What readest thou?

A place to discuss what you're reading, your favourite authors and books etc. Everything from the Classics to Shakespeare and Non-Narnian Fantasy works.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, White Rose

hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Re: What readest thou?

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Mon May 13, 2019 1:36 am

The verb tenses is the reason I had to take a break from studying Greek. :P I had just memorized all the noun tenses and then my dad handed me a little laminated sheet with like half a hundred verb endings on it and said, "That should be enough to start with" and I realized I'd have to wait to go one until I had more time just to devote to studying (since this happened as we were getting ready to move, so our schedule was kind of crazy and we were on the road a lot).
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
EveningStar
Novice: Staying with the Beavers

Post by EveningStar » Tue May 14, 2019 2:09 pm

Hermit, why do you think they call them "tenses" except that they make you so tense! ;-)

There is an old joke that Nostalgia is defined, "Someone who finds the present tense and the past perfect."
HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Tue May 21, 2019 9:25 pm

Star, that's a good joke, thanks for sharing!

Hobbit, wow, maybe one day you'll remember them easily.
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well." - John 14:6-7a
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:29 pm

I read The Champion by Christian rock singer Carman. (I grew up with one of his tapes, so when my college library had a book by him in their $1 sale, I was curious enough to get it, though not curious enough to read it till last week.) But um, yikes. He wrote that book the way I used to write: describing everything, using too many similes, and head-hopping (sometimes for no great reason). The romance moved waaaay too fast (and I saw it coming from a mile away) and he ruined a character twist by introducing it wrong. But those are peanuts compared to the justifications for the climax. He tries to say that it’s God’s will and even pulls John 15:13 into it, but... no. I don’t think so, buddy.

So... not the worst piece of Christian fiction I’ve read, but certainly not among the moderately good. It’s going to sit on my shelf next to my weird rapture one with messed-up theological implications (however unintended perhaps) until I find a way to turn them into crafts.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
Luthien
Knight

Post by Luthien » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:17 pm

Ariel, I haven't read that book, but I'm sure your craft will be wonderful. Last year I turned a bunch of old reports into paper snowflakes, and someone I know said she liked turning books that no one wanted to read into miniature Christmas trees.

Has anyone read anything by Dorothy Sayers? I recently bought a collection of her essays, Letters to a Diminished Church. I've only read the first essay so far, but I enjoyed it. It was about how some people say that the life of Jesus and the Church's doctrine are boring. Her letter explains how they actually are part of 'The Greatest Drama Ever Staged" (as chapter one was titled), and the few pages I read so far are worded vibrantly.

Perhaps the drama is played out now, and Jesus is safely dead and buried. Perhaps. It is ironical and entertaining to consider that at least once in the world's history those words might have been spoken with complete conviction, and that was upon the eve of the Resurrection.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:52 am

Heh, thanks, just gotta get to crafting....

I want to say the name is familiar, but I don’t know why. Definitely haven’t read anything by her though.
Partway through Ashamed of the Gospel by John MacArthur.
knight and scribe
Benisse
Site Admin

Post by Benisse » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:08 am

I started Rifqa Bary's Hiding in the Light memoir today and couldn't put it down till I was 100 pages in. Her dilemma is portrayed with aching poignancy as she struggles with her desire to follow Christ with her fear of reprisal from her family for turning from their Muslim faith.
Xin Yesu, Xiang Yesu - Believe Jesus, Be like Jesus
LWW art in my avvy and siggy by my daughter
knightofnarnia
Knight

Post by knightofnarnia » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:57 am

is that the one where she has only one eye that works? If it is I read it too. Less good in my opinion then Seeking Allah Finding Jesus. But a good read.
And whoever will be chief shall be servant of all (Mark 10:44 my version)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:51 am

I haven’t heard of your book, Benisse. (Loved Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus too, knight!)

Still working my way through Ashamed of the Gospel by John MacArthur, and have decided to re-read Jane Austen’s Emma because I need inspiration for something. I imagine I’ll re-read Robert Elmer’s Promise of Zion series soon now that I’ve finally found used copies at a price I like (the series is out of print, so used is the only option).
knight and scribe
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:26 pm

I just read "Maus" for the first time today; it's a graphic novel written by the son of a Jewish prisoner in Auschwitz....but all the characters are portrayed as animals. Can't 100% recommend it for all TLCers due to a few frames that aren't particularly family friendly (violence, immodesty, etc.), but otherwise it was really fascinating and I couldn't put it down for more than 15 minutes.

Earlier this month I listened to an audiobook of "Miracles" by C.S. Lewis, which I'd never had a chance to read before, and I thought that that was really, really good too. I'm thinking of going through more of his theology stuff that way since it's pretty easy to find the audiobooks on YouTube and I'm tired of waiting to find the actual books at book sales and stuff. :P
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)

Return to “The Library (non-Narnian Literature)”