Summer Reading Challenge 2021 (HHB) Sharing Thread

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Lucy Took, Ajnos, Swanwhite

Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Re: Summer Reading Challenge 2021 (HHB) Sharing Thread

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:00 am

@Ajjie: I really like your observation about the horses filling the role of adults in this story. It does make the kids' choices perhaps a little less... hmm, not-so-role-model-y, what with all the running away happening: yes, the kids choose that, but it is with the advice of two good adults. (Don't get any ideas, kids! I do just mean that within the context of this story!)
(@Swan: I think that "nicer faces and voices" line might be subject to one's interpretation (unless there's something out there to specify authorial intent). My reading has been that the "niceness" was of character not appearance, especially when paired with an earlier contrast to the "grave and mysterious" Calormenes and the way they walked and talked freely and joyously through Tashbaan.)

Chapter 3

I've only just noticed this now: "My father... is one who has the right of standing on his feet in his shoes before the face of the Tisroc himself (may he live forever)." On his feet and in his shoes. This is a status symbol. John MacArthur had brought out something in his sermons and book on the Prodigal Son that I haven't forgotten: the father in that parable had shoes brought out for the returned son, a status symbol that declares the son as being from a wealthy family. Likewise, I think of Moses at the burning bush or Joshua encountering the Angel of the Lord: both were instructed to take off their shoes, for they were on holy ground. Kidrash boasts a noble lineage, "descended in a right line from the god Tash"; this is not said of the Tisroc, but I think it more than safe to assume that the royal line is even closer in "lineage" to Tash. As such, Kidrash is permitted to not only not bow in the presence of the Tisroc, but to keep his shoes on. Perhaps he's even nearly royalty himself. At any rate, I suddenly appreciate the significance of two things: Aravis' arranged marriage to Ahoshta (who is of a most esteemed position, but certainly not out of reach of Kidrash's circle) and her private thought of the soldiers at the gate of Tashbaan "jump[ing] to attention and salut[ing] me if they knew whose daughter I am".

Aravis' older brother has long been a point of interest to me. She clearly esteemed and loved him deeply, but we know so little about him, except that he died in battle and that his build was small enough to allow Aravis to wear his armour. No insights on that, just... throwing that out there, haha.

Similar to an earlier comment about Bree's kindnesses, Aravis is surprisingly gracious to Shasta despite her obvious dislike of him (and refusal to speak to him as much as possible for the first while). She offered him food in the last chapter and did not laugh at Bree's humour at Shasta's expense.

Chapter 4

No particular remarks on this one, I don't think, unless I play the contrast game again. :D Oh, except that I do wonder at the Narnians having mistaken Shasta for Corin: Shasta may be fair-skinned in contrast to Calormenes and maybe Corin is outdoors a good deal, but surely Shasta's complexion would be darker and perhaps even his hair colour a little different? (But this is also coming from someone who tans easily and whose hair has not only grown lighter through exposure to the sun, but also has more noticeable highlights in the summer.)
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
Swanwhite
Site Admin

Post by Swanwhite » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:09 pm

@Ajnos
I appreciate Bree's kindness too! It's a huge contrast to how Shasta has been treated his whole life. Bree may look down on Shasta in a fashion but it's in more of a "you poor foolish child, I will look after you" kind of way. He underestimates Shasta's abilities, but not his value as a person. I think this comes mainly as a reaction to his years of humans assuming that he is a "dumb and witless" horse.

Good observation about the adult role that the horses play in the children's lives!

The human/horse relationships and the group dynamic among the four of them fascinate me.

@Happy
I like your observations about a turning point in breaking free from a traumatic past.

Hwin's good sense is probably what saves them all! She is truly a gem :)

@Ren
I love your silhouette work! And Aravis dancing :) Green is a good colour for her.

@Ariel

I think the "If I find in myself desires..." quote is very fitting here as well! That longing is perhaps the most pervasive theme I've seen in all Lewis's works.

Looking for contrasts is handy as a framework to view a story through. You'll find all kinds of character foils or things like "expectations vs. reality". The contrast between King Lune and the Tisroc (may he not live forever) is one of my favourites.

I'm really curious about Aravis's brother too! And her younger brother who I nearly forgot about. I also wonder about her Father searching for her in Tashbaan and whether she ever communicated or reconciled with him.

Chapters 5: Prince Corin

Two thoughts for this chapter.

Tumnus feeding Shasta a glorious meal while describing Narnian summer to him made me think very much of Lucy's Tea with Tumnus in LWW

I love how Shasta and Corin become friends almost as quickly as Lucy and the fisherdess.

Chapters 6: Shasta Among the Tombs

I have an audio reflection for this chapter:
https://soundcloud.com/swan-white/shast ... -the-tombs

Had to reset my soundcloud password to upload it :P
The Happy Islander
ROotL

Post by The Happy Islander » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:21 am

In chapter 5, I like this quote from Sallowpad the Raven:

And now, as we birds say, nests before eggs. Which is as much as to say, let us all take our food and then at once be about our business.

It is fun to think about the perspectives of the talking animals and other non-humans of Narnia. It adds a lot of depth to the story and is pleasing to the imagination. :) I wonder what other proverbs there could be among the talking animals of Narnia, that aren't said in the books.

In chapter 6, I like the sympathy that is shown towards Shasta's fear of being among the tombs, a sympathy that is retained though he was afraid of things that weren't real. He had a comforter and a protector, who was there because Shasta needed someone. He was not left alone, even though he felt more alone than he had since the time that he and Bree ran away. Everything was going to be okay, but he didn't know that, and he didn't know how things could work out for him. So he was sent comfort and reassurance and companionship.
They might not need me but; they might.
I'll let my Head be just in sight;
A smile as small as mine might be
Precisely their necessity.
-Emily Dickinson
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:44 am

@Happy: I like those slice-of-life tidbits from the non-humans of Narnia as well!

@Swan: Longing and joy are certainly everywhere in Narnia (and other of Lewis' writings; I'm due for a re-read of the Space Trilogy and Till We Have Faces); they were extremely important to him, especially once he'd discovered where that joy lay and how his longing could be sated.

Chapter 5

"[Rabadash] is little used (more's the pity) to having his will crossed." Did Edmund just call Rabadash a spoiled brat? :lol:

I wonder what Sallowpad was up to all those times he flew over the Great Desert. There's got to be a story or a dozen there.

Peter has defeated the Tisroc a dozen times over. A dozen times. And somehow marriage between Narnia and Calormen was on the table. Were these small skirmishes over trade waters or something? Surely not outright war, not with both sides (Narnia, really, given the size of Calormen) being as strong as they are after said dozen times. Maybe Rabadash really did turn on the charm when he was in Narnia for a week....

I really like the little bit with Tumnus physically thinking. It's not often that you come across characters who do something like that, so it stands out when one does.

For all that he doesn't like Aravis, Shasta considers her potential position with the Narnians very seriously. Her chance at freedom is every bit as important as his own.

Good gravy, that Calormene supper sounds good.... Lewis doesn't really elaborate on the levels of deliciousness (no fancy chef talk here!), but honestly, he doesn't need to: the food speaks for itself.

It's kind of funny that, even though we all know Tumnus thinks he is addressing Corin, a lot of what he says applies (or will apply) to Shasta too: his father, his castle on the southern slopes, his first suit of armour and war horse, his visiting Narnia.

I suddenly realized that, unless Archenland has cosmetic dentists (and who's to say there aren't?), Corin may well have gone into adulthood with either a snaggle tooth or a gap in his teeth. I don't know why I find that amusing, but I do. :D

You gotta love the interaction between the boys here. Corin is all fun and games ("Hi, stranger! We could have a grand old time being lookalikes!") and Shasta is zoned in on business matters ("You must be Corin. Here's the skinny, and I'm off!") At the same time, they share the qualities of being independent (even in strange environments), resourceful, and street-smart.

I'll have to do chapter 6 later, so until then!
knight and scribe
Ajnos
Site Admin

Post by Ajnos » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:18 pm

Yesterday was the last day with my parents so I fell behind. But I caught up on the flight back.

@Ren. I love your dancing Aravis picture and especially how the skirt flares
@Ariel. I was also struck by the phrase "right of standing on his face in his shoes" suggesting just how high his rank was but didn't think further into what the "in his shoes" actually meant. Excellent thoughts.
That's also a good point about the boys having different levels of tanning. I think we could get away with it by assuming that Corin did spend most of his free time outdoors, it fits his character. And Shasta would have had some indoor duties. But your reference to hair gave me another thought - what were the chances of them having similar enough haircuts of the same length?
@Swan. I was also thinking of the similarity between Cor and Corin's becoming instant friends and the Lucy quote. It must be something Lewis felt strongly about (the ability for people to become instant friends.
@Happy. I agree about how Lewis characterises his animals so well. I have a feeling we commented on the same sort of thing last year with LWW.

Chapters 5-8
I'm gonnna start with a cheat by sharing the mini fic I wrote for the 2011 Challenge about what the Narnians might have thought on learning Shasta wasn't Corin. Was fun to go back and reread it.
http://hedgepickle.blogspot.com/p/the-lost-prince.html

Some general thoughts:
I love the story of the cat comforting Shasta. Obviously because we know later what it's all about, it adds more significance but it's just so simple yet powerful. It's like when God gives us inexplicable comfort during a tough time and we can't tell why or may not even recognise it's him but we stop feeling scared or anxious in a situation where we would expect to. It doesn't always happen, but when it does, it is a reminder that God is always taking care of our needs. Whether comfort while we sleep or wait or actually chasing away jackals we don't even are there.

I also love how Lewis depicts every day human experiences with accuracy and in ways you can relate. The first example is Shasta's fear of the tombs and how things feel a lot scarier in the dark and at night and when we can't see clearly, and that's okay. The second is the waiting. I spent a lot of my student years playing the waiting because I didn't drive and got lifts to uni from my Dad or occasionally other people. Traffic and other things meant I didn't always know when he'd arrive so I know a lot about waiting and hoping you weren't forgotten :p. I also absolutely hate ordering stuff online to be delivered because delivery times are unclear and I get very anxious while doing that waiting thing. The part where Shasta worries (almost irrationally) that he will miss the others and the way he runs back so as to ruin his bath, is something I relate to so strongly.

I wanted to do one other thing for today's reflection (linked to the Aravis chapters) but it's getting late and will keep, so I'll leave it there for now.
Thank you for the set Happy!!

Born a Daughter of Eve; Now a Daughter of the Second Adam
Swanwhite
Site Admin

Post by Swanwhite » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:26 pm

Chapters 7-8

I love the dialogue in this book so much :lol:

There's so much subtle (and some blatant) humour in the conversations. The extravagance, triviality, and inconsistencies in Lasaraleen's monologues make me chortle and I revel in the layers of arrogance, threat, and backbiting in the secret council.

I threw together this representation of the Tisroc, Rabadash and Ahoshta from random icons in piktochart.
In the Tisroc's Chamber.jpg
In the Tisroc's Chamber.jpg (192.99 KiB) Viewed 2350 times
The Happy Islander
ROotL

Post by The Happy Islander » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:24 am

In chapter 7, I like the way that the friend that Aravis ran into actually ended up being a friend who could help her and Bree and Hwin--however different Aravis and Lasaraleen were. They didn't need to like the same things, or even have the same ideas about what would make Aravis happy, for Lasaraleen to know how to help Aravis leave the city without notice, and to help Aravis end up where she needed to be.

In chapter 8, I like how it is shown what a hollow sort of greatness Ahoshta has, and how Aravis's decision not to marry for social position and riches has proven to be sound. Ahoshta may have had many privileges, but he was just the tool of a tyrannical and arbitrary ruler. It reminds me a little bit of a scene from Lewis Carroll's Sylvie and Bruno, in which the narrator is amused that the fairy child Bruno felt it was a great honor to wait at table for the fairy king, but then the narrator realizes that many things that are considered to be a great honor in the human world perhaps have no more honor in them than that.
They might not need me but; they might.
I'll let my Head be just in sight;
A smile as small as mine might be
Precisely their necessity.
-Emily Dickinson
renegadeoftheshire
Novice: Staying with the Beavers

Post by renegadeoftheshire » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:17 am

Sorry, I'm late. (I'm caught up on the reading but not the drawing parts.)

This is for yesterday's chapters. I decided to draw Shasta and Corin for this. (I know Corin didn't use a sword, but I thought it would make the drawing more interesting.)

Love what I'm seeing here. The art piece looks great Kristi :P
Thanks for the compliments for my drawings :D
Attachments
cor and corin.jpg
cor and corin.jpg (241.56 KiB) Viewed 2343 times
art by an online friend!
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:35 am

@Ajjie: Yes, haircuts too! That's another difference to consider! Thanks for sharing the fic: I hadn't read it before, and I think this is the first time I've seen an explanation for why no one put two and two together. If it had been a largely forgotten secret, then it makes sense that Narnia would have no knowledge of Cor.
@Rennie: I like the way you did Corin (he reminds me of young Thor in a way, haha!).

Chapter 6

Is it weird that I've only now really clued in that Cor returned to the house before sundown? For some reason, I always imagined that scene taking place at twilight, even though Shasta has light to see the desert and mountains by and the gates don't close till after he leaves the city.

Though Lewis points out the irrationality of Shasta's fears, they are understandable, and truly, Lewis helps us connect to that. Things like having something warm and solid at your back, facing the thing you're afraid of, and whatnot are familiar, things we've all dealt with at some point or another.

Chapter 7

Things seem to be clicking better this go 'round than before: I tend to imagine Lasaraleen as being a young woman (by modern standards) rather than probably still a teenager. Between the friendship between her and Aravis being compared to that of schoolgirls as well as Bree's comment about Tarkheenas marrying young, Las' more schoolgirl-like behaviour is making more sense now. I imagine that even once she gets to her twenties, she'll still be ditzy and all, though I'd hope there'd be a maturity to it as well. (That, or else I'm finally allowed to imagine characters as being older than intended, and Shasta and Aravis are not quite so young after all. :lol: )

I wonder if Aravis' interest in bows and dogs and things were at least partly influenced by her older brother? She may, of course, had had those interests all along, but I had assumed that perhaps her widowed father had a hand in cultivating them (without considering her older brother as well).

Given Lasaraleen's frequent visits to the palace, I wonder if her husband also has the right of standing on his feet and in his shoes before the face of the Tisroc....

You know, I've always thought of Las' comment about travelling with a peasant boy as "not Nice" as a way of expressing her distaste for Aravis' running away and such. I don't doubt that's at least part of it -- maybe even all of it --, but she might also be referencing to something along the lines of the scandals she likes to chatter about. A high-born lady travelling with a peasant would certainly fall into that category.

Much as I deride Las for being ditzy and shallow, I think she does care deeply about Aravis' well-being and future. The trouble isn't that she doesn't care (despite the appearance given by her self-centeredness), but only in that her idea of Aravis' well-being is the literal opposite of Aravis' own. She nearly cries at (what she perceives to be) her friend's thick-headed stupidity in refusing to marry the Grand Vizier. Maybe I'm finally letting myself see things from her perspective, or maybe it's because I've also heavily disagreed over friends' choices in life and thus can not only empathize but sympathize with the sentiment.

(Notice that the Grand Vizier does not have the right of standing on his feet and in his shoes before the face of the Tisroc.)

Chapter 8

The description of Rabadash's hurried formalities always brings a smile to my face. Hardly a respectful son, but it's such a great character moment. Their brief exchange of hostilities has a similar effect, though a more foreboding one.

Rabadash is, of course, confident that his plan will work exactly as he has planned it -- and is impetuous besides --, so he likely sees little risk to the reputation he's putting on the line.

The Tisroc's dry remark about the "live forever" business (and Rabadash's awkward silence) is hilarious. On the one hand, it's a mantra repeated day in and day out, and there seems to be some sort of belief/superstition about it... but on the other hand, every Tisroc before has died and every Tisroc prepares his sons to take the throne.

Just realized that Ahoshta's bit about sons being precious as carbuncles is the exact same simile used by Arsheeh!

Here we have another contrast: between fathers and sons. The Tisroc says outright that he loves glory and power more than his own sons ("natural affection is stronger than soup" much?), warns Rabadash that he will not bail him out of this crazy plan lands him in trouble, and complains that the "excess of paternal anxiety" makes him sleepy. Sleepy! Any parent worth his salt would not be thinking about sleep when experiencing an excess of paternal anxiety. Though we don't see Lune having to directly deal with the same conditions, his character is such that we know that he and the Tisroc have vastly different ideas about fatherhood.
knight and scribe
Swanwhite
Site Admin

Post by Swanwhite » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:02 pm

Chapter 9-10:

All is heat and haze
and my mind is a maze
beaten down by the blaze.

The desert passage really hit me as a metaphor yesterday as I've been having lots of times lately where I've been emotionally or spiritually in deserts whether for a few hours or a few days. (Lewis talks about something similar with the “law of undulation” in the Screwtape Letters.) Some of the applications I've found from this story are as follows:

1. The desert is temporary even if it doesn't feel like it.
Shasta reaches a point where Tashbaan refuses to look any further away and the northern mountains refuse to look any nearer i.e. it feels like they aren't getting anywhere, but they are. When you're in a slump it feels as if it's always going to feel that way, but it's important to remember that there has been joy before, there will be joy again, and ultimately there will be endless joy with Jesus.

2. It's crazy to try and cross the desert on your own.
Because Shasta doesn't have experience with deserts he nearly attempts the crossing on his own. If he had, he would have died. It is also dangerous to isolate yourself when your mental health isn't doing well. We need connection with family and friends. With the help of Bree, Hwin and Aravis, Shasta is able to get through.

3. The desert isn't a punishment.
The fact that it's hard doesn't mean they are going in the wrong direction. They have to do this, and getting across it not only helps them, but countless others.

4. The grass really is greener on the other side.
There are deserts between you and your homeland. There are better things ahead, probably in this life and certainly in the one to come.

Return to “Summer Challenges”