What readest thou?

A place to discuss what you're reading, your favourite authors and books etc. Everything from the Classics to Shakespeare and Non-Narnian Fantasy works.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, White Rose

hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Re: What readest thou?

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:58 am

Going through Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories again and appreciating them more than ever. :mrgreen:
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:12 am

Finally finished JRR Tolkien and CS Lewis: The Story of a Friendship (not all that tick, but it took longer than expected to get through). Moving on to Pride and Prejudice tomorrow.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:25 am

Finished Pride and Prejudice. I'm amazed at how faithful the A&E adaptation is (and I find agreeable the changes that they did make).
Moving on to Sense and Sensibility.
knight and scribe
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:51 am

Completed Sense and Sensibility and have decided I have found another film adaptation of a book I prefer over the book. Sense and Sensibility is drier than Pride and Prejudice and I have the distinct impression that most of the characters are more like caricatures: most things are so exaggerated that I can hardly believe it to be anything else.
Anyway. Moving on to Persuasion tomorrow.
knight and scribe
HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:12 pm

I've been listening to The Gospel of John, read by Vic Mignogna (the voice actor for Edward Elric in FMA). It's officially online for free. He also did a piano soundtrack in to the narration.
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well." - John 14:6-7a
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:16 am

Finished Persuasion (thus far, I think it's my favourite Jane Austen book!). On to Mansfield Park.
knight and scribe
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:46 pm

Going through James Herriot's books because my sister gave me them for Christmas. They're quite good, aside from some British strong language. I like them because they're all about animals.
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:22 am

Just finished Mansfield Park. The last few chapters had me quite suddenly sucked in in a way that the rest of the book hadn't! As for Edmund Bertram, I don't think I've loved such a flawed character this much since Woody from Toy Story. (To be clear, Fitzwilliam Darcy is more flawed and still dear to me, but he had to improve on me; Edmund Bertram from the start had my empathy throughout.)

Emma is destined to be my next Jane Austen reading, but I didn't act on my notification from the library, so I have to wait till tomorrow evening to pick it up.
In the meantime, I'll start on... *peruses shelf* Wolf Willow. A prof from my college gave it to me with a particular desire to share the experience with me, and yet I've already read the other books he gave me after the presentation of this one.
knight and scribe
anunknownpevensie
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by anunknownpevensie » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:24 pm

Thinking of starting Artemis Fowl? anyone got reveiws?

And if you want me to respond to anything, you will have to quote me I am afraid.
Lucy Took
Site Admin

Post by Lucy Took » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:29 pm

Congrats on making it through Mansfield Park, Ariel! It's the only Austen book that I've yet to manage to make it through, I just can't make myself care. :P However I did like the recent adaptation of it and it being about a 2-3 hour experience as opposed to a novel let me engage in it enough to know the storyline. Edmund Bertram is flawed, but he gets away with it by being a good person. He might not speak up nearly as much as he should (Which is what made it one of the least engaging of the books for me...) but he is at heart a good person.

Emma is my favorite of Austen's novels. I'm not sure if you'll agree Ariel given how deeply flawed Emma is compared to the other leads. But I love Emma because I see myself in Emma, warts and all.

(Have you seen the Lizzy Bennett Diaries? They aren't for the youngest of viewers, but it's a great modern retelling of P&P through a YouTube vlog. Shoot me a PM if you want the links. 100% legal on the YouTubes)

Artimis Fowl! I've read them all, some more than once. It's a really fun series, mostly because I find Eoin Colfer's writing style to be so much fun. His ideas are clever, his characters are engaging and his stories are fantastical. Highly recommend. It's a Sci Fi series with fairies. Technologically advanced fairies. It's like nothing I've ever read before.
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

Return to “The Library (non-Narnian Literature)”