How Did Polly Know?

Guinea pigs, rings, a dying world and a new world born

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, jesusgirl4ever, Ajnos

jesusgirl4ever

How Did Polly Know?

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:39 am

While they're flying on Fledge to go to get the apple, Polly tells Digory something like, "That'll be where Archenland is."

Archenland wasn't officially founded for 180 more years. Soooo, how did she know that it would be called Archenland? Did she name it or was Lewis just giving us a quick blip of info regarding other books? (If the latter, he must not have realized that there would be people 60 years later who over-analyse everything about the books. :P )
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
marmota-b
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Re: How Did Polly Know?

Post by marmota-b » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:01 am

Aslan, in the chapter before, tells Frank and Helen "And you and your children and your grandchildren shall be blessed, and some will be Kings of Narnia, and others will be Kings of Archenland which lies yonder over the Southern Mountains."

Sooo... it's not officially founded as a political entity yet, but it already exists, and just like Narnia, the name comes from Aslan Himself.

I've always pictured Narnia and Archenland much like my own country, where the borders are pretty "natural", formed in large part by mountain ranges and bodies of water.
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:03 am

Ah. I don't have the book on me at the moment.

But still, how did she know where it would be? :P
marmota-b

Post by marmota-b » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:08 am

Yonder over the Southern Mountains? It says in the book that they see the mountains and here and there through a gap, the landscape beyond. The way I picture the lay of the land, it's fairly obvious once you have that piece of information from Aslan. (Or at least obvious when you're able to figure out where South is? :P)
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:15 am

Yes, but "it's an extraordinary thing about girls that they don't know the points of the compass." ;)

And anyway, I know them, but the sun mightn't rise and set the same way in Narnia. The world is flat.

Although did they know they were heading west? I don't remember.
marmota-b

Post by marmota-b » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:36 am

Sun's easy to figure out. The point I'm getting at is, the "points of compass" have to do with sun, originally, the magnetic side of things is a happy accident. Plus, apparently, it works similarly even in Narnia's flat world, because Peter could use his compass in Prince Caspian! (That's an interesting idea for a worldbuilding fic, though: how did Narnians discover the workings of compasses? I'd bet dwarfs were involved.)

And yes, they do know they are going West.
HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:12 am

I have read that a number of migratory animals can sense the magnetic poles, it could be that Fledge could as well, even if they couldn't tell from the sun and that they were told to go to the west.
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well." - John 14:6-7a
marmota-b

Post by marmota-b » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:16 am

Now I re-read this thread, it occurs to me that it might be easier to figure out it has to do with the sun in my own language, where the word for "East" is the same as for sunrise, and that for "West" the same as for "sunset"...
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:47 pm

Oh, that's cool, marmota!
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
Benisse
Site Admin

Post by Benisse » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:54 am

Getting back to the original question:
Unless she was a seer, Polly could not have known where Archenland was going to be in the future unless someone told her. The only person that would have known that is Aslan or perhaps someone like a centaur (that could read the stars?). So if you keep in the canon (i.e., assume that this is not a slip on Lewis' part, but rather look into the Narnian world for answers), perhaps Aslan could have given more detailed instructions to Polly (or Fledge) that were not recorded. (Fledge could have told Polly, and>>) ...As they were flying she could have recognized the geography enough to point Archenland out.
Xin Yesu, Xiang Yesu - Believe Jesus, Be like Jesus
LWW art in my avvy and siggy by my daughter

Return to “The Magician's Nephew”