in his choice for what animals stand beside Aslan's throne. The pelican at one time was a symbol for self sacrifice, because it was believed that a mother pelican would stab herself with her beak so her young could feed on her blood (not sure if that is actually true). Thus, the bird was also sometimes used as a direct symbol of Christ in some medieval art which Lewis would have been familiar with. Also, the leopards may be an allusion to their early symbolic role as a sign of unchangeableness ( based on the verse in Scripture that says "Can a leopard change his spots?" ) The Unicorn was also a symbol of purity and dogs (of course) stood for faithfulness. It seems possible these animals are placed there a symbols for different aspects of Aslan's (and Christ's) personality.

And now, a brief poem which may just have been the one circulating in Narnia during the 100 year winter:

When Winter comes in all its wrath,
Keep to the straight and narrow path.
Believe the truth, and hold it fast,
Until the light breaks forth at last.

I know the dawn is breaking soon,
Behind the ghostly winter's moon,
And naught I need to see or prove;
I know that Aslan's on the move.

For I have heard the whispering voice,
Which bids all Narnia to rejoice,
And gives a sign that we shall see
When Aslan gains the victory.

When Adam's flesh and Adam's bone,
Sits in Cair Paravel in throne,
When snow is melted 'neath the sun,
The evil time will be over and done.

They say when Aslan bares his teeth,
The witch's winter meets its death.
And when He shakes his golden mane,
Fair Narnia shall have spring again.

(Yeah, I changed the Beaver's rhymes a bit, but I imagine a folk song or rhyme like that could have many different versions (and after all, if it's just relayed by word of mouth, it's possible for bits to get mixed up or left out.)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:15 am

@Swan: I don't know how you do it!
@Ren: Mighty appropriate lyrics to pair with the reading. :lol:
@cleander: Good thoughts on pleasure. Pleasure really is all over this book.
Ooh, thanks for sharing all that medieval symbolism! That does add quite a bit more meaning to our introduction to Aslan.
Nice poem too. And hey, songs and poems evolve over time, right?

Decided to catch up some on graphics before reading. These are for days six and seven, respectively.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Chapter 15
Normally, it would bother me that characters who've hardly known each other long would feel so strongly about a death, but Aslan is a unique case. In the relatively short time the girls have known him, they may not know him intimately yet, but he is so intrinsically himself that his death warrants shock and horror and tears.
"... dozens and dozens, even hundreds". That. Is a lot of mice, my word! And to think that they all became Talking Mice (though one does have to wonder when that change took place, as the girls sure don't see it happen).
I love how Aslan's dead face looks nobler in the growing light. As if his face reflected not just the light of dawn, but life as well. And, "There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane... stood Aslan himself." I can't help the smile at his rising, the joy of his return, the glory of his life.
Aslan's run sounds absolutely exhilarating. Breakneck speed through miles of gorgeous countryside with the most surefooted mount ever? If that doesn't give one a rush, I don't know what would.

Chapter 16
You know, the restoration of the statues is similar to the creation of the creatures in MN. Aslan breathes life (in MN, through song) and the creatures surround him with joy. It's a new dawn, a new life.
I love how the "sweet spring air" invades Jadis' bleak fortress.
Can you imagine the sheer amount of "whoa" simply by looking at a fresh, vernal world? When was the last time the restored statues had seen it, if at all? Obviously, it doesn't hold a candle to Aslan himself, but still, to have all that hard, unforgiving, cold, grey everything crumble before them to reveal a world of life and colour. I can imagine mouths dropping at the sight. This is spring?
(Just a wee note on illustration, I appreciate that Baynes included a few of the smaller animals in the fray. I think I spotted a Beaver going paw-to-paw (the Beaver armed with a short sword or something) with a Fox.)
knight and scribe

Return to “Summer Challenges”