What readest thou?

A place to discuss what you're reading, your favourite authors and books etc. Everything from the Classics to Shakespeare and Non-Narnian Fantasy works.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, White Rose

narniannetty
Regular: Meeting Father Christmas

Re: What readest thou?

Post by narniannetty » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:30 pm

Update: Still haven't finished the book. Got busy. I made it passed chapter 70 so that's a milestone. 39 chapters to go.
knightofnarnia
Knight

Post by knightofnarnia » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:32 pm

my brother and I almost finished reading Eric Metaxas book about Martin Luther. (The 1500's Reformer)
And whoever will be chief shall be servant of all (Mark 10:44 my version)
knightofnarnia
Knight

Post by knightofnarnia » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:57 am

I'm finishing Skyward with my brother. It is a good read; I like Brandon Sanderson quite a bit.
Luthien
Knight

Post by Luthien » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:56 pm

KoN, I would be interested in knowing your thoughts on Skyward, and when you get a chance, the sequel Starsight (which I just finished about three weeks ago). The books have very different feels, and I am still not sure how I feel about some of the differences. M-bot's character development is interesting, though, particularly near the end.

I am about half-way through the same Martin Luther book. It is really well-written. I;m also about half-way through Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson. Honestly, I kind of put it down at one point because I got busy and almost feel like it would be better to start the whole thing over.

This past week, I read Strong Poison and Murder Must Advertise by Dorothy Sayers. They are both Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries written in the 1920s/1930s. I particularly enjoyed the second, which involved Lord Peter Bunburying as his supposed cousin to investigate an advertising agency. While the term "Bunburying" was not strictly used to describe his actions, the word was included in a different context. Given how many works of literature Sayers references in her own books, I hove no doubt it was intentional, though.
knightofnarnia
Knight

Post by knightofnarnia » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:39 am

Having not started Starsight I can't comment. But Skyward was good. M-Bot is a very interesting character along with the main character. She (the main character) evolves quite a bit to the point of not making over the top comments at the end. I haven't started his big book serie. I read Warbreaker and The Reckoner trilogie plus Mistborn. You should finish Martin Luther (Eric Metaxas is American and kind of harps on his importance to American thought but short of that it is a great book).
knightofnarnia
Knight

Post by knightofnarnia » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:28 pm

Luthien Starsight is a great book.
Spoilers for Starsight ahead.

But I can't believe he ended it on a cliff hangar. So many questions like will the Government official (can't remember her name but Spencer used the hologram to disguise her) get out alive? Will they be able to "fix" M-Bot. So many questions.
Lily of Archenland
ROotL

Post by Lily of Archenland » Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:38 pm

I am reading a large number of things but I think the most promising one on my current list is "The Boy Who Lost Fairyland."
kristi
Site Admin

Post by kristi » Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:44 pm

I'm rereading my 2007 NaNo novel, realizing I still love the story, but told it quite poorly. Need to also reread Treasure Island so I can write a blog post for a friend, got lost partway through Sanderson's Rhythm of War and haven't picked it up again yet, but eagerly awaiting his Tress of the Emerald Sea which had such a charming opening.
Lily of Archenland
ROotL

Post by Lily of Archenland » Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:03 am

Hm... I never got into Sanderson, but I think my youngest sib left a couple of his books behind when he moved out. I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to put him on my to-read agenda.
knightofnarnia
Knight

Post by knightofnarnia » Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:35 am

Lily of Archenland usually Sanderson is a good read. He always seems to surprise me at the end of his books.

Return to “The Library (non-Narnian Literature)”