Hobbit Discussion *SPOILERS* Thread

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Ajnos, White Rose, Swanwhite, kristi

elanorelle
Contributor

Re: Hobbit Discussion *SPOILERS* Thread

Post by elanorelle » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:40 am

So, I've watched BoFA a third time. :P

Concerning Dol Guldur
The last two viewings I noticed that when Galadriel puts her hand on the iron gate thing she has Nenya and for this viewing I noticed Elrond has his ring too. Gandalf also wears a ring.
I don't think I'll understand why they decided to go with dark Galadriel considering she is called "lady of Light" and, as Shi said, if she were to use light it would be far better.

@Ariel: Bard was definitely a highlight of the film. He's a pretty amazing character I didn't think I would like as much as I do now.
It was! I love that part. You feel the same way, eh? I walked out saying that while I loved the scene, the gold 'swallowing' him looked odd. No one else agreed with me on that. After the third time it still looks 'strange' but it's a nice idea overall.

@SYoickson: I loved when he finally got over his dragon-sickness and cheered inwardly after he won the struggle and cast off his crown.

One part that always makes me me smile is when the dwarves finally come out to fight. The entire scene from when they run out to the point where Gandalf says, "They are rallying to their king."
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:12 am

If anyone wants to have a bit of Middle-earth movie-making feels.... :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3Jl86HCoBE (YouTube is not affiliated with TLC; click at your own risk.)

Edit: just found out that the Dwarvish Thorin spits out at Thranduil translates to "Die a death of flames".
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:46 am

Just curious, is anyone else a sucker for female Bilbo stories, or is it just me? (it might not even be fem!Bilbo/Thorin, just with a girl Bilbo)
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:43 am

Nope. I like my Middle-earth males as males. :)
knight and scribe
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:18 am

Ah. Then I'm just weird. ;)
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:53 am

Not necessarily. I'm sure there are a number of fans who like fem!Bilbo, even for non-romantic purposes. I've probably seen some fem!Bilbo fanart that I appreciated. I think I'm more interested in genderbending in art than in writing... I dunno. Probably because I think that, because of the gender switch, something about the character will be / is lost? *shrugs*
knight and scribe
Ajnos
Site Admin

Post by Ajnos » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:04 pm

I've never come across any female Bilbo fan-fiction, but then I actually don't read fanfiction very often (contrary to public opinion). I did, however, come across an article about a year ago about a mother who swapped the pronouns while reading The Hobbit to her children.

I forget the original motivation, it might have been something like one of her children randomly decided that Bilbo should be a girl :P. So she started reading it swapping all Bilbo's pronouns to female (and possibly changing some of the other characters' too; I don't remember). In principle, the idea doesn't appeal to me, but she said that it created some interesting new dynamics in the story (so it kinda resulted in a retelling - a kinda AU I guess). By the end of the article, I wasn't entirely against the idea as an experiment, although generally I like the gender of the characters as Tolkien created them just fine, and I do think gender identity and differentiation are important.
Thank you for the set Happy!!

Born a Daughter of Eve; Now a Daughter of the Second Adam
elanorelle
Contributor

Post by elanorelle » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:24 am

Peter Hollens' cover of "The Last Goodbye":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD1c7795z-M
(Youtube is not affiliated with TLC. Click at your own risk and watch for the creatures that lurk there.)
ShiofNarnia
Knight

Post by ShiofNarnia » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:41 pm

Saw it! :) While I love Peter Hollens and think he did a good performance of this, I'm partial to Billy Boyd's version. :)
Lady Shi, Royal Photographer and Otter Keeper
elanorelle
Contributor

Post by elanorelle » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:54 pm

I'm partial to it too. :)

Return to “Town Square Archives”