Frozen discussion thread *SPOILERS*

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Ajnos, White Rose, Swanwhite, kristi

elanorelle
Contributor

Frozen discussion thread *SPOILERS*

Post by elanorelle » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:02 am

This thread can be used for anything regarding the film Frozen. I know it's a bit late to post anything having to do with it now but better late than never, right?

As a warning there definitely can and will be spoilers posted within this thread.
____________________________________________________________________________________________
I'm not going to go into too much detail concerning the movie I'll just a say few things about it. :)

It's been a while since I saw it but it's still pretty fresh in my mind. The movie as a whole wasn't exactly what I was expecting but that's good; I liked how it seemed as if it was going to be like every other princess movie, you know the prince/hero saves the princess/girl, (at the point when one of the characters, a troll perhaps, said "an act of true love" and subsequently "a true love's kiss" I sighed), but the sudden and unexpected turn of events was overall pleasant.

If I were to compare both Tangled and Frozen each would win in different categories. I prefer how Tangled's songs were integrated in the story but Frozen's felt a little oddly placed (the singing of lines and stuff). Frozen's storyline seemed much more original and more relateable to me so I enjoyed that part better than Tangled's. There are probably others I have but these are the ones I'm getting off of the top of my head.

So I truly do like Frozen especially the sister relationship since I can strongly relate to it. The only complaint I have is Hans (and the circumstances surrounding his character)... I mean ugh-really?! REALLY?! He seemed like such a great character at first but turned out to be just a Sir Gilfrey. There is so much more I could say about him... >.<

What are your thoughts on the film?
albero1
Knight
Location: SCREAMING because 21 Pilots just released a new song! *victory dance*

Re: Frozen discussion thread *SPOILERS*

Post by albero1 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:50 pm

Well... I thought it was lovely. I have to disagree with you on how the music was oddly placed... I thought it was great (because I would sing everything I said if I had the voice ;) )

Let's see... what about favorite line? Mine would have to be either this one:

Ana: Now, don't let yourself be seen!
Olaf: Okay! *disappears behind some houses* Hello!
Random lady: *screams*

Or this one:

Olaf: If I was in summer, I'd be a... *stops in front of puddle**jumps over puddle*... happy snowman! (Incidentally, "puddle" rhymes with whatever word it was that he had sung in the line before)

Or, maybe this one:

Olaf: *finishes his song about summer*
Christophe: *to Ana* Someone's gotta tell him.
Olaf: *starts going on and on about how lovely summer would be*
Christophe; I'm gonna tell him.
Ana: You will NOT!

Oh! I almost forgot about this one:

Olaf: What's the name of the funky donkey?
Ana: Oh! He's Sven.
Olaf: And the reindeer?
Ana: ...Sven...

Have you figured out by now that Olaf is my favorite character? He's so sweet (AND absolutely hilarious!)

And... I have no complaints about Hans. I have this thing against a normal prince/princess romance, so I almost literally jumped up and screamed "YEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!" when he was evil. :D Besides, Christophe was right, she didn't even know Hans' last name! (although she didn't know Christophe's, either...)
Lady Albero, Royal Vocalist and Scrivener of Fanfictions, Knight of TLC
Lyrics from House of Gold by Twenty One Pilots
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:37 pm

I agree with Elanor on the songs. I like the songs, don't get me wrong (with the exception of the line "No right, no wrong, no rules for me" in "Let It Go"). But I felt like they kind of stopped the story, inserted the songs, and then started up the movie again. The only song I thought flowed smoothly in and out of the story was "Fixer-Upper".

I loved the sister relationship, even if I still question how they could possibly be as close as they are if Elsa has shut herself away for a good 10+ years....

I liked that Hans was actually a baddie (heehee, Elanor, I appreciate that you referenced the Snake!) and that Anna socked him good on the schnozz. However, I didn't get the feeling of a relationship building between Christoph and Anna either till the end when she presented the new sled.

Elsa's struggle is relatable. Olaf is amusing. Anna's good and dedicated. The Duke of Weasleton was properly irritating. Sven's expressions are wonderfully paired with Christoph's dialoguing for him.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
elanorelle
Contributor

Post by elanorelle » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:18 pm

I guess I'm the only one with this Hans problem... I think the main reason I have such a problem with him being the villain is that after he and Anna first meet (when he is in the water) he gives a "lovesick" or "longing" look and as I told my sister, Eria, if the look was different I probably would not have much of a problem with him.
narniagirl11
Knight

Post by narniagirl11 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:56 pm

Sorry, this is really bugging me guys. His name is Kristoff. Just so you know.

I loved the songs, they did seem to break in and out instead of flowing with the movie. Ariel, I agree with you about that line in 'Let it Go' however, I was really happy how they showed and Elsa realized that she really couldn't be free, not without hurting people. There were consequences for her freedom. On the subject of songs, I wish that Kristoff or Anna and Kristoff would have had a song to sing together. I would have liked to hear Kristoff sing more than his little song with Sven. That said, I thought that song was quite funny. I like how Kristoff gave Sven a voice, and Sven had body language that made it seem like he was saying what Kristoff said. My favorite conversation between the two goes like this:
Sven: "But she'll die on her own!"
Kristoff: "I can live with that."
Sven: "But then you won't get your new sled!"
Kristoff: "Sometimes I don't really like you."

Also about songs, on youtube (site not affiliated with TLC) look for the Frozen (OST) Outtake songs edition of the soundtrack. The songwriters recorded and released several songs that did not make the cut for the movie, but are still just as good. I'm really hoping that they'll be able to incorporate some of these discarded songs into the Broadway musical version. Some of them won't work, and that's why they were cut, but some of them could be worked in. :) Two of my favorites are "More Than Just the Spare" and "Life's Too Short" and it's reprise. So go check those out!

I loved how Hans was evil. I also love how the writer's gave you only one hint that he could possibly be bad. In 'Love is an Open Door' he gestures out at the town and says that he's been searching for his own place. The reaction of my family members was hilarious when they realized that Hans was evil (I had seen it already, so I knew what was coming). I was okay with Anna punching him, but I did want to see what Kristoff would have done to him because he loves and protects Anna.
~~Throne Warden of Anniera~~
Thank you, Ela, for the wonderful set!
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm

@Engee: Ah, thank you. I knew I was spelling Kristoff's name wrong!
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
elanorelle
Contributor

Post by elanorelle » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:17 pm

@Engee Ooh I'll have Eria check out those songs!
Yes I have to say that the reaction in the theater to Hans' sudden treachery was great, everyone seemed to gasp. :D I like when audiences are /that/ engrossed in the films.
narniagirl11
Knight

Post by narniagirl11 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:40 pm

@Elanor Haha, yeah! The audience was great at the theater I was in. At one point, Olaf says, "Winter's a good time to stay in a cuddle, but put me in summer and I'll be a..." and he's standing right in front of a puddle, and one little girl in the audience shouted out, "A puddle!!" It was so cute and everyone laughed.
~~Throne Warden of Anniera~~
Thank you, Ela, for the wonderful set!
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:03 pm

I, personally, loved Frozen. I thought the songs were great, and the characters were great, too.

Just a little side note here, my mom loved the movie. My mom isn't the biggest 'new' Disney fan out there; she does like the older ones, but I don't think Tangled (really the only 'newer' movie she's seen) impressed her that much. In her own words,
My favorite part about it was how the true love was between sisters.
And I also liked how it showed that love-at-first-sight isn't always real.
So, yeah. :)
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
ShiofNarnia
Knight

Post by ShiofNarnia » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:01 am

Wow there's already a lot going on in this thread! :)

So personally I loved Frozen. I thought the songs were great and the film was something different than most princess movies. I like that it was Anna's act of true love in saving her sister that thawed her frozen heart, rather than a "true love's kiss."

I knew before that Hans was a bad guy, so that kind of spoiled having a reaction for me. But I think it was a good twist. And I like that Elsa tells Anna she can't marry a man she just met, and how Kristoff's like "You got engaged to someone you just met THAT day?!?!" LOL.

I love Kristoff and how he talks for Sven. Engee, I think I said the same thing about wishing Kristoff had sung more. But then Always pointed out that that wouldn't have really fit his character. Like him singing the song with Sven did fit him, but singing other that that wouldn't really.

I did not care for the outtake songs, and I'm glad they used what they did in the film.

Olaf is hilarious, he has so many great lines. :)

As for Elsa, I came across a verse in the Bible one day that reminded me of her. (Please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Frozen is a spiritual movie or anything :) Just was reminded of Elsa.) It was:

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love. (1 John 4:18 NASB)

So Elsa couldn't love cause she was full of fear, but she didn't have fear any more once she discovered that it was love that would thaw. Love casts out fear.

Again, I'm just making an application. :)
Lady Shi, Royal Photographer and Otter Keeper

Return to “Town Square Archives”