What have you been watching?

The meeting place of TLC for conversation that doesn't always include Narnia.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, Lucy Took

featherfish
Knight

Re: What have you been watching?

Post by featherfish » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:34 pm

@Tooky: oh, thanks for clearing that up. i don't think i ever knew the difference. and i'll probably look into some alfred hitchcock, then. :)
*is such an emo sprite*
lady featherfish, royal vocalist and scrivener of fanfictions

i swear this sig is a goose
elanorelle
Contributor

Post by elanorelle » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:51 pm

@Feather: also Gaslight falls under that same category. I like the 1944 version with Ingrid Bergman and Charles Boyer.
featherfish
Knight

Post by featherfish » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:42 pm

@ela: :reads about it: oh, i might have to watch that one. :D
*is such an emo sprite*
lady featherfish, royal vocalist and scrivener of fanfictions

i swear this sig is a goose
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:55 am

So I just saw Inside Out (on Monday, if I remember correctly). I liked it, and I aaaaaaalmost enjoyed it a lot. The problem was that it was a little close to home and I couldn't help but growl (silently), "Oh, you think you've got it hard?? You have a HOUSE. But that broccoli pizza? Aww, I'm so sorry for you. I know it's rough to be able to order your food in YOUR NATIVE LANGUAGE."
But...
...otherwise I thought it was pretty good. I probably would have loved it if I hadn't just moved, myself.
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:09 pm

Aw. *hugs Hobbit* I have another friend who took it kind of hard too because it brought up difficult childhood memories for him.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
Lil
Site Admin

Post by Lil » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:08 am

I saw Inside Out when I was still trying to deal with moving to my grandmother's elder community and just missing my church and friends and everything. So I sat there in the theater and sobbed at the end.

*hugs Hobbit*
elanorelle wrote:
I just got back from Hidden Figures. Loved it! And I'd recommend it to anyone really, but for mild swearing if one takes issue with that. :)
Oh really? How was it? (you can PM me.) I've been really curious about it and not sure if I wanted to see it or not.
Avvie by Siberian Christmas. Signature by Ariel of Narnia

"Maybe Redemption has stories to tell. Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell. Where can you run to escape from yourself? Where you gonna go? Salvation is here." - Dare You to Move (Switchfoot.)
anunknownpevensie
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by anunknownpevensie » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:17 am

seriously thinking about suicide squad.
anybody got anything to say about it?

And if you want me to respond to anything, you will have to quote me I am afraid.
elanorelle
Contributor

Post by elanorelle » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:32 am

@Pev: My siblings watched it and thought it wasn't a very good movie. Weak plot, little character development. They both love superhero stuff, but thought this one was lacking.
anunknownpevensie
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by anunknownpevensie » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:39 am

@Ela: Thanks for the info.

What about X-men?

And if you want me to respond to anything, you will have to quote me I am afraid.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:44 am

I saw a stream of comments on Suicide Squad on a YouTube video yesterday, a number of them from DC fans, I'm sure. Most of what I saw was negative, even down to, "I NEVER leave a movie, but I left Suicide Squad about an hour in!" Plus, between PluggedIn, a secular reviewer I follow, and that video I watched... it's pretty much in no way worth it, from what I gather.

Personally, stay away from X-Men. They're a slightly less extreme waste of time (as individual films, but considering there are... 9 now, if you include the upcoming Logan... anyway). I watched the first one because one of my college profs bashed it several times, I had to see if it was as bad as he said. It was. And then I watched the second one and most of the third one to see if it got any better. Nope, not at all. I tried First Class and it's the only one I sorta enjoyed, but it's got parts I really didn't like (and still wasn't a great movie). Days of Future Past looked sooooo promising, but failed spectacularly. And even die-hard, nostalgia-driven fans are largely negative on Apocalypse. Everyone hates Origins: Wolverine. What I saw of The Wolverine (separate film) bored and annoyed me. The stories, no matter how interesting they may sound, are poorly executed (though I'll grant that some plots are better than others). The characters are largely... eh.... And don't get me started on the fact that the first film tried to give equal character arcs to no less than three characters. Ugh. That's what I hated most about that one.... I'm of the belief that the hype is from nostalgic comic book fans who are willing to overlook a good deal (with some exceptions) just so they can see these characters onscreen. X-Men is a good chunk of the reason why I had extremely little hope for any superhero movie to be really, actually good until Captain America: Winter Soldier proved that superhero movies can actually have depth and mean something (note that I've not seen all superhero movies; I'm told the Dark Knight trilogy is more along the lines of what I'm looking for).

*gets off her soapbox* :oops:
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"

Return to “The Bird and Baby”